SL2-S IBIS question

midnhtsun

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m debating between going with an SL2 or the 2-S, I’m leaning towards the 2-S but I was wondering. If a lens already has image stabilization on it, will the IBIS be redundant or do they work together for better stabilization performance? The first telephoto lens I get will most likely be a third party one with IS, so not sure if that makes the SL2 more attractive. 

Thanks for the input!

zoom/telephoto = less cropping -> SL2S

prime + cropping -> SL2

Just one very simplistic way of thinking about it

The IBIS is the same and is what you should probably use in preference to 3rd party OIS in any case, it only combines if lens/camera are same manufacturer 

I found IBIS good with Panasonic lenses up to 300mm which is my longest lens, I had the SL2 but switched to the S for dynamic range/low light reasons given I don't really crop

We can't know for sure, but the speculation is that SL2 bodies use IBIS and OIS with Leica lenses, but they use one OR the other with other brands (including Canon EOS lenses adapted via Sigma's adapter).

The logic is that IBIS and OIS need to be coordinated. You wouldn't want some vibration frequencies to be double-corrected while others are ignored. It's better for Leica to let a third-party lens do its thing, if it has OIS.

13 hours ago, midnhtsun said:

he first telephoto lens I get will most likely be a third party one with IS, so not sure if that makes the SL2 more attractive.

As a general rule, OIS is better for longer focal lengths, and IBIS is better for normal and wide angles. That's because longer focal lengths magnify the image, and thus image movement, but the sensor is limited in how far it can move in any direction. In other words, IBIS doesn't make the SL2 more attractive for IS telephotos, but it will work with all your other lenses.

• Like 1