Digital Reflex S2 - please post all thoughts here...

JohnG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Maybe it's all about pride, folks.

With a flagship like this, Leica could place themselves above Canon, Nikon et al, maintain its brand image and high ground in marketing/pricing. Perhaps they'll come back with a R with less pixels, lower specification when compared to their Japanese peers.

They know it won't sell a lot but it's NOT important.

Just my guess though ... and trying to stay upbeat!

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For an R8/R9 user who like Hasselblad the S2 looks great. Very solid and stable design lines (towards the Hasseblad and not clunky in a square way as other MF cameras).

If you have worked the R8/R9 you would like any new camera to be like that. And per the Flickr article, it's smaller than a Canon Mark III (and then R8/R9).

This one is aimed at those who normally fight their Hasselblad, Leaf and what have you. Not those who toss around with an M8 or a Nikon/Canon dSLR. So it's within "compact" even if it's the size of the R8/R9.

Okay, time to grab the kid out of Kindergarten and get ready in front of the screen. Wonder if the forum has bandwidth enough to deal with this?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yeah, What's looks fishy about it? Did someone over at Pro. Photographer photoshop up a version of the S2 and then do a layout for it, print it out and then scan it, all to put one over on the LUF?

it just looks like a comped up article.. hey I am thrilled with it.. but it just looks

uber massaged and lacking credentials

This one is aimed at those who normally fight their Hasselblad, Leaf and what have you.

eh ?

its not aimed at the hassleblad/sinar/leaf/mamiya

those cameras are at least half or even a third of the price..... And already proven.

imo its aimed at the same lone madman who'd consider buying a 10mp 8.2 for 4k or 0.95 50mm for over 6k.

it just looks like a comped up article.. hey I am thrilled with it.. but it just looks

uber massaged and lacking credentials

IIRC this is from the same stable as "Amateur Photographer" - the house style looks the same. Looks legit to me.

Those Leica emloyees quoted would be jumping up and down a lot if they'd not given any interviews.

eh ?

its not aimed at the hassleblad/sinar/leaf/mamiya

those cameras are at least half or even a third of the price.

Jackal, isn’t the Hasselblad H3II 39 a competitor to the Leica S2 feature-wise? Photo Partner sells the body + digital back for 27.999 Euros. Another 1.600 Euros for the standard lens. Do you expect the S2 to be over 50.000 Euros?

Jackal, isn’t the Hasselblad H3II 39 a competitor to the Leica S2 feature-wise? Photo Partner sells the body + digital back for 27.999 Euros. Another 1.600 Euros for the standard lens. Do you expect the S2 to be over 50.000 Euros?

the H3d-31 comes in at 9500 + vat

very little difference bewteen the 31 and the 39 and even less bewteen 31 and 37 !

No one really knows the OFFICIAL prices yet..............and I really don't care. For those of us who have been with Leica for years this is literally the re-invention of the company. They have re-set the bar, maintained the system they have had, are about to announce even more for the R as well, are building a new facility, really, what is there to complain about with this (unofficial) announcement?

Sure they still have some teething pains, every new product or company changes will - it's in the nature of things. But again, THIS IS WAY COOL !!!!!!!! Where's the Hefe Weiss!!!

this is great and I if the lens lineup and price is right, I will jump.

I use a hasselblad 503, SWC and CVF for studio and some location work and the quality is great, but handling is a pain in the a, especially with flash. was considering moving to the H3D but have doubts, as it is a big ugly thing and there is some debate about the quality of the 31 px sensor for wide-angle lenses.

the S2 seems to solve those problems, and I am sure I am not the only one who thinks this.

d

IIRC this is from the same stable as "Amateur Photographer" - the house style looks the same. Looks legit to me.

Those Leica emloyees quoted would be jumping up and down a lot if they'd not given any interviews.

great if it is.. I was afraid they would come up with something I would really covet..damn! looks great but I have lots of questions..can't wait to get the details

No one really knows the OFFICIAL prices yet..............and I really don't care.

I actually care because i'd like them to sell a few of these things and survive, and then my own M collection will remain useable and valid. If you yourself take the wider, more realist view instead of just salivating robotically at anything that bears the leica badge, you would care too.

The prices are undeniably very important and at the moment, if 30,000E is near correct then over a comparable HD3 or Sinar you are paying something like 17,000E premium all for an extra 6 megapixels or so.

Let's pray that sense prevails and Leica decide to price the thing with respect to the current market. Its not as if Hasslelblad is lower quality that Leica ! With respect, the pros will just laugh at having to invest 40-50k euros in a whole new system such as this.

Dr Kaufmann has stated that he's in this for the long term.

Makes you feel good to be a Leica reflex user :)

I have no plans to scrap my R glass. May even consider additions as I am certain that we will finally see the R10 soon.

the H3d-31 comes in at 9500 + vat

very little difference bewteen the 31 and the 39 and even less bewteen 31 and 37 !

Yepp, thats right for the 31 Megapixel H3D. Fotopartner sells it for 11.895 Euros inkl. VAT here in Germany. Isn’t this the latest Hasselblad promotion? The H3D 39 is still 27999 Euros. The Leaf AFi is about 28.500 Euros, the Sinar Hy6 about 26.000 Euros, both the Sinar and the Leaf with 33 Megapixels. So the S2 for something about 20.000 might be worth the money.

(http://www.fotopartner.de)