R system

zapp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Im not following you. Are you saying these are the same design as the FDs only they introduced USM between the elements?

I was only referring to your tank engine to move the mass comment, Rob ... no matter what was done all you care about is end results, right? the EF lenses are better ones.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well they completely changed their designs to accomodate AF and IS, and so that they didnt need the tank engine I think is what I meant. Are there any EFs any more I thought they were all across the the fast focus of USM? Maybe in the consumer lenses.

Which Canon and Contax lenses eat the Leica equivalent?

Well they completely changed their designs to accomodate AF and IS, and so that they didnt need the tank engine I think is what I meant. Are there any EFs any more I thought they were all across the the fast focus of USM? Maybe in the consumer lenses.

Which Canon and Contax lenses eat the Leica equivalent?

But then Leica could/should completely change their design TOO.

Regarding which Canon/Contax eats their Leica peer ... I don't think that Leica has peers in many focal lengths and comparable speeds. A 24/1.4? a 17-35/2.8? .... this is a moot point. Leica should go beyond themselves ...

• 3 weeks later...

From 2000 through 2003 I was a member of a camera club. All slides I submitted for competitions were exposed with my beloved R8 and numerous lenses. Everybody else in the club used Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, and other manufacturers' cameras and lenses, not Leica's. Yet there was no doubt, competition after competition, that my R lenses produced more impactful images than the other members' lenses did. Most of the members' color prints and slides were flawed, demonstrating the resolution limitations of their lenses as well as their lack of composition and exposure knowledge. One night at the club, I asked several seniors if they ever used Leica equipment. They all said they had earlier in their lives, adding, "Just about everybody used to!" I then asked, "So why don't you continue to, now?" The two answers I got were "Oh, my eyesight isn't perfect anymore" and "My hands aren't perfect anymore". Jokingly, I first responded with "Would you turn down an evening of wonderful sex with your mate because of either of those factors?" and then with "Well, concerning your eyesight, don't you remember how easy it is to set the hyperfocal distance on prime lenses, and concerning your hands, truly you can't believe there is a substantial difference between holding a Leica and holding a Nikon or a Canon!" I think they all got sucked into the camera manufacturers' hype about autofocus and its "do everything" nature. The latest hype, of course, is about digital photo capturing. I'm never going to abandon my R8 and Leica's outstanding R lenses, thank you!

Hello Terry.

Welcome aboard.

Some years ago on this forum, I also spoke about having slide nights with friends.

Only two in our group used Leica SLR, most used cameras from Japan.

Looking at our slides though my Pradovit 1500CA and the colorplan they would all

claim the Leica lenses superiority over their Japanese lenses.

What we found was the Leica was No 1 followed by Pantex, Minolta,Qlympus, Nikon

And Canon.

Most did not use Canon for Railway Photography, but things have changed now with Canon EOS system and Digital.

I still use the Leica R, and consider it the best system I have ever used.

The quality of the lenses is second to none, comparing my Leica M 35mm f2 ASPH to my

50mm R- f2 ROM, I have noticed the R lens is superior and my 90mm f2 Canadain is just awasome.

I am still to fully test my new 100mm 2.8 APO but on my slides the 90mm is still showing the edge.

More test are required with the 100mm 2.8.

Like you, I am not fully into this Digital imaging, It's a pity so many young people are taking it on.

Digital has it's good points, but nothing looks better the a Projected slide.

They are spending a fortune on these Electronic cameras so as to view them on their

Computers or get them printed on a 6x4 print.

Currantly in my stable I have the SL, R7's, R8 and R9, they are my work horses.

I also use an M7 on occasions , it's my show pony.

But the Leica R's are my favourite.

The file att was,,,,,,,

Shot some years ago at speed with the Leica SLR on Slide Film.

It's a pity that this Electronic image doesn't convey the atmospher and quality that the slide has.

Long live Leica R.

Ken.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hamey, you will be completely astounded about the optical quality of the 100mm 2.8 APO R lens once you use it and get the results back! Every subject I have aimed it at has ended up with the most incredible quality I have seen! Whether using print or slide film with it, it is totally amazing! Have fun with it...when you get the results back from the lab or from your darkroom, you will think you've ingested a tab of LSD!!!!

Terry