Strange experiences with Lightroom Classic (v. 13.0.2)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been using Lightroom Classic for many years now and I have never had similar issues with it like I am experiencing recently (Version 13.0.2, Camera Raw 16.0).

1. I take some photos which are all recorded properly and insert the SD-Card into the Mac and import them directly to LR. After I have done some alterations on the DNG-files (especially straightening, curve adjustments etc.) I put the SD-Card back into the camera. The camera does not show the photos anymore with "Play" but just the file number and an interrogation mark. This is true for the M10 as well as for the M10 Monochrom. The files are not corrupted as I may re-import them with Lightroom or Capture One or Mac Preview.

I know that doing the alterations directly on the SD-Card and reinserting it into the camera is no good practice. Though I never had problems with this neither with M8, M9, M10 or M10 Monochrom - just until recently. When I do the same with Capture One the camera shows the DNG with "Play" without problems.

I have seen this issue already with Lightroom Version 13.0.1 and thought it had gone with 13.0.2 - though I still can reproduce it when I do enough alterations with "transform" and/or curve adjustment. 

2. I took some photos but deleted two of them in the camera. Then I took some more photos.  When I tried to import the DNGs in Lightroom, every file until my deletion was there, the two deleted files were missing of course but the following three files only showed greyed out and I could not import them. The next two files had no such problems and I could import them as normal. The files which were greyed out in Lightroom and could not be imported showed and could be imported without problems in Mac Preview and Capture One.

Anybody with similar experiences?

27 minutes ago, UliWer said:

I know that doing the alterations directly on the SD-Card and reinserting it into the camera is no good practice. Though I never had problems with this neither with M8, M9, M10 or M10 Monochrom - just until recently. When I do the same with Capture One the camera shows the DNG with "Play" without problems.

I have seen this issue already with Lightroom Version 13.0.1 and thought it had gone with 13.0.2 - though I still can reproduce it when I do enough alterations with "transform" and/or curve adjustment. 

Presumably LR is adding something to the metadata that Leicas firmware cannot deal with when it comes to rendering the file. 

I can imagine what the reply from Leica would be ...... this is hardly what they would anticipate users doing. 

vor 17 Minuten schrieb thighslapper:

Presumably LR is adding something to the metadata that Leicas firmware cannot deal with when it comes to rendering the file. 

I think so too - though it looks as if they added something which hasn't been there before, otherwise I should have seen the issue with former LR versions which I didn't. 

Posted (edited)

When you imported the files to your computer, can you see the files in that destination folder? 

In the above action, did you specify COPY  or MOVE?

Edited by wda
  • Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb wda:

When you imported the files to your computer, can you see the files in that destination folder? 

They weren't imported to the Mac but stayed on the SD-Card. I know this is not the proper way to work on DNG-files though as I said I never had the experience I described before.  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is attached to the file and moves with the file. Think of the catalogue as a repository for instructions and keywords associated with each image known to it.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, wda said:

It is attached to the file and moves with the file. Think of the catalogue as a repository for instructions and keywords associated with each image known to it.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/save-metadata-to-dng-file-are-all-settings-of-lr-saved/td-p/12572508

all settings can be saved to the DNg as well.>>

i make a new catalog for each shooting session

after editing a photo i press command-S

once done i render out high res and low res jpegs, sometimes tiffs as well

then backup the folder with the "updated" raw files to disk

then delete the catalog.

The edits are all intact, so if i create a dummy "temp" catalog and import [add to not move] the dngs from e.g 2014, once loaded into LR, ALL the edits are visible.

Edited by frame-it

Posted (edited)
Am 8.3.2024 um 06:16 schrieb elmars:

How do You store Metadata in LR? Only in the catalogue or in the file too? Did You change this setting?

No intended changes of metadata.

I just tried again: After using the "Upright" function in LR the camera can't read the file anymore. After using the similar function in Capture One the camera reads the file without problems. 

Edited by UliWer

• 2 weeks later...