Buying a M8 in NYC

redfalo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Folks,

first of all merry christmas and a happy new year to everyone!

Although I live in Leicas home county I´m considering buying a M8 in America. Thanks to the current dollar exchange rate I´d save almost 1000 euro compared to the price in Germany. I´m going to be in New York City in January so there is an opportunity to buy it on spot. After some search here and on Amazon I came across three different Leica Shops in NYC: 17 th Street Photo, BH Photo and Photo Village.

Can anyone recommend one of those shops in particular? Or is it sensible to avoid one of these? Maybe there even is a better shop to buy an M8 not mentioned above? Do they have black M8s in stock usually?

I also wonder about warranty. Can anyone provide first-hand experince about how Solms deals with foreigh-bought M8s?

I have another question regarding those back focus problems I read about in this forum. Is it still recommended to test all lenses one possesses in advance before buying an M8? Or do they found a general solution in Solms?

Are there any other things to be looked at while buying an M8?

Thanks a lot in advance

Olaf

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Olaf, hope I'm not sounding like a party pooper, but to stay within the law you'll need to declare the camera when you re-enter the EU and pay VAT and possibly import duty.

I know that many people don't and just walk through the 'nothing to declare' channel, but it's possible that given the low value of the US dollar customs will take more of an interest in flights arriving from the US.

hello olaf,

i bought my m8 from a dealer in canada. at home in hamburg, i called leica customer service with the serial number and registered the camera over the phone without problem. it's a great camera - don't hesitate!

mit freundlichen gruessen

rick

Don't forget to factor sales tax into your equation. If you buy in NY you will have to add approx. $450 to the price.

Two other NY sources Camera Land (Lexington Ave between 51st and 52). They sell a lot of other equipment as well and aren't mentioned as often but I have found things in stock there when others had no stock.

Tamarkin - very well know dealer

Hi Olaf,

Ive been doing a lot of research into prices and the best I have found is in Robert White (http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=1566&PT_ID=359). This is a store based in England and Ive just ordered a black M8.

Because its their 25th anniversary or something they're giving away a zeiss lens with each camera, so in my case I'm getting a Leica M8 + 35/2 ZM Set. This is priced at £2644.00 (without VAT)

According to to XE converter :

Robert White (with lens) : €3629.00

BH Photo : €3806.00

17th Street : same

Of course, to avoid paying UK VAT, you need to have a European VAT number to buy the m8 from robert white at that price but if you do, could be a good deal...

Hope this is of some help,

Paddy

Don't forget to factor sales tax into your equation. If you buy in NY you will have to add approx. $450 to the price.

Plan B is to buy from an out-of-state supplier, and have them Fedex to you in New York; at $450, even overnight is going to be cheaper. Popflash is a good out-of-state supplier, although I don't know if they will Fedex to a hotel or whatever. Other than that, I've dealt with both Rich at Photo Village and with B&H and been happy with them. Based on reputation, I would not use 17th street.

Sandy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@ Paddy: Thanks a lot for the hint to Robert White. This sounds like a good alternative. Although I don´t have a German VAT numer (and German VAT is 1,5 percentage points higher than the one in UK) and would have to pay UK VAT those prices are quite reasonable. The downside is that I do not really need a Zeiss lens, I already use similar Leica lenses. I´m going to ask them what they would charge for a M8 without any additional lens (or with a 28 mm which I do own yet).

@ sandyman and TEB: Thanks a lot for the tax reminder. I´ll never get used to the strange habbit that you have to add sales taxes to all prices in the US. (In Germany all companies doing business with private customers have to list prices including VAT)

@ Steve: You´re perfectly right. Some people told me that after buying camera gear in the US they shipped the boxes, the invoices ect. home by mail and only took the gear itself on the plane...

At the end of the day I´m not sure if it wouldn´t be a better idea to buy the body at my local dealer anyway. Maybe I can get a discount with some hints to the option buying it abroad. This probably is more convenient in case there happen to be technical problems. (On the other hand: I dealt with Somls directly when my M7 had a hickup...)

To be honest I´m not totally convinced buying the M8 at all. I love my M7 and M6TTL and hesitate to more or less put them out of service after buying a M8... (I know, this is pretty irrational...) I´m also a little bit afraid of the technical track record of the M8 although I tend to believe that this forum distorts the whole truth of the camera...

Yours

Olaf

Olaf, while i am no expert in eu customs regulations, generally items for personnel

use are tax-free or taxed at a much reduced rate. especially if they have been used abroad.

my european collegues here go wild on german,italian,and british cars of all makes, and after some use export it back to the eu. at a very low tax rate.

the latest collegue exported the new aston martin with a grin on his face. and i

have seen porshe..ss bein exported to amsterdam with glee. all as personnnel items.

an m8 costs relatively much less.

best.

Olaf, hope I'm not sounding like a party pooper, but to stay within the law you'll need to declare the camera when you re-enter the EU and pay VAT and possibly import duty.

I know that many people don't and just walk through the 'nothing to declare' channel, but it's possible that given the low value of the US dollar customs will take more of an interest in flights arriving from the US.

I live in Canada, and last Feb, i had Photo Village FedEX me a black leica M8 body.

i would recommend them--i would say their customer support is fantastic. I'm hoping the next time I'm actually in NYC I will get the chance to stop in the shop.

William and Rich are great!

hope this helps.

I've worked with both B&H (extensively) and Tamarkin (less extensively) and have no complaints about either. B&H is considered by many to be the standard place to buy professional equipment and regardless of whether you decide to buy your M8 there, it is probably worth a visit just for the fun of walking around the store. It is huge, and you'll feel like a kid in a candy store. They have everything-- studio equipment, cameras of every ilk, high-end video and audio equipment, computers, a large used dept, etc.

That said, there is usually a large crowd at B&H and it is easy to feel rushed when trying to make a buying decision. Tamarkin is a smaller, more personal store. And Tamarkin specializes in Leica and knows it well whereas it is no doubt a small part of B&H's business.

Hi Olaf-

Everyone knows B & H. It is a huge place and has just about anything you could want. In my experience, you do need to know exactly what you want and be careful you are not getting gray market items. I agree it may be worth a visit just to check it out.

I have heard very good things about a smaller place in NYC, Fotocare, 136 West 21st St between 6th and 7th Ave. Telephone 212.741.2990. Never been there however.

As a suggestion, I have been buying my Leica stuff from Bergen County Camera in Westwood, New Jersey for almost 20 years (http://www.bergencountycamera.com). It's not far from NYC, and there is a train station just a few blocks away as many folks in the area work in NYC. They are a small store, laid back, no pressure and have much Leica in stock. Including the 50mm f/1.0 and 28 f2.8! As someone suggested, have it shipped to NY or take it with you and enjoy NJ 7% sales tax. I myself just purchased an M8 and 28 f2.8 and am very pleased.

BTW, I have lived in the NY metro area most of my life and can very easily drive to NYC. Instead, I choose BCC. Remember, Leica prices are standard anywhere so B & H will not be less expensive and they may not have the stock.

Good Luck!

Olaf -

I wholeheartedly recommend Photo Village. I purchased my M8 there and the staff are very friendly and helpful. I've never been to Tamarkin or Kurland, but they have a good reputation as well.

The good thing about these places is that they are smaller than the big shops (B&H and Adorama) and can therefore spend time with you to help you make a good decision. Sometimes at B&H with all the commotion and crowds the representatives and I feel rushed. Also, when you speak to one of the representatives, you might have someone that isn't necessarily a Leica user. At the three places above, you know they are Leica shooters and know the equipment and brand.

Ive bought a couple of lenses and acc. at PhotoVillage... very good service and selection.

Adorama has just renovated their store... very nice people and great prices.

B and H normaly has the best prices and the store itself is a must visit for any photographer in town..... but the staff can can be a bit testy ..... imagine if Parisian waiters sold cameras..thats the vibe at BnH

I bought my M8 at Popflah in LA.... you can buy it there and have them overnight the camera to your hotel in NYC and save the tax .... you really dont want to be paying taxes in the US with the current group of gangsters we have running the country.

I have some downtime in January ...please feel free to contact me if you need any help while youre in town....enjoy The City!

Ive bought a couple of lenses and acc. at PhotoVillage... very good service and selection.

I bought my M8 at Popflah in LA.... you can buy it there and have them overnight the camera to your hotel in NYC and save the tax .... you really dont want to be paying taxes in the US with the current group of gangsters we have running the country.

A bit off topic, but the taxes he would avoid go to the state and city governments, not to the federal government...

Yess, you are a party pooper..

I originally planned on buying an M8 when I went to Florida this autumn, but instead I bought it back home in Finland, reason I couldn't find a reliable source in Florida. The shops I emailed never replied. Now, I bet you are not going to experiance the same problem in NYC.

I didn't spend a lot of money on stuff in the US, only got 2 iPhones. Dumped the boxes just in case, but atleast the Finnish customs didn't seem to bother anyone on my flight.

One can discuss the morals of not paying VAT at your customs, I for one couldn't care less. I would have disposed of the M8 box, and only taken the essentials from it. If you carry the M8 over your shoulder trough customs you are in the safe.

Anyway, you get one FINE camera.

you will have to pay the 19% vat in germany, but the customs website in germany will give you also informations if there is any other tax.

and for all those cool guys who dont care to pay taxes while importing, you should be aware that every camera is registered in the country where it is sold, so through the serial number it can be always be checked where you bought it. and not paying taxes is at least here in germany a kind of criminal act and is punished hard. oh, i forgot, the guys at the customs for sure dont have internet and never read through forums where people ask questions like this one :rolleyes:

btw, taxes can be raised also years later, just in case you get checked at the customs you will have to prove that you paid taxes if it is imported, this applies at least to germany. thats why you can get from the german 'zoll' a paper called 'Vereinfachte Nämlichkeitsbescheinigung'.

for more informations about the german regulations you can have a look here (its in german): Kameraausrüstung und der Zoll, so funktioniert es! - DSLR-Forum