Film is not dead… but my camera may be…

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/14/2023 at 1:26 PM, TomB_tx said:

sent for repair in 2019 is now finished and being sent to me.

Crikey, with the average age of Leica repairers and, to some extent, owners, it is not inconceivable that one of the parties (repairer or customer) could have died in that timescale.

25 minutes ago, wattsy said:

Crikey, with the average age of Leica repairers and, to some extent, owners, it is not inconceivable that one of the parties (repairer or customer) could have died in that timescale.

In my case, the repairer (a member of this forum) died. He had a Zeiss camera of mine and was waiting to get a piece of material to finish the repair when he passed away. I will contact his wife one of these days to see if I can get the un-repaired camera back.

When I was in Wetzlar a few weeks ago they told me that the backlog of unprepared M6s runs into the thousands. There is also a substantial waiting list for the new M6s. I would mention Camera Rescue from Finland here who may or may not have all the parts necessary to repair an M6. It might be worthwhile getting in touch with them. I have been suggesting for some time that Leica and Camera Rescue should get together as regards repairs, but the folks in Wetzlar don't seem to like outsourcing repair work. In Vienna, Leica Shop /Leitz Auction have some young repairers and have also bought equipment from Ottmar Michaely of Wetzlar who has retired. Ottmar has trained the young people in Vienna. A lot of their work is for the auction, but it might be worthwhile contacting them.

William