Leica & Leitz-Is there a big difference?

Lewis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

First of all i'd like to say hello as i'm new! :D

I recently sold my D-Lux 3 as I couldn't get on with it, but I constantly check ebay as i'm keen on getting an M6. I already have a Canon 5D SLR which I use for most of my photography (not pro or anything either) but i'd like to get myself a nice rangefinder, and from what i've read in the past, the Leica's are the one's to go for-besides, they look simply beautiful too! :p

Just wondering if there is a difference at all between the Leica and the cheaper Leitz models you see floating about on ebay.....it may be basic knowledge but it can be confusing when you are new to it all, due to all the different variations etc. Also what's the best M6 to go for as didn't they do a few different types?

If you guys could post up some image samples too that would be great,

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum, Lewis. You have landed at the right place :)

Firstly, I too have a D-Lux 3 that I can't get on with, so I have left it with my wife, who is very happy with it.

As far as Leitz and Leica are concerned, they are one and the same company. "Leica" stands for "Leitz Camera". I would be amazed if there were any M6s branded as Leitz (although the red dot may well say Leitz), as the cameras have been branded as Leicas since the very beginning. My M2, from 1960, has "Leica" engraved on the top.

If you want to see M photographs here, just go over to the Photo section. There are thousands (it's irrelevant which body was used, really, as it's the glass that makes the image - the body is merely a box to hold the film). Do an Advanced Search for M6 but restrict yourself to the Photo section while doing so

Hi Lewis,

As Andy says there is already lots of information on this forum on the various M types - just do a search. The right camera for you depends mostly on your lens choices and whether you want built in metering and or Auto exposure (see M7)

All M's apart from the M5 (larger size camera with meter) and M8 (digital) are basically the same body with different viewfinder specifications and with or without built in meters.

An M6 would be a good all round choice, wide range of frame lines (28 -135mm) and built in manual metering. There is the standard or 'classic' M6 and the TTL. The only difference is that the TTL has TTL flash metering (both have TTL normal metering).

I own an M2 which is a lovely and simple example of one of the earlier non metered models.

Good luck in your search.

Thanks for the response fella's.

Andy I managed to get some great shots with the d lux 3 on a recent trip to Berlin, but only on days when the light was good. From then on i've only managed to get pretty dissapointing results (lot's of noise in the images and a 'smudgy' type effect on them also)

It's a shame as I wanted to love the camera-I certainly loved the look of it anyway. And after seeing a friends Ricoh GRD and having a play with that I decided to sell the Leica on. On a whole I was a little dissapointed with image quality on most of my photo's, I wasn't sure whether it was my technique or what, but I did read the manual, and tried lots of different methods but eventually just decided to sell! I do miss it though still *sniff*

With a bit of luck i'll have the Ricoh for xmas, which will then become my main P&S camera. I also own a Nikon FM3A which I could never bring myself to sell, so i'm familiar with the use of a manual camera etc. So am I right in thinking the M6 doesn't have in built light meter? Are rangefinders regarded as a form of P&S camera or do they require a lot of fiddly setting up like a conventional SLR?

So am I right in thinking the M6 doesn't have in built light meter?

Welcome to the forum Lewis,

It DOES have a meter. I bought an M6 (M6 TTL to be exact) because I promised myself an M3, then the clever shop assistant told me that for a few quid more I could have an M4 which has more framelines for a greater range of lenses, and for a another few bucks I could get an M6 with built in meter. That's what I went for in the end. But it does tend to be that little tiny bit bulkier because the electronics are housed below the top plate and they raised the top plate height to accommodate them.

Another difference between the M6 and M6TTL, apart from what James as pointed out above, is the rotation direction of the shutter speed dial. One increases speed by rotating the dial anti-clockwise whereas all previous Leicas were clockwise. It might seem like a small point but makes usage easier when the camera is held against the eye because the rotation will be in the same direction as the meter arrow. A small point but some purists still argue about it :)

Are rangefinders regarded as a form of P&S camera or do they require a lot of fiddly setting up like a conventional SLR?

An interesting question. Both really. A fully manual camera - any M up to the M7 - needs to be set up like a fully manual SLR: you have to set exposure and focus. However rangefinders are more discrete than SLRs and can be used in a P&S way, for street photography for example, if you make your settings in advance then grab the shot as opportunity arises, rangefinders work faster than any P&S made.

Hope this helps.

Ask away, you are in the right place

Michael

Excellent stuff. Appreciate the info Michael. So basically the rangefinder will focus more quickly on a subject is that right? With a fixed lens set to infinity I mean? Or do you have to set the distance's like you would on a Lomo LCA? I'm just trying to get to grips with how it works! I'd like one I could literally put up to my eye and shoot a snap, rather than focusing in etc etc if that makes sense?

Excellent stuff. Appreciate the info Michael. So basically the rangefinder will focus more quickly on a subject is that right? With a fixed lens set to infinity I mean? Or do you have to set the distance's like you would on a Lomo LCA? I'm just trying to get to grips with how it works! I'd like one I could literally put up to my eye and shoot a snap, rather than focusing in etc etc if that makes sense?

If you focus at around 11 feet and use f8 then you'll have most things in focus, when using a 50 or a 35.

Lewis - If you live near a dealer...go to the shop and put an M6 and an earlier model in your hands. I'm a firm believer in wherever possible, trying things first to see how they work with ME, not somebody else. I mention this because although I like my M6, I LOVE my M4...it just feels better in my hands.

Take a trip to Aperture Photographic, they are very patient with browsers and have an excellent stock of M's so you'll be able to try out most variants (I was there last night and walked out with another camera!).

If you bring a roll of film with you they'll probably let you shoot with one, to see how you get on.

www.apertureuk.com