M to micro four thirds adapter

alexc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The "focus zone zoomed" is operated through the focus ring on the lens (actually I had forgotten it was an autofocus camera and moved it instinctly ;) )

Therefore, yes there is electronic circuity involved. (unless the software can detect the focal variation... ) M focus through the LCD will be an other story... much more complicated IMO, forget about quick snaps.

You can invoke the magnified focus by pressing the left arrow followed by the menu button, even if the automatic feature is not turned on. It is a bit clunky, but with a little practice it is a reasonable work around. I assume this is independent of the electronics of the lens but of course until I get the adoptor this is a matter of conjecture. To my mind the magnification feature provides an excellent way to focus, even with my somewhat poor eyesight. I have an adoptor on order from CameraQuest but must wait to January to have it in hand. Also I find SilkyPix to be about one of the most unpleasant software products I've come across, so for the moment I'm using the raw + jpeg setting and putting the results into aperture, which of course informs one that the raw files are of an unknown type. I assume that eventually the Gods of Apple will send forth a suitable raw developer for the G1. Without the kit lens the G1 is quite small compared to my M8 and lots lighter. I look forward to putting one of my small cv lenses on it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey Bill

,,,could you share your feelings about the g1?....is the image quality in the m8 league?...I've decided to get a canon 5d mii instead of another m8 or m8.2 -it's half the price for one and having had a 1dsii in the past i know what to expect ....and i wanted a second system for high iso...though i only wish there was such an adaptor for the canon so to use the lieca glass on it...but if it works on the g1 then that's a plus if the sensor on it is real m quality...thanks

mike

Mike Cetta | Fine Art Photographer

I think that the G1 may be a very good backup for the M8. Image quality from the G1 sensor looks very good, even with the kit lens. Samples here:

Panasonic Lumix G1 Photo Gallery by Carl Schofield at pbase.com

I was looking to get a G1 in the US next month for my son for his travel gap year after he graduates next June. If there is going to be an M to G1 adapter, I would be very tempted to get one for myself as well. I suppose the sensible thing would be to see how well it works on my son's one before committing to another.

Wilson

thanks Carl for sharing those pics

...nice work and the files are impressive...they should really shine with Leica glass,,,how is the G1 at high iso?

mike

Mike Cetta | Fine Art Photographer

Mike,

I haven't used high ISO very much, but here are some high ISO samples that others have posted on DPR:

G1 low light samples, 400, 800 & 1600 ISO [Page 1]: Panasonic Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

G1 at EV0, ISO 100-3200 [Page 1]: Panasonic Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Carl

Those are not at all bad and most of the noise seems to be luminance rather than chrominance, which to my eye is much more acceptable. As someone posted on that site, very impressive for Panasonic whose forte up until now has not been low noise.

Wilson

Would Leica dare to bring out a PanaLeica version including a PL-G1 to Leica M adapter, especially if it turned out to take better photos than the M8, when fitted with real Leica glass - horrors!

Wilson

Thank you for posting these links. The photos look promising! I am in for one! With my lens collection, the G1 and the M8 will get me the range from 21 (with CV15mm) to 150 (with 75mm Summarit).

No IR cut filter

No parallax error

I am curious about how quiet the shutter is. Can anyone comment on this?

This will be a nice back up. Well, I am not sure which one will be the back up, G1 or M8..:confused:

Cheers

Thank you for posting these links. The photos look promising! I am in for one! With my lens collection, the G1 and the M8 will get me the range from 21 (with CV15mm) to 150 (with 75mm Summarit).

No IR cut filter

No parallax error

I am curious about how quiet the shutter is. Can anyone comment on this?

This will be a nice back up. Well, I am not sure which one will be the back up, G1 or M8..:confused:

Cheers

The G1 is very quiet compared to my M8. Here is a sound clip from the DCR review comparing the G1 shutter sound to that of a Canon 50D:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_g1-review/shutter_sounds.mov

Err... if the 75mm Summarit gives a 2x focal length extension, so too will the CV 15mm - it will be the equivalent of 30mm on a FF camera.

I think the physically smaller lenses - the Elmars and Elmarits would make for a great travel camera along with the CV 15. The WATE becomes a not particularly useful 32 - 42mm zoom.

What we do not know, of course, is how well the sensor copes with the same design issues which dogged the M8 - the oblique light angles causing sensor vignetting and loss of detail. Of course, with a sensor crop of 2, the worst degradation will happen outside the sensor area.

I tried the camera at Photokina and liked it. Does anyone know if the body is available by itself, or do you have to buy the kit lens, like it or not?

Err... if the 75mm Summarit gives a 2x focal length extension, so too will the CV 15mm - it will be the equivalent of 30mm on a FF camera.

I think the physically smaller lenses - the Elmars and Elmarits would make for a great travel camera along with the CV 15. The WATE becomes a not particularly useful 32 - 42mm zoom.

What we do not know, of course, is how well the sensor copes with the same design issues which dogged the M8 - the oblique light angles causing sensor vignetting and loss of detail. Of course, with a sensor crop of 2, the worst degradation will happen outside the sensor area.

I tried the camera at Photokina and liked it. Does anyone know if the body is available by itself, or do you have to buy the kit lens, like it or not?

Just the kit lens.

I read on another forum that the focus zoom can be activated at will with one of the buttons on the fourway control right under your thumb. The person reporting this had the FT>mFT adapter and had used OM and R lenses with their adapters.

Bob

Should have read the manual. Thanks for sharing this info. It works indeed by pressing the left arrow followed by the menue button.

Err... if the 75mm Summarit gives a 2x focal length extension, so too will the CV 15mm - it will be the equivalent of 30mm on a FF camera

Well, I was saying with 2 bodies, G1 and M8 (2 crop factors), the range would be from 21 (more like 20mm) on M8 to 150mm on G1;)

cheers

Although I find this somewhat incredible. I was chatting with one of the local Leica dealers who I can safely say stays on top of things and is also a Panasonic dealer and he volunteered there is speculation that Leica will build - at some point- micro 4/3 lenses. Why they would do such a thing is beyond me, and it does raise the specter of auto-focus, etc. Panasonic in it's road map lists a 20mm 1.7 for next year.

Best regards. Terry.

I played around with the G1 and tried using manual legacy lenses with a M42 screw mount lens with a four thirds adapter. Used this lens with the four thirds adapter connected to the four thirds to micro four thirds adapter and the camera was unable to meter (stopped down) as it does with my Olympus E cameras. I then found in the menu a feature called Release without lens which I had disactivated in my Digilux 3 to allow it to use legacy lenses. You must do the same with the G1 although I think that with the G1 you must set this to ON instead of OFF (not sure about this). After setting this, the camera worked with legacy lenses in the stopped down mode with Aperture preferred.

Question is, how is the camera when used with manual stop down lenses. If you want to shoot at f16 (some might) the light reaching the sensor and hence EVF is going to be much reduced. The M lenses of course are not auto-aperture so it's like the bad old days of stop down metering, except it's now stop down metering, focussing and framing. Not good.

Question is, how is the camera when used with manual stop down lenses. If you want to shoot at f16 (some might) the light reaching the sensor and hence EVF is going to be much reduced. The M lenses of course are not auto-aperture so it's like the bad old days of stop down metering, except it's now stop down metering, focussing and framing. Not good.

Hi Mark,

I use legacy lenses on my E-1 & E-3 and what you describe keeps me in the wider apertures. On the G-1 though the EVF will gain-up, which should allow using smaller apertures. The EVF does eventually start acting strange as the light diminishes and f/16 would be well into the diffraction zone. When I want to close that far down with the E-3, say for macro, I reach for a dedicated macro lens, like the ZD 50 or 35, with auto diaphrams.

Bob