m6 classic (solms) or m7 with mp VF?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, hansvons said:

There's no difference to me whether you hate losing a shot because you are taking photos for your pleasure or because of other people's expectations. In my experience, the first can be worse.

Sure, I hear you. If my livelihood, however, depended on it, I would not be shooting film, I think. At the same time, as a hobbyist, I strongly feel that having to set shutter speed manually is an unnecessary extra operation having no (usually) creative contribution. Thus, it often puts you in a disadvantage, at least in the style of shooting I do.

As this is a Leica forum, many argue from a collector's and enthusiast's point of view, which is totally OK but can cloud the view on costs vs results

Yeah, absolutely agree with you here. But then again, even for the 80s M6 you have to pay top dollars without getting aperture priority, which does not add up in my view.

CLA costs are often underrated when considering buying a used film camera. I'd only buy freshly CLAed lenses and cameras from a reputed dealer. 

That's what I do too. I guess CLA and repair costs (as well as the goddamn Wetzlar waiting time) is just something that comes with the Leica territory. When I was a student I did not have the money nor the patience and used other stuff. I lost or forgot several cameras in various bars around the world with minor regrets - ah, good times.