The One Challenge 2006 - Paris

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know a nice restaurant near Opera where the members of the "Chasseur d'Images" french forum have their dinner when they meet.

They have a room upstair which can accomodate up to 20 persons easily and it should be no pb to book them a few weeks before the event.

However, once again, we need to know how many people will attend and how much they are ready to pay for a meal.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know a very nice Italian restaurant (not expensive) near the Louvre, but that's not quite the same, is it? :)

Italian is fine. I always eat italian whenever in UK. As long as it's not Fish'n Chips ;-) or any other :eek: English "cousine" :D:D

No, seiously. I'm spoiled because we have many great cafés here in my town - all inspired by france and most of them serving a nice steak, italian/internatlional inspired dish for what would be 100 F (15$).

The smart thing was if the starting point and ending point was the same as most of us could get lost in 10 minutes in Paris. So centrally with good car parking, great food, french legs passing by ...

Italian is fine. I always eat italian whenever in UK. As long as it's not Fish'n Chips ;-) or any other :eek: English "cousine"

No, seiously. I'm spoiled because we have many great cafés here in my town - all inspired by france and most of them serving a nice steak, italian/internatlional inspired dish for what would be 100 F (15$).

The smart thing was if the starting point and ending point was the same as most of us could get lost in 10 minutes in Paris. So centrally with good car parking, great food, french legs passing by ...

I am sure that we can find some bacon and pastries so that you feel at home. :p

British cuisine has come a long way from those heady days of rationing in the 50s. You can probably eat as well in Britain as anywhere in the world these days, and with more variety.

If I were you I'd think about leaving the car at home. Paris isn't exactly "foreign-driver-friendly" (or maybe that's just "right-hand-driver" friendly...) and unless you want your car to look like it's always been parked in Paris (a process which takes about 35 minutes and involves several dents and scratches :) ), you might be better off getting the train... Parisiens don't seem too concerned about such matters in my experience.

When will you be arriving?

I know a nice restaurant near Opera where the members of the "Chasseur d'Images" french forum have their dinner when they meet.

They have a room upstair which can accomodate up to 20 persons easily and it should be no pb to book them a few weeks before the event.

However, once again, we need to know how many people will attend and how much they are ready to pay for a meal.

What's the name of the restaurant, Pascal? We may be able to check out the menu and prices over the 'net.

Near the Opera sounds expensive ;)

Chez Edouard

square Edouard VII

75009 Paris.

Usually we pay 30€ for starters, main dish, dessert, wine & coffee. I did not found it on the Net.

There are also some nice restaurants closer to the starting point but it will probably be more expensive.

I use to have lunch in some of them because I work here but I do not know how they will be on saturday nights. Crowded I think.

Chez Edouard

square Edouard VII

75009 Paris.

Usually we pay 30€ for starters, main dish, dessert, wine & coffee. I did not found it on the Net.

There are also some nice restaurants closer to the starting point but it will probably be more expensive.

I use to have lunch in some of them because I work here but I do not know how they will be on saturday nights. Crowded I think.

30€ is around £20 or US$35, which is pretty good value for a city centre meal with wine etc, I reckon.

This proposal is 1.5miles (2.4km) from the starting position and would be easy to walk to, or half a dozen stops on the Metro.

If I were you I'd think about leaving the car at home. Paris isn't exactly "foreign-driver-friendly" (or maybe that's just "right-hand-driver" friendly...) and unless you want your car to look like it's always been parked in Paris (a process which takes about 35 minutes and involves several dents and scratches :) ), you might be better off getting the train... Parisiens don't seem too concerned about such matters in my experience.

When will you be arriving?

It's going to be Lars Winther's car ;-) - thought - I love driving in Paris and Italy (no irony).

We haven't planned arrival exactly yet but we talked about arriving the day before just in time for dinner. Hmm, perhaps late dinner as it takles 12-14 hours driving there

The underground car parks offer an alternative to getting the car pranged on the streets, plus it's usually easier to find places :-). Last time I used them in Paris they were 20 Euros for 24hrs. Expensive, but compared to London prices...

The resto near Opera sounds excellent, 30 Euros sounds reasonable, count me in.

The first time I hired a car in Paris I picked up a Smart car from Easy car just off the Champs Elysees and the first thing I hit was Etoile, then Port Maillot! Now _that's_ an introduction to Parisian driving :-)

Driving in Paris or Italy is easy: The worst place where I drove was Texas were someone tried to really kill me because he couldn't overtake me (true story).

But I would indeed recommend avoid driving on Friday and Saturday afternoon and evening and parking at the hotel or in an underground park.

If we decide to go with the Opera restaurant, we'll just have to know the number of guests 2 weeks before, I think. I will contact the guy who usually makes the reservation for us and ask him about it.

" On the condition that conversation does not involve f-numbers, ISO, pixels, Acutol or anything else remotely related, apparently "

Sounds like 'words of wisdom' to me.:) . . . . courtesy Mrs Barton, no doubt.

Yep! Count me in. I'm not travelling 1/2 way round the world to complain about the cost of a meal. I just want to enjoy the experience. That done, I will pay whatever goes. My bank manager has the job of complaining when the credit card comes in.

Cheers,

Erl

I've been following this important discussion about a nice place.

There is one I could think of — actually two.

One is a place of fine traditional and no fuss french cuisine

rue de Condé, nearby Odéon. The thing is the place is not

big — 20 to 25 persons sitting at most.

The other one is an Italian, bit more fancy, maybe a bit

more expansive, nearby Invalides.

I'll be in Paris on the Oct 6 and 7.

Count us in too (2 of us - thanks)

On the condition that conversation does not involve f-numbers, ISO, pixels, Acutol or anything else remotely related, apparently :)

This will please the Mrs, please add two counts of Bretteville to the dinner as well. Although Andy, you know it will be all about the M8, there is no avoiding that....