Leica Camera Buying-Where NY, Hong Kong, Tokyo?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am presently scuba diving in the Philippines and will not be returning to Alaska until the end of March, 2024.  I figure I will leave the Philippines for a break in January.  It comes to mind I might want to go camera shopping in Tokyo or Hong Kong which is quite a bit closer.  After checking prices in Hong Kong, I am thinking New York City might actually be cheaper.  Any one have any recent experience (and it would be for classic bodies like the M2, M3 or M4, not digital).

Neither is New York City to this country boy.  But I can get Leica's from NYC with a phone call.  Guess I could do that from Hong Kong or Tokyo as well thanks ebay and the internet but that is not as much fun.  I am missing my M4 but it is in Anchorage and I am in the Philippines.  Do not need another film M (or so I keep telling myself).

27 minutes ago, ktmrider2 said:

I am presently scuba diving in the Philippines and will not be returning to Alaska until the end of March, 2024.  I figure I will leave the Philippines for a break in January.  It comes to mind I might want to go camera shopping in Tokyo or Hong Kong which is quite a bit closer.  After checking prices in Hong Kong, I am thinking New York City might actually be cheaper.  Any one have any recent experience (and it would be for classic bodies like the M2, M3 or M4, not digital).

in hk/tokyo digital bodies will be cheaper and film bodies way more expensive than the US or EU

Edited by frame-it

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Kitamura’s newish flagship Tokyo store must be checked out, if not for price, then selection.

Visitors on tourist visa will be eligible for a 10% sales tax discount in Japan (sales tax is included in the advertised price).

When shopping for price across borders, attention to exchange rate fluctuations can can yield significant savings.

Edited by nitroplait
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Warton said:

I got a brand new M-A a couple of months ago from HK for US$4000. You can get less than that from US or EU?

i don't wanna argue LUF style, but there are always exceptions and anyway i was replying to the OP who was talking about "and it would be for classic bodies like the M2, M3 or M4"

I have been buying Leica's in the USA since 1975 and have had great experiences with both Tamarkin and Classic Connection.  I may be vacationing from the Philippines to either Japan or Hong Kong, thus the question.  If I were to buy another film camera, it would either be an M2 or a black paint MP.

I currently use a mint black chrome 50th anniversary M4 so have a real classic.  But that black paint finish is gorgeous.  I don't think I would buy a used black paint camera as I do not see anything too attractive about a finish which has been rubbed off unless I do it myself.  And I prefer the tilted rewind on the M4 but can easily live with the rewind knob as the M2 is my favorite M of all times.

• 4 weeks later...

MA's are quite a bit cheaper in Hong Kong than the USA.  I see prices at Tamarkin for $5595 while chrome MA's in Hong Kong are $4100 and black MA's are $4200.  And since we are talking new bodies, what would be the difference?  And used prices for M3's, M2's, M4's etc seem very comparable to the USA.  Granted, I have a hard time telling the condition of the used bodies but that is true in the US as well.  I will say I have dealt with Classic Connection or Tamarkin so much, that I trust them when they give me a rating over the phone.

MP's are cheaper as well but there is quite a price difference between chrome and black paint MP's whereas in the US, the price is identical.

Edited by ktmrider2

It's kinda weird, MAs aren't readily available in Hong Kong right now. I checked our local version of Craigslist (Carousell) and there's nothing. 

A quick search shows you can get a used black MP for under $3,700 USD from a reputable dealer. 

https://www.mkkcamera.com/leica-mp-0-72-black-paint-film-rangefinder-camera-10302-489/

Rangefinder Camera in Hong Kong shows availability unless their website is out of date, $4200 for black chrome and $4100 for silver chrome.  And M and K camera has a lot of used M's with perhaps M2's being the fewest bodies in stock.

Edited by ktmrider2