m11 hitch? Lately after shutter shit, never focus

augustnspring

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, augustnspring said:

however i’ve nvr quite got used using a range finder view so i do take most of my photos looking at the lcd.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I'm not being rude but if you don't like using a rangefinder, wouldn't you have been happier with a Leica Q?
One of the great joys of photography is the experience that using a rangefinder can provide. It seems tragic that you're using your Live View instead (however, it's entirely up to you as to how you choose to use your M).

I would urge you to practice, practice and keep practicing using the rangefinder. Once you master it, it will change your life (and is infinitely quicker than using Live View).

Ernst

• Like 1

8 hours ago, augustnspring said:

I think i did not express myself clear before, let me rephrase it, it’s not the photo that came out unfocused, its more a problem with, when i hit the shutter and check on the lcd, the view seems a bit off focus at that instant, but when i check again or magnify it, the focus seems to be alright. Im not sure what the issue is but it did not occur before.

This sounds like a latency issue in the loading of your image. Are you using auto review?
When you first take the picture and check it immediately, it may not be displaying at the full resolution. A very short time later the image properly loads.
If I'm understanding you correctly, I don't think this is a focus issue, it sounds like an issue with the camera displaying the full resolution image immediately after it's captured. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevejack said:

This sounds like a latency issue in the loading of your image. Are you using auto review?
When you first take the picture and check it immediately, it may not be displaying at the full resolution. A very short time later the image properly loads.
If I'm understanding you correctly, I don't think this is a focus issue, it sounds like an issue with the camera displaying the full resolution image immediately after it's captured. 

This is my understanding too. It is a display issue rather than a failure to focus the taken photo. Quite possibly a result of image processing being slowed by a memory card filling closer to capacity. 

9 hours ago, Ernstk said:

I'm not being rude but if you don't like using a rangefinder, wouldn't you have been happier with a Leica Q?
One of the great joys of photography is the experience that using a rangefinder can provide. It seems tragic that you're using your Live View instead (however, it's entirely up to you as to how you choose to use your M).

I would urge you to practice, practice and keep practicing using the rangefinder. Once you master it, it will change your life (and is infinitely quicker than using Live View).

Ernst

No offense taken, I will try and hopefully the day of life changing experience comes sooner 😄. Thanks 

2 hours ago, Mute-on said:

This is my understanding too. It is a display issue rather than a failure to focus the taken photo. Quite possibly a result of image processing being slowed by a memory card filling closer to capacity. 

At first i thought its a shutter focus issue when i came here seeking help, but practice later proved what you said seemed to be more accurate of an description. The thing that confounded me was it had not occurred before..

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

One does not focus "through" an LCD since it is the back screen. That is like focusing with an iPhone which has AF and your camera has MF, not AF. 

Thus use the RF first in order to make sure all is OK, then use alternate focusing methods later. If you want to focus without using the RF then I suggest the Viso2 attachment which is very good once you have set the diopter and locked it in place. It even has IBIS for focusing stability built-in, but for focusing only.

Edited by algrove

On 3/21/2024 at 9:44 PM, algrove said:

One does not focus "through" an LCD since it is the back screen. That is like focusing with an iPhone which has AF and your camera has MF, not AF. 

Thus use the RF first in order to make sure all is OK, then use alternate focusing methods later. If you want to focus without using the RF then I suggest the Viso2 attachment which is very good once you have set the diopter and locked it in place. It even has IBIS for focusing stability built-in, but for focusing only.

Thanks I will start practicing to use RF to focus now..

On 3/20/2024 at 4:41 PM, augustnspring said:

[...] it’s not the photo that came out unfocused, its more a problem with, when i hit the shutter and check on the lcd, the view seems a bit off focus at that instant, but when i check again or magnify it, the focus seems to be alright [...]

Simple 😉 If you are in auto exposure or auto iso mode, the camera may choose a faster shutter speed when you half press the shutter button and the image can look darker and more in focus on the LCD then. The opposite can happen when you release the shutter button.

You have had this m11 for over a year and not until today did you start to practice using rangefinder instead of back lcd screen to focus ?

oh man, why did you buy a m camera in the first place? There are tons of good ones out there doing much better work than m cameras with less than half the cost.

• Haha 1