Who made this "crown" on the IIIc dial speed?

YVG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Never seen such a thing before but looks factory made.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

A third party flash sync modification? Does this camera have a flash socket anywhere? (though some of these things, like the accessories made by Geiss, had the flash socket on the side of a flash shoe that slid into the accessory shoe, so no internal modification was necessary).

Edited by Anbaric

Have a look here. https://gmpphoto.blogspot.com/2021/08/how-to-use-flash-on-leicas-without.html?m=1
 These were common in the late 1940s and early 1950s. In many cases the speed dial itself was cam shaped, but, in this case, it looks like a device that fits over the speed dial was used. 

William 

If this is meant to be used with an external device, I suppose the main interest would be to someone who has the rest of the gadget but lacks the speed dial collar - as the article William links to points out, these things are sometimes put on the market without this vital component. Collectors generally tend to be interested in Leitz's own devices - if this is a third part collar it may be less collectable, but still useful to someone. The trick would be to identify the specific gadget it belongs with.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, YVG said:

I really appreciate your information guys!
Does such a unit have collectible value, is it worth removing it? Yes, the cam makes it a little easier to grip the dial, but in general it overlaps the shutter speed numbers.

You might be able to simply buy a replacement shutter dial and fit that instead. Then you have the best of both worlds and you might one day perhaps finally find the rest of the device (might take a lot of doing). That said I'd doubt that its worth much.

vor 39 Minuten schrieb pgk:

You might be able to simply buy a replacement shutter dial and fit that instead

not needed, "the crown" is pushed onto speed dial and secured by a screw on the side, you may remove it.
I have it within this kit. I was trying to find some info  about Sims company, no success

• Like 8

I have this one, with a vintage soft release as well.

This one is a genuine Leitz BTLOO the shutter speed dial cap is stored on top of the pillar

• Like 1

On 11/29/2023 at 4:39 AM, jerzy said:

not needed, "the crown" is pushed onto speed dial and secured by a screw on the side, you may remove it.
I have it within this kit. I was trying to find some info  about Sims company, no success

only $26.50 in 1948!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/28/2023 at 7:39 PM, jerzy said:

I suspect this may be the same R. A. Simerl that later made anemometers - the scripted 'Sims' branding is very similar, e.g.:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304765733421

They would be acquired by Maximum Weather Instruments, who continued to offer their products:

https://www.maximum-inc.com/our-full-history/

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, frame-it said:

only $26.50 in 1948!

Thanks. I asked Jim Lager and he said that he had not come across the brand. I will send him this.

William

• Like 1

Here is my Sims  D-2 unit, with 3 instruction sheets. Ring in second photo.  Ed Edzold did a summary in Viewfinder, I think.  The first unit was introduced in 1939, the second model had a pilot light, Model C had minor refinements, where Model D went from the spring to a bronze ball, Modle D-1 was introduced in 1948 and added a safety switch.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another speed dial enhancement I don't recall seeing before. There must have been a lot of third parties with their own ideas on how to sync early flash units. Camera is 1936 IIIa, so fairly early for flash. Of course, could have been added years later.

Edited by alan mcfall
more text
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, alan mcfall said:

Here's another speed dial enhancement I don't recall seeing before. There must have been a lot of third parties with their own ideas on how to sync early flash units. Camera is 1936 IIIa, so fairly early for flash. Of course, could have been added years later.

My camera with that piece.