M to micro four thirds adapter

alexc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Although I find this somewhat incredible. I was chatting with one of the local Leica dealers who I can safely say stays on top of things and is also a Panasonic dealer and he volunteered there is speculation that Leica will build - at some point- micro 4/3 lenses. Why they would do such a thing is beyond me, and it does raise the specter of auto-focus, etc. Panasonic in it's road map lists a 20mm 1.7 for next year.

Best regards. Terry.

Hi Terry,

The "specter of auto focus" can be found playing in the 4/3rds Pany/Leica lenses and those for the S2 and the R10(?). If Leica builds mFT lenses and Panasonic said that there will be Leica branded lenses eventually, they might be designed by Panasonic, built to Leica standards and labeled Leica. There are also the specters of IS and software correction slithering around under our noses.

Bob

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the physically smaller lenses - the Elmars and Elmarits would make for a great travel camera along with the CV 15. The WATE becomes a not particularly useful 32 - 42mm zoom.

What we do not know, of course, is how well the sensor copes with the same design issues which dogged the M8 - the oblique light angles causing sensor vignetting and loss of detail. Of course, with a sensor crop of 2, the worst degradation will happen outside the sensor area.

FWIW, I use the NLA Nikon F-mount version of the CV 12mm f/5.6 lens with a 4/3 adapter on my DMC-L1 for an effective focal length of 24mm and have found that even with the center crop imposed by the 2X multiplication factor, the corners end up slightly soft and dark when it's used wide open. Fortunately, this improves quite nicely at f/8, but then the image overall starts to soften when you stop down further to f/11, so I've come to view this as effectively a fixed-aperture lens.

Since the M- and F-mount versions of this lens share the exact same design, with the only difference being how the elements are collectively positioned in the mount, I can't imagine the M-version will perform any differently than my F-version does when used on a m4/3 camera.

• 2 weeks later...
Just got a word from cameraquest that adapters M to micro four thirds will be available in late December. I think this is great. I am looking forward to use G1 with my leica lenses.

There will be no autofocus of course.

It would be interesting to see comments.

Does anyone know of an adaptor maker or supplier to fit normal, not micro, four thirds lens to an M8. I have a Leica 25mm f1.4asph and a Zuiko 50mm-200mm f2.8-f3.5 that I would love to use on my M8

Does anyone know of an adaptor maker or supplier to fit normal, not micro, four thirds lens to an M8. I have a Leica 25mm f1.4asph and a Zuiko 50mm-200mm f2.8-f3.5 that I would love to use on my M8

If one doesn't exist, S.K. Grimes Services for Large Format Photographers, CNC Photographer's Machinist can probably make one for you. It will likely take a few weeks and won't be inexpensive (although it will be reasonable given the amount of work that's involved), but it will work properly and look professional. I've used them for a few projects with my large-format cameras and been very happy with their prices and quality of work.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The lens mount registration of the FT system is around 39mm, which is quite a bit longer than the M mount registration of 27.8mm. FT lenses would not focus to infinity on the M8 and they would become macro lenses with no way to focus, since there is no live view.

Bob

The lens mount registration of the FT system is around 39mm, which is quite a bit longer than the M mount registration of 27.8mm. FT lenses would not focus to infinity on the M8 and they would become macro lenses with no way to focus, since there is no live view.

You have this backwards. It's because the 4/3 flange to sensor register is longer than the M8's that using 4/3 lenses on an M8 is potentially possible, since the difference between the two registers (38.67mm - 28.7mm) is where the room for the adapter comes from.

You have this backwards. It's because the 4/3 flange to sensor register is longer than the M8's that using 4/3 lenses on an M8 is potentially possible, since the difference between the two registers (38.67mm - 28.7mm) is where the room for the adapter comes from.

I am not sure that 4/3rds lenses focus mechanically. Yes they have a focus ring but I have a feeling that when you turn it, this sends a signal to the camera, which then alters the focus using the normal focus motor. It would seem to me as if this is how quite a few of AF systems which have manual override work. For example, on a Digilux 2, you could turn the focus ring with the camera switched off and nothing happens. It is in effect a pseudo manual focus.

Wilson

I am not sure that 4/3rds lenses focus mechanically. Yes they have a focus ring but I have a feeling that when you turn it, this sends a signal to the camera, which then alters the focus using the normal focus motor. It would seem to me as if this is how quite a few of AF systems which have manual override work. For example, on a Digilux 2, you could turn the focus ring with the camera switched off and nothing happens. It is in effect a pseudo manual focus.

Wilson

Yes, you are correct for most 4/3rds lenses except the most recent from Olympus. I just can't wait to mount my 90AA and manual focus with the 10X focus assist and behold..........

Right you are and I'll have to log that one in as a "scary senior moment" :eek: My five ZD lenses wouldn't work, since the focus by wire needs power from the body to work and with no aperture ring, would bve restricted to wide open.

Bob

Will the M-4/3 adapter work on any 4/3 body or just the G1?

It will work ONLY on *micro 4/3* bodies, and at present G1 is the only one commercially available.

It will NOT work on *regular 4/3* bodies, such as the Olympus dSLR´s, the Panasonic L1 and L10, or the Leica Digilux 3.

It will work ONLY on *micro 4/3* bodies, and at present G1 is the only one commercially available.

It will NOT work on *regular 4/3* bodies, such as the Olympus dSLR´s, the Panasonic L1 and L10, or the Leica Digilux 3.

When I was playing with the G1 at Photokina, I commented that although it was a very clever camera, the build quality was a bit plasticky. The person demonstrating, said he understood that an Olympus would be coming out in about February with a higher quality body and with "in-camera" image stabilisation. However at about the same time, Panasonic would be bringing out another micro 4/3rds camera, basically a G1 with HD clip capacity.

Wilson

Novoflex will soon be releasing a Leica M to micro 4/3 adapter. Adapters for other lenses also will be available later. Press release below:

News from Novoflex

Adapter for Leica M-lenses in

MicroFourThirds-Standard

The name Novoflex stands as a synonym for creative trouble-

shooting. A new creation are the adapters for the

MicroFourThirds-Standard, which will expand the company’s

innovative product portfolio from middle of December 2008.

The new MicroFourThirds-Standard, which was presented on

the occasion of photokina 2008 will strongly influence camera

production. Due to the new sensor and bayonet, extremely

compact camera systems will be available in the future. The

best example is the first available MicroFourThirds camera on

the market, the Lumix G1 from Panasonic. But also Olympus

has already presented prototypes of a new camera which will

be available presumably in spring 2009. Further competitors

will follow definitely.

As one of the first suppliers of photo accessories, Novoflex

reacted to the new demands of the market, launching an

adapter which enables the user to connect Leica M-lenses to

cameras with MicroFourThirds-Standard. Thus, customers

buying a MicroFourThirds-camera will be able to choose from

a large variety of high-quality lenses.

The adapter provides a high precise correction of the flange

focal length difference and enables focussing to infinity with all

lenses. Moreover, in case of the Lumix G1, automatic exposure

metering via working aperture / aperture priority is possible.

In addition to the adapter for Leica M-lenses, which will be

available from middle of December 2008, other MicroFourThirds-

adapters for Leica R, Nikon, Contax/Yashica, Olympus OM,

Pentax, and – for the first time – Minolta MD lenses are under

development. Market introduction is planned for February 2009.

By the way: Novoflex offers a vast selection of adapters for

nearly every lens-/camera combination. A visit on the website

NOVOFLEX Praezisionstechnik GmbH is a real revelation for every amateur or

professional photographer.

The new MicroFourThirds-Adapter (order code MFT/LEM) will be

available at a price of 149.00 Euro (recommended retail price).

Further information and proofs of delivery from Novoflex

Präzisionstechnik GmbH, Brahmstrasse 7, 87700 Memmingen,

Germany, Phone +49 83 31 / 8 88 88, E-Mail: mail@novoflex.de

or in the Internet under NOVOFLEX Praezisionstechnik GmbH.

Guest DuquesneG

Oh crap.

When I was playing with the G1 at Photokina, I commented that although it was a very clever camera, the build quality was a bit plasticky. The person demonstrating, said he understood that an Olympus would be coming out in about February with a higher quality body and with "in-camera" image stabilisation.

Whew! Judging by my experience with Panasonics (of the p&s variety, including the Leica-rebadged versions) I'm not about to buy any more of them, as I found them several notches below Canon and Nikon's p&s offerings of similar specs especially in noise processing. I'd be up for an Oly though, as a backup to my M8 (and sell off the other M8).