looking high and low for Summilux 50/1.4 pre-asph version 3

brickftl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

so far no luck ☹️

There are a couple on eBay. The somewhat moderately priced one says it has a "thin line of mold" and Ye says he can't clean it. The other one is priced ridiculously high.

if anyone comes across one, I'd be grateful if you let me know, thanks!

Edited by brickftl

• brickftl changed the title to looking high and low for Summilux 50/1.4 pre-asph version 3
1 hour ago, costa43 said:

Tim Lei is selling one on Facebook Classifieds. It’s described as near mint for 2680 dollars. He is a trusted seller on there. 

thanks!!! can you send me a link? I'm not on facebook but with a link may be able to see it

1 hour ago, costa43 said:

Tim Lei is selling one on Facebook Classifieds. It’s described as near mint for 2680 dollars. He is a trusted seller on there. 

or can you point me to his user name on the Leica forum, and then I can DM him? Thanks

7 hours ago, brickftl said:

thanks!!! can you send me a link? I'm not on facebook but with a link may be able to see it

Unfortunately it’s a private group page on there as far as I’m aware so you have to join the group to have access to all the listings. It’s moderated and seems to run relatively well. It’s called Leica Classifieds. 

7 hours ago, brickftl said:

or can you point me to his user name on the Leica forum, and then I can DM him? Thanks

I’ve not seen him on the forum. I can reach out to him on your behalf if you like and try and connect you both another way. Drop me a dm if you wish and we can figure it out. 

Just now, brickftl said:

I finally found him and was able to chat with him. I was too late - he had just sold the lens a bit earlier 😪

That's a shame. I'm sure one will turn up soon. If I come across any for sale, I'll drop you a message. 

I’ve wanted to buy the 11868 50mm f1.4 Summilux. I have two versions of the summicron and an older Noctilux. I like the 11868 because it’s the in-between-just-right 50mm speed wise. F1.4. And … and they knocked the minimum focus down to .7m from the 1m minimum on the older 50 Summiluxes. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, thrid said:

My favorite 50...

I need to replace mine. It's suffering from element separation and no one (including Leica) says they can re-cement it.

Mine is exactly the same.  Youxin told me that the E46 Summiluxes are infamous for this.  I've heard (on RFF) that a few people have sent lenses that need re-cementing to Kanto Camera in Japan.  Not cheap, but they've reported very good results.  I haven't (yet) followed up on those reports but plan to sometime soon.  Have you checked with them?

9 hours ago, KevinL said:

Mine is exactly the same.  Youxin told me that the E46 Summiluxes are infamous for this.  I've heard (on RFF) that a few people have sent lenses that need re-cementing to Kanto Camera in Japan.  Not cheap, but they've reported very good results.  I haven't (yet) followed up on those reports but plan to sometime soon.  Have you checked with them?

That's interesting. So, far I had not heard that this was a known issue.

I tried Leica USA and a company in Los Angeles that services very high end cine glass. Both declined to give it a go.

I haven't tried Duclos in Los Angeles, yet. This is another lens shop that sells and services very high end cine glass. 

Thanks for the heads up on Kanto and I will look into that.

On the other hand maybe its just time to retire the old girl and let her get some well deserved rest...

The aperture ring and focusing coil aren't what they used to be after 20 years of use and Leica no longer has spare parts. Leica made a gazillion of these and they are readily available.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thrid said:

That's interesting. So, far I had not heard that this was a known issue.

I tried Leica USA and a company in Los Angeles that services very high end cine glass. Both declined to give it a go.

I haven't tried Duclos in Los Angeles, yet. This is another lens shop that sells and services very high end cine glass. 

Thanks for the heads up on Kanto and I will look into that.

On the other hand maybe its just time to retire the old girl and let her get some well deserved rest...

The aperture ring and focusing coil aren't what they used to be after 20 years of use and Leica no longer has spare parts. Leica made a gazillion of these and they are readily available.

@third, is that the white arc that indicates an element separation?

Thanks.

Such a light and quick focus action on these , I love mine also.    For a lens that was around for 13 years of production they do seem quite hard to find.

This one seems in very nice cosmetic condition and I don't think the price is excessive (same price as Tim Lei's that was discussed) .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skueh said:

@third, is that the white arc that indicates an element separation?

Thanks.

In this case it's just a reflection.

When I took it to the service center in Burbank the technician pointed it out, but I couldn't spot it for the life of me...
The way it manifests is that wide open and up to about f4 it gets really glowy like you're shooting with a low power Promist

• Thanks 1