Unscrewing Rigid 50 in half

streetpussy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently got a Rigid on eBay (recently CLA'd) and to my surprise I noticed that it unscrews in half. With a racing heart, I immediately screwed it back into place when I accidentally started to unscrew it. Then I read online that it was designed to unscrew in half but I cannot figure out why. Is it in order to clean it? Would it be safe to take it completely apart to blow some dust out or is it a pain to put back together when completely taken apart?

All of the lens elements in the Rigid and DR Summicrons are in a "sealed" unit.  The lens head on lenses from that period were removable so as to be able to be used on bellows and with a Visoflex.  All that separates from the lens elements is the focusing helix and "M" mount.   Pulling the lens head out makes it easier to (VERY carefully) clean the rear element, but doesn't give you access to any of the internal elements.   All of the lenses (IIRC) from that era separated similarly.  The 90mm and 135mm lenses actually had a shorter Visoflex-specific focusing helix that the lens element head could be screwed into for Visoflex use.

• Like 1

Ohh, interesting. Is that so people could use it as an enlarger lens too? I got mine for $650 shipped with the 12585 hood and a Leica UVa filter. It was serviced by YYE and 2022 and everything is smooth. The cosmetics aren't perfect but the lens has no haze, fungus or scratches.. Only downside is some cleaning marks in the coating but my test rolls reveal no problems.

One question though.. I know there is a non-DR version and a DR version, but I didn't realize there's a Type 1 and Type 2 as well. Looks like I got a Type 1 from 1958. Is the only difference between the Type 2 and the Type 1 the barrel design? Also, I've only ever used B+W Clear filters for protection and never a UV filter in my life actually. Stupid question I'm sure but is the UV filter going to alter my pictures or should I pop my B+W filter on?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

vor 8 Stunden schrieb hepcat:

The lens head on lenses from that period were removable so as to be able to be used on bellows and with a Visoflex.

Other than 90 or 135mm lenses the 50mm Summicron is too short, so it doesn't make much sense to unscrew the lens head to use it with Visoflex or bellows. 

Though there was a special device which you could use for getting closer than normal with the unscrewed lens head: the SOOKY-M or SOMKY shown here with the adapter UOORF (16508). Perhaps it wasn't as elegant as the "dual range" Summicron, but it did the same job:

vor 6 Stunden schrieb streetpussy:

is the UV filter going to alter my pictures or should I pop my B+W filter on?

In most cases you won't see any difference. Perhaps for pictures taking on high altitude and/or with snow the UV filter might be helpful.

• Like 1

To my knowledge, the lens head can't be used as an enlarger lens.  At least I've never heard of it being done.

Your lens looks very nice.   Feel free to use the UV filter.  It won't alter your images, it'll just cut through blue haze.  I have used them for fifty years without issue. 

As far as the variations between versions, I'm pretty sure that up until v4, the same optical design was used.  The coatings may have changed, of course, but I believe that the only changes were in the lens barrel cosmetics.  Others with a more extensive background may give you a better answer.

4 minutes ago, UliWer said:

Other than 90 or 135mm lenses the 50mm Summicron is too short, so it doesn't make much sense to unscrew the lens head to use it with Visoflex or bellows. 

Though there was a special device which you could use for getting closer than normal with the unscrewed lens head: the SOOKY-M or SOMKY shown here with the adapter UOORF (16508). Perhaps it wasn't as elegant as the "dual range" Summicron, but it did the same job:

In most cases you won't see any difference. Perhaps for pictures taking on high altitude and/or with snow the UV filter might be helpful.

To be honest, having the removable lens group in the 50mm never made much sense to me either for that reason, but it IS consistent with the 90 and 135 of the day.

THAT is an interesting accessory that, in 50 years of using Leica,  I've never seen before.  Thanks for sharing it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here a very quick example with the SOOKY-M with UOORF and lens head of 50mm Summicron (from Laney p. 411):

There have been many similar devices with "goggles" since the times of screwmount cameras. The SOMKY or SOOKY-M with UOORF for the Summicron lens head was the last incarnation of these devices for 50mm lenses. 

6 hours ago, streetpussy said:

Also, I've only ever used B+W Clear filters for protection and never a UV filter in my life actually. Stupid question I'm sure but is the UV filter going to alter my pictures or should I pop my B+W filter on?

It's fine to use UV filters in general (they shouldn't absorb significantly in the visible range) but a vintage filter will probably be uncoated, so you may see flare in situations that a modern multicoated filter (like a B+W MRC or MRC-Nano) would handle better. Typically this would be when there is a light source in or just outside the frame.

8 hours ago, streetpussy said:

One question though.. I know there is a non-DR version and a DR version, but I didn't realize there's a Type 1 and Type 2 as well. Looks like I got a Type 1 from 1958. Is the only difference between the Type 2 and the Type 1 the barrel design?

Although the WIKI of this forum lists Type 1 as including both the collapsible and rigid, others note several changes in the optics between the collapsible Type 1 and the rigid (non-collapsible) which is commonly termed Type 2, with the rigid version marketed from 1957 to 1968. Lens diagrams look about the same for Type 1 and Type 2, but the rigid mount has revised elements, wider "throat", and wider spacing between the first and second elements. The more major Summicron change came in 1969 with the Type 3 with 6 elements instead of 7 and a more modern anodized aluminum black barrel. It supposedly traded a bit of resolution for increased contrast. I bought mine in 1969, and appreciated that the higher contrast made it appear sharper.

BTW: The optical head of the Type 3 unscrews like the Type 2 and fits the same accessories.

Edited by TomB_tx

That is a super interesting accessory, seems like Leica was super ahead of their time. I'm glad the Rigid I have has the same optics as the Rigid v2. My friend uses a v2 and the negatives/images he was getting blew my mind, it was the look I was after. I was bummed after going on Ken Rockwell because I thought the one I had was just the same as the collapsible but with a different barrel; I just really wanted the same lens my friend was using (save for the DR feature, I'd likely never use it) but it sounds like I'm all good. The fact it was CLA'd by a good Leica tech and the seller was an actual photographer is what made me pull the trigger. I have a v3 as well I got for $700 4 years ago or so. FedEx had lost the package for a month and when I finally gave up and it arrived at my doorstep in a huge box with NO bubble wrap or anything. Just the lens chilling alone in a giant empty box. I was blown away it works properly (but the aperture ring got knocked kinda loose) I really like that lens too.. I don't understand the hate. Used to think the contrast was overkill but it was simply my development process. But yeah, definitely like the Rigid more. Just such a solid beautiful lens with such a sick look using hp5. I DO wish the contrast was a little higher sometimes but that's something I can fix in Lightroom in about 5 seconds.