Non-Leica 35 mm

Max365

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone.

This is my first post and hope i will not return to a subject that has already been discussed. In case, thenk you for re-addressing me to the topic.

I mean to get a non-Leica 35 mm.

In addition to optical qualities (sharpness, color brilliance, saturation), I'm interested in a lens that doesn't enter in the viewfinder, has a knurled focus ring (I don't like the knob, fortable ind it uncomfortable) and considering the following lenses:

- Voigtlander Ultron 35 mm f/1.7 aspherical VM

- Voigtlander Nokton 35 mm f/1.5 aspherical VM

- Voigtlander Nokton 35 mm f/1.2 aspherical III VM (with doubts about interference with viewfinder)

- Voigtlander Ultron 35 mm f/2 aspherical II VM (with doubts about the focus knob)

- Zeiss Biogon T* 35 mm f/2 ZM.

Do you have any advice or consideration on this?

Pros and cons of the lenses listed? Anyone else?

Thank you all.

5 hours ago, jaeger said:

How about VM35 f/1.4 ii.    

Thank you, Jaeger.

It was a candidate lens. But seems small to me.

Maybe it's a question of habit, but i think that focusing with the knob in really inefficient.

And the focus ring has also two lugs which feel awkward too.

But I can consider it if the optical characteristics compensate the physical ones that I don't like

8 hours ago, Max365 said:

Voigtlander Nokton 35 mm f/1.2 aspherical III VM (with doubts about interference with viewfinder)

i use the CV f1.2 v3 for portraits and it absolutely sings on my 246. i just took a picture of the blockage (it's prob around 10% to 15% bigger in real life). only you can say if thats too much. the lens has a modern rendering

i also have the CV f1.4 II SC (when i want a compact set up). no blockage. nice little lens. vintage rendering

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not sure why you limit this to non Leica lenses. At the same time you have concerns about finder blockage.
Maybe you can squeeze a nice user Summicron 35mm vintage lens in your budget? Zero blockage with all of them and even though the v1 and v4 will probably be out of budget, the v2 and v3 versions are not bad at all and can be had around the top end of the new price for your list of lenses.

I would certainly recommend considering them together with the lenses you mentioned.

13 hours ago, sometimesmaybe said:

i use the CV f1.2 v3 for portraits and it absolutely sings on my 246. i just took a picture of the blockage (it's prob around 10% to 15% bigger in real life). only you can say if thats too much. the lens has a modern rendering

i also have the CV f1.4 II SC (when i want a compact set up). no blockage. nice little lens. vintage rendering

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

13 hours ago, sometimesmaybe said:

thanks! I use now a Elmarit 21/2.8 Asph: the blockage is by far wider ... 

3 hours ago, dpitt said:

Not sure why you limit this to non Leica lenses. At the same time you have concerns about finder blockage.
Maybe you can squeeze a nice user Summicron 35mm vintage lens in your budget? Zero blockage with all of them and even though the v1 and v4 will probably be out of budget, the v2 and v3 versions are not bad at all and can be had around the top end of the new price for your list of lenses.

I would certainly recommend considering them together with the lenses you mentioned.

thank you, dpitt, for the suggestions. i'm going to search the differences among the different versions of 35 cron. I would to take the best out of my M10-R ...

Search this section of the forum for the Voigtlander Nokton 34mm F1,4 V2 SC and your will be amazed.

Its ergonomics and build quality are as good as the best Leica offering in that category. It’s basically a Steel Rim copy, resembling all its quirks but also the great things. 

As usual with M mount 34mm lenses, they work best on M cameras. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Max365 said:

thank you, dpitt, for the suggestions. i'm going to search the differences among the different versions of 35 cron. I would to take the best out of my M10-R ...

Tis could be a good place to start

On 10/29/2023 at 10:04 PM, setuporg said:

The Voigtlander 35mm APO Lanthar gets stellar reviews.  It's knurled.  It might stick out, but not by much.

Yes; that's a great lens (the 50mm is also v. good). And I have them with the M10R. Would like to replace with the M11 on account of the weight saving for the black-top option.

Edited by microview
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, microview said:

Yes; that's a great lens (the 50mm is also v. good). And I have them with the M10R. Would like to replace with the M11 on account of the weight saving for the black-top option.

Got Lanthar a year back or so, sent back as I have a silver M10R and too many 35s, but now expecting a black M11P and seems like a great time to get the APO 35mm again.  And the price difference with the Leica's one is staggering.

19 hours ago, Max365 said:

Thank you all for your contributes.

Have to keep the lenses in hand.

Unfortunately none a word on the Zeiss Biogon T* 35 mm f/2 ZM. 

Yes: I have owned a couple of these, regarded as 'high contrast' .Small/lightweight lens always well reviewed. I'm happy with the VC mentioned above, however!