How old is my M-A?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I purchased a used Leica M-A in Black Chrome and am trying to identify its age. Maybe you all can help.

Serial number is: 5622418

I also notice the small 'R' next to the rewind release lever is white paint but this 'R' is black on the current product photo in 2023. Does anyone know the year the 'R' started being painted in black instead of white?

Any insights is appreciated.

Edited by jayantony

30 minutes ago, UliWer said:

According to the Leica Pocket Book 9th ed. it's from 2020.

Don't all the black cameras have a white "R", while it is black on the chrome models?

Thanks for helping UliWer, I appreciate your comment. The press picture of the current Leica M-A in Black Chrome (on Leica website) has a black R.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My understanding is that there is no rhythm nor reason about these things. Leica does what Leica does. We have had numerous discussions about things like this issue brought up, as well as the release button (just plain silver versus a silver button with a screw slot). Don't recall any date method to figure this all out.

These cameras are made for many decades use (if not century 🙃 we will see),

so why bother knowing the date of manufacturing, that is only my opinion .

( side note ...the date of packing is noted in the package of M-A in two or three places).

As different details not important for picture taking process are important only for non-user I think.

Leica M is not perfect ...

Some of us as users replaced many parts (customization) like wind-on lever or add accessories like softies or rewind crank.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...