Help with faded-looking film

edelweiss

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, hansvons said:

Lastly, I use the Ilford washing method. It works for me and saves time and water.

I agree that is my approach, but, I use filtered (Brita) water for the final rinse with the wetting agent. I find it helps with any crud or drying marks and we use it for our drinking water so is readily available for me.

I am aware that this method continues to be controversial but would refer to this paper, probably the clearest of several,  where it is extensively tested and proven>

Microsoft Word - wash101.doc (largeformatphotography.info)

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/unicolor/ilfwash.pdf

Edited by chris_livsey
Added reference link

I used Ilfosol (1st version) once around 1987. It was the hard way for me to learn, that most liquid developers don't keep very well (apart some like Rodinal & HC110). Used it as a one shot. With every  development the films become thiner and thiner. Even the first one was on the thin side and then it becomes worse. IIRC I discarded the rest of the developer before I emptied the bottle, to avoid more unpleasant surprises. This takes place over 3 maybe 5 weeks. So not that the developer was stored for months until used again. After that I went over to use developers that comes as powder. They keep much longer.

Too short time for the given temperature and no reuse of the used developer was already mentioned. Should be used as one shot. If a developer looks brownish it's already gone and should not be used any more (few exceptions to that. E. g. Rodinal).

Edited by fotomas