Leica Elmar-M 50/2.8 any problems to watch for?

F456

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have reserved a very nice-looking mint as new-advertised 1995 issue silver chrome Elmar-M 50mm f/2.8, complete with lens caps, dinky chrome 12549 hood and I have a silver filter already to go with it,  and intend to decide yes or no on the purchase in the next 24 hours or sooner, so as not to mess the dealer around (he has provided me with some excellent kit over the last three or four years).

Anything to be aware of? For instance, any history of deterioration of internal coatings, cement etc. Also am I right or not that the lens will keep still when I change the aperture? I did briefly own an early model (pre-M designation) and the lens did not keep still when changing apertue. This hopefully does, as it is the modern -M designation version.

How well does the chrome hold up? I certainly didn't feel too impressed by how easily the chrome on the 21st century MP film bodies shows fingerprints and smudges.

I do like the compact dimensions and advertised optical and cosmetic condition of this example and intend using it for a new direction in my photography - church architecture at a 'calm' distance in rural settings. I am fed up with the exaggeration of wide angle lenses and need a 'more normal diet'. I did this once before and loved the results (but that was with a Summicron). I want something completely pocketable this time, and would use it with my M3 which is off to Cameraworks UK for a full service and recalibration.

Any thoughts of any kind but especially to answer the above questions would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by F456
proorfreading

I have both the old (Elmar 50 2.8) and the new (Elmar-M 50 2.8), and while l like the old-world construction of the older lens, the barrel does rotate while focusing, as you describe.

The Elmar-M is "better" optically - contrast & sharpness - and like modern lenses the barrel does not rotate when focusing, so the aperture index stays put as you want.

My Elmar-M is also chrome, and while I don't see any issues with the chrome, it doesn't seem as solid mechanically as the old design. I've had no problems with mine, but some have reported minor ruggedness issues.

Now I'm more likely to use the Summarit 50 2.5 when I want a compact, high performing 50. (Partly because I use the Summarit 35 2.5 as my most used lens, and the 50 has identical handling and size.

I've spent a month using the original (1960s) Elmar 50 2.8 and enjoying its pleasing images, because that was the first Leica lens I used back in about 1966. Something about your first love... But modern lenses have advantages.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TomB_tx said:

Thank you, TomB-tx: that is useful info to go on. I am just waiting to hear back from the dealer today and will probably go ahead.

7 hours ago, TomB_tx said:

My Elmar-M is also chrome, and while I don't see any issues with the chrome, it doesn't seem as solid mechanically as the old design. I've had no problems with mine, but some have reported minor ruggedness issues.

Mine is a late 6-bit coded version; to keep the focus smooth, every few years, I need to push more grease into the helicoid with a toothpick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I no longer have mine. It was most definitely sharp and contrasty, something I hadn't expected, being used to the 1950s version. My only complaint was that mine kept collapsing without my intervention, which really annoyed me to the point of selling it, although I probably could have shipped it off to DAG to remedy the issue. I am sure you will enjoy using yours, as IMHO it is an exceptionally good lens with a modern rendering.

• Like 2

Interesting, Spydrxx. Good to hear of the high class optical results; if you have a moment are you saying it collapsed  by shifting round first from a locking position?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have placed an order. When it has arrived I'll let you all know how I find it. It will go on to the silver chrome M3 once that is serviced; meanwhile on the good old M4-P with a yellow filter pretty much permanently attached — except for an occasional diversion to a light green or orange. Thanks for the feedback and more is still welcome!

Hi F456 - Not exactly. When I collapsed it and thought it was secure (I mostly used it during hiking) it would flop out of the collapsed position to partially extended. On the flip side, occasionally when extended (and I thought locked in that position) it periodically would unlock and partially collapse. Probably partially a function of banging around my side while  hiking, but it got to be unnerving, Like I said, DAG probably could have fixed it, but I was impatient! I hope you will enjoy yours, as I said earlier, it is a good lens!

5 hours ago, spydrxx said:

Hi F456 - Not exactly. When I collapsed it and thought it was secure (I mostly used it during hiking) it would flop out of the collapsed position to partially extended. On the flip side, occasionally when extended (and I thought locked in that position) it periodically would unlock and partially collapse. Probably partially a function of banging around my side while  hiking, but it got to be unnerving, Like I said, DAG probably could have fixed it, but I was impatient! I hope you will enjoy yours, as I said earlier, it is a good lens!

Thanks for the explanation. Forewarned is forearmed! But I'm still really looking forward to getting the lens. Like others here I have had one before but for some reason I can't remember I let it go for a different lens and now wish I'd kept it. And a bonus is that I still have some chrome filters to go with it even though my other lenses are black.

I have never had any problems with this lens and it is the sharpest small M lens for this price. Impressing for landscape too, ideal for hikes and at 5.6 hardly distinguishable from the APO. It has a great bo-keh too, I sold my 50lux because I found it too heavy. 

• Like 2

you could also take a look at the Voigtländer Heliar classic 50mm f2 which is a rebuild of the old collapsible summicrons and gets you very similar (or slight better) optical quality. It was a limited edition of around 700 or 800 in chrome and 1700 in black, so they are hard to get but you would get for the similar price an f stop more

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Good idea but to keep my outfit from getting too big I restrict myself to just Leitz / Leica though I have been tempted by the Carl Zeiss 25/2.8 & 35/1.4 after seeing K-J Vogelius's Swedish pictures and reading his reviews.

37 minutes ago, Sebastian S said:

you could also take a look at the Voigtländer Heliar classic 50mm f2 ...

Edited by F456

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 3/7/2024 at 6:50 PM, F456 said:

I have placed an order. When it has arrived I'll let you all know how I find it. It will go on to the silver chrome M3 once that is serviced; meanwhile on the good old M4-P with a yellow filter pretty much permanently attached — except for an occasional diversion to a light green or orange. Thanks for the feedback and more is still welcome!

The silver chrome Elmar-M f/2.8 50mm lens has arrived recently and is in superb condition: nothing sloppy in the mechanisms; boxed and in leather pouch together with the 12549 silver chrome screw-in hood and caps. I'd guess quite early production as no coding and s/n 3729--- but that's all fine; just waiting for my silver M3 to come back from full service and then I'll go out and use it with Sekonic light meter and a yellow filter for b&w or maybe some Portra 100 — without that filter! 

I looked back at pictures shot with a previous Elmar that I foolishly sold and see that I used it most for church architecture outside at what I call a 'calm and relaxed' distance — that is to me the special quality of a normal focal length. I'm just as happy with a lateish Summicron for this sort of thing but the collapsible nature of the Elmar really does make it easy to take round when photography isn't necessarily the only or main purpose of the outing.

Thank you for your tips about this lens.

Edited by F456
  • Like 2