Q116 Images really hold up to cropping - 2 paired examples

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Grand Central Terminal, as I stood off to the side of a fashion shoot

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

Near Oxaca, Mexico

• Like 6

• stuny changed the title to Q116 Images really hold up to cropping - 2 paired examples
On 1/24/2024 at 7:36 PM, stuny said:

Grand Central Terminal, as I stood off to the side of a fashion shoot

Well, not so sure I would agree with you on that...Rather visible this image is cropped and with decreased quality - at least to my eye...

• Like 4

I think that the issue here is not the cropping, but the postprocessing. There seems to be an overly aggressive denoise step resulting in a plastic skin and general digital look in the cropped image. Adding a bit of grain improves the cropped image, reprocessing from the beginning probably would most likely  be enough to make the original point of this thread. 

For strong crops my workflow is:

Run through Topaz Gigapixel to increase resolution and use Topaz Photo AI to clean up the file before cropping. Gives pretty decent results. Something similar can be done using Lightroom Enhance and -again- Topaz Photo AI, but I think the result is a little bit less.

• Thanks 1

At the end of the day, if the user is content with the image quality then its final. I use the crop modes on my Q3 and even at 90mm they look acceptable for sharing online. Unless the photo is mission critical to have printed, I think both photos cropped look great and if the poster didn't mention they were cropped, most observers wouldn't even question the photos. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, jaapv said:

I think that the issue here is not the cropping, but the postprocessing. There seems to be an overly aggressive denoise step resulting in a plastic skin and general digital look in the cropped image. Adding a bit of grain improves the cropped image, reprocessing from the beginning probably would most likely  be enough to make the original point of this thread. 

For strong crops my workflow is:

Run through Topaz Gigapixel to increase resolution and use Topaz Photo AI to clean up the file before cropping. Gives pretty decent results. Something similar can be done using Lightroom Enhance and -again- Topaz Photo AI, but I think the result is a little bit less.

Thank you.  BTW:  I didn't use any noise reduction.  If what you see as plastic skin is on her arms, perhaps that's due to the tortilla flour.

• Like 3

Completely agree with Stuny. With my Leica Q-P I process the framing from the 28mm shot. and I have very worthy impressions. This way I am faster in the shot and I take care of the framing in Lightroom.

My test

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1