An 80mm lux that won't mount on R9, but will mount on R6?

andrewme

Advertisement (gone after registration)

HI all,

I am pretty new to the R system, so please forgive me I'm making some obvious mistake. I recently bought at auction a very clean copy of the 80mm summilux, which was supposedly serviced by Leica in 2022. While it slips right onto my R6 body without any problem, it doesn't want to go onto my R9. I press it on and it appears to be flush, but it won't turn from there. I am applying a little bit of force, but don't want to apply more and break something. Is there something I'm missing? Has anyone else ever experienced this? Any ideas?

I also have a 50 summicron that slides easily onto both these bodies. So I don't think the R9 is just faulty.   

The R mount could be incompatible with yoour R9. See diagram and R-mounts explained

Of course, any damage to a correct mount could also cause incompatibility..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

thanks for your replies. here's a pic of the mount.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

@andrewme, I’m not sure from your picture, but the bayonet at the top of your picture looks a little deformed?  In any event, according to the wiki the 80 lux was only made in “R Only” mount and “ROM” mount.  Mine is a ROM, but I’ll look at a few older lenses.  I think this is an R Only mount - it has the two levers at the 4 o’clock and 7 o’clock positions.  The round part I believe is to protect the lens back and is not a cam.  If the bayonet is ok, I would agree it should fit.  If it is not turning, it may be the bayonet.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@andrewme if you have a Leica store near enough to visit, I'd take the lens and camera and see what they think.  It doesn't appear (to me at least) to easily determine the issue.  I have about 25 R lenses and haven't seen this problem.... there may be others with a solution ??

Good luck, I love your lens, the 80mm 'lux renders uniquely!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

There is no reason as such that the lens could not be mounted on both bodies. If the lens was ROM-coded and you had an SL/SL2 there would be a problem, but this is not the case here. It appears that your lens is R-only as I can see the R-cam but not the Leicaflex or SL cams. But SL cams should not make a problem even if they were present. You cannot rule out I guess that the problem may be with the R9 body either. I did not know that this lens was offered as R-mount only. Is this engraved on the barrel? I know this was the case for the 2/50 R-only.

Edited by Ivar B

Am 29.12.2023 um 18:12 schrieb andrewme:

thanks for your replies. here's a pic of the mount.

Your lens is the R-only version. It should mount to your R9 without problems. I do not see any deformed portions on your lens flange. The culprit may be a little spring at/within the lens mount of your R9. It may have to be adjusted slightly to allow mounting of your 80mm Summilux lens, but this is an easy fix.

vor 29 Minuten schrieb Ivar B:

I did not know that this lens was offered as R-mount only. Is this engraved on the barrel?

Earlier version were 3-cam, but later versions were R-only (I have one of those, too), and I believe the latest versions had ROM. I have to check whether my copy says "R-only" on the barrel, but I believe it does.