X2 in 2023...almost 2024?

noogs

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All! 

I am super close to pulling the trigger on an X2 but just wanted to get some feedback on how it performs in 2023? 

I have read through all the posts but just wanted to see those active shooters that are posting in the X2 images thread to see how it is still going and whether you would recommend picking one up if you were in a similar position. 

I am coming from an XPRO1 and a GR2 along with my film cameras, so I am not used to lightning fast AF. I predominantly use the snap focus mode on my GR2 but would like to know how the AF is on the X2? 

Also wondering if anyone had the X2 1.1 firmware file sitting around, in case the camera hasn't been updated. 

I haven't posted on a forum in over a decade and this is such a nice community! 

Thank you all!

The X2 still is a fine camera and the image quality is nothing to be ashamed of   The optional EVF is not up to present day standards but quite usable. AF is slow but reliable. Even high ISO performance is not too bad. I am not convinced that the newer firmware was much of an upgrade. Don’t worry if the battery latch is missing. The camera works fine without it and it may well be that Leica still replaces them. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply jaapv! 

I am thinking about just making a metro case ovf and using the green light to confirm focus etc

The battery latch was something I wasn't sure about - has anyone ever had issues with the actual door busting off? I saw that there is someone in the UK who can replace the internal battery but I figure it's something that is easy to get on with. 

The X2, together with the X1 still occupy a unique position in what Leica has to offer today. The IQ is outstanding, and it is by far the most compact and light camera that achieves this standard. It was my second camera for years.

When I do not want to take the weight and size of my M9, it is one of the few camera's that delivers enough quality to replace it.

I have been looking to find a newer replacement for the X2 without a fixed lens for years now. When I got my TL2, I thought that I finally found one worthy enough. The idea was to put a 18mm or 23mm on and forget the X2. Trouble is that the TL2 (400g body alone) is 1,5x larger and heavier with lens than the X2 (480g with lens and half case + EVF). Maybe the 18mm will do, but I like 40mm eq much better than 28mm eq.

So, I end up keeping the X2 for when I really need small and light gear, or as second camera.

And I keep the TL2 mostly as a replacement for my M9 , for low light, macro and tele shots. With lens the TL2 is as large and heavy as the M9, which is not heavy at all, but on long walks I prefer to take the X2.

I'll say "Amen" to what both Jaap and Dirk wrote.  The X2 is a fun, capable, and I think beautiful little camera.

I use an optical viewfinder and listen for the focus tone most of the time.  I find the rear screen difficult to use in sunny outdoors conditions, although fine for other lighting situations.  I keep a KIWI extension tube with filter and lens hood permanently attached, switching only between Uv and polarizing filters.  So far, it has kept the sensor free of dust and provides a useful sun shade.

I used a T and a TL2 for years, and really enjoyed them both.  The TL2 especially was a very fine instrument, but Leica abandoned it.  So in 2022, as an act of downsizing, I sold off my extensive TL2 kit, my R9/dmr kit, and an M6 body and acquired an M10R and a few extra lenses.  I did not sell the X2.

Brent

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1