Prices of the Noctilux in the used market over the years?

AnakChan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Today I picked up a used Noctilux-M 50mm F/0.95 and it was in great condition. I had looked at the Noct over the past 15 yrs in the used market in Japan but never picked on up and since then have moved back to Australia where I managed to pick one up today for AUD$9900 (~USD$6765/JPY 965,000) and thought that was a great price (seeing how new now is over 2x that price). 

Doing some digging after picking up my Noct, I'm surprised to see that what I paid was slightly higher than what's found online overseas. I'm fine with that since I'll be using my Noct (in fact I have to consider if I want to sell my 50lux ASPH as I don't see the point of keeping 2x 50mm's), however despite the increasing prices of the new Noct, has the used Noct prices actually dropped in the past 10-15 yrs?

The 50mm f0.95 is probably the most bought and sold lenses for many Leica users. It is the lens most users eventually dream of owning but after playing with it for a while they become bored of the weight and with it shooting it wide open. The f0.95 used prices are on a decline in contrary of the f1 versions which seem to have risen in the last years. 

Owning all Noctilux lenses, I think the f0.95 is probably my least favourite one, it's misses the mojo of the f1 or the f1.2 and if I want a sharper look I go for the 75mm f1.25. 

• Thanks 1

The f1 v1 (58) certainly has exploded in price. All versions are fine lenses. On a rangefinder with the focusing patch in the center if you recompose the subject is now out of focus. I would think with the SL and other mirrorless if you can select a focus point anywhere in the frame the Noctilux would be more useful for general photography thus attracting more demand. I see prices of the F1 have been steady around US$5 to 6k for years except for the E58 v1. 

I have posted the price from 2002 here.

The price is in euros. German FoMag list, used to be a reference. If you take these two Noctiluxes and compare them (don’t really compare the f/1.2 lol) as a reference, you will get a good feeling of how today’s 0.95 is performing.

The latest Noctilux is one of the most “I desperately wanna buy it and try it and then sell it very soon” kind of lenses.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Al Brown

Thank you for your reply folks. And wow, that is interesting to see the prices back 2 decades ago. Makes me want to dig up my M6TTL and Lux/Rit purchases back in 2001. Anyhow, it's good to know that Leica's used market prices for some of them haven't really gone crazy and escalated in tandem to their new prices.