Leica lens coating

Just now, Herman Zhang said:

How would you compared the coating between Leica, Zeiss(t* coating) and voigtlander? Which coating has better preformace?

That would depend on a number of things. Quality of glass formula, optical design, the engineer’s intention, etc.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

which voigtlander would you recommend? nokton 35mm f1.4? 

I am also looking for a cheap 50mm, because the only gear I have currently is a chinese apo 35mm f2 apsh and Hektor 135mm f4.5.

I have the Leica 35mm Lux FLE, Zeiss 35mm Biogon, Voigt 35mm Color-Skopar... all excellent. I believe the latest Voigt 35mm f/1.4 II is supposed to be excellent. I had the Voigt 35mm f/2.0 also, great lens but I didnt care for its handling. You'll be able to get a good photo with any of them, it largely comes down to what you value in a lens. Like I value the color skopar a lot... when traveling, but I value the FLE more when I am not traveling so lite etc. For me, the Biogon is blisteringly sharp, great for landscapes.

should I get a rigid 50mm summicron?

I am using 1950s Canon LTM lenses on my M10-P.  My favorite 50mm is my 1956 Canon f/1.5 Sonnar LTM.  I just had to take it for an overhaul.  In the interim, I'm using my Summicron 50 v.3 which I like also.   The bottom line is that just about any of the lenses from any of the manufacturers will do the job for you quite nicely.     No one can tell what lens was used to take any given photo, so go out and take photos with whatever you have.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Herman Zhang said:

How would you compared the coating between Leica, Zeiss(t* coating) and voigtlander? Which coating has better preformace?

This is a bit like asking which car manufacturer's paint performs best. They all do what they are intended to do. You can't really seperate out the performance of lens coatings unless they are older lenses, or single-coated (some still offer this) or multi-coated. Leica and Zeiss will both apply high quality multi-coatings to compliment their current lens designs and these will do what they are intended to do - reduce flare. But trying to ascertain which does a better job with differently designed lenses is not something which is not likely to be of any relevance or value.

Edited by pgk
typo
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Herman Zhang said:

13 hours ago, Herman Zhang said:

I am also looking for a cheap 50mm, because the only gear I have currently is a chinese apo 35mm f2 apsh and Hektor 135mm f4.5.

I went through this when looking for a better 50mm for wedding work. Specifically, I wanted a lens that wouldn't create a "Close Encounters Gray Alien" look when a subject is back-lit by a window or open door.

The ZM Planar 50 won the test, it's almost flare-proof. I didn't try any Voigtlander, but there was a contemporary Summicron-M in the running, as well as the usual suspects from Zeiss (ZE), Sigma, and a few older 50s from my stash.

I wouldn't generalize this test for all Leica and Zeiss coatings. The ZM replaced another Planar T*, from the 1990s. My Summicron-S 70 handles flare beautifully, almost as well as the ZM Planar. The slight difference probably has more to do with optical layout than coating.

So the short answer is: the ZM 50 Planar is a "cheap" 50mm with almost no flare.  I think that the Summarit-M 50/2.4 (or 2.5) could also be very good, because it's a newer design than the Summicron-M, but I haven't tested it.

I've tried a different 7Artisan lens, and I wouldn't describe it as having great flare protection.

The Summarit 50 2.5/2.4 can still suffer from the "central veiling flare" common to the 50 Summicron. Overall I think it is more flare resistant, but with a light source close outside the frame can cause this.

My Planar ZM 50 is very flare resistant but the high contrast image isn't for everyone. Overall I prefer the Smmarit/Summicron images.

15 hours ago, Herman Zhang said:

which voigtlander would you recommend? nokton 35mm f1.4? 

There is nothing wrong with TTArtisans or 7 Artisans lenses if what you are seeking is inexpensive. The next price bracket up would be Voigtlander and then Zeiss.