Doubts about Leica SLR.

Esjua

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good night to everyone,

I am new in this forum but not on Leicas. Since 5 years ago, I own a Leica M3. It is my main camera on film and couldn't be more happy with it. Always I have the chance I take some shots with it.

I use only the 50mm focal length on that camera because imo is the best camera in the world for 50mm. I have agnóstico all the Summicrons (except the v4 tabbed), but basically I use the DR for B&W film and the v5 for color film. Sometimes I am tempted for the 50mm apsh Lux, but at the moment I dont need the extra light stop. The f2 is all what I need atm.

The issue here is that I want to have a complement camera for my M3 to shoot different focal lengths without the rangefinder limitation so I thought the Leicas Slr could be a good option. I want a fully mechanical camera so I am between the Leica SL/SL2 or the R6. But the lens compatibility confuses me a bit (cam 1, 2, 3, R only, etc...). Weight is not an issue at the moment(maybe 20 years later could be) since I lift weekly in the gym.

About focal lengths I decided I want a 35mm and 90mm since I had enough 50mm with my M3. But I have the doubt on both if buy the Elmarit f2.8 or go to the Summicron f2. Usually I shoot at 2.8 to 8 but in winter sometimes force me to shoot wide open due to the low light conditions. Apart the extra light step, is it worth to pay the extra the Summicrons in those focal lengths? I plan to use them in my digital cameras too.

I wish dont make it too long.

Thank you for your time. 

Hi!

If you go with R6 any R mount lenses will attach to that camera.  With 1,2, and 3 cam; the light meter on the R6 will not work with a 1 or 2 cam lens, you would need to attach a meter to the hot shoe or use an external meter.  For the R system, the internal light meters will only be accurate if you have a 3 Cam lens.  I have a 35mm 1 Cam on my R3 and the meter only reads accurately if I attach my 50mm Summicron 3 Cam; however either lens will mount to the camera and capture images.  If you're not relying on the in camera meter, any R mount should work; but if you use the in camera meter you would need a 3 Cam lens.

Hope this helps!  I'm not super familiar with the SL/SL2 system, so I'm sure someone else can answer.

Welcome here, Esjua.

I used to have along the two systems R and M.

Indeed the two systems complement each other very well.

In your place, I'd first choose lenses before the R body.

I use Leicaflex SL with many lenses in R mount.

Same lenses used on R6 for many years.

Summicron-R 2/50 is " Leica R only " so not mountable on Leicaflex SL (a ring in the mount prevents it ).

So if you skip 50mm you have plenty of SL/R compatible lenses, so only 2 or 3 cams.

I use(d) Summicron-R 35/50/90

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

link to Wiki

link to Wiki

Now I appreciate a lot the 1.4/80mm hardly bigger or heavier than 2/90

this link to Wiki

3-cams and R lenses are the most flexible.

I would choose between Leica SL, Leica R6 or Leica R8.

I have all 3. The SL and R8 have the brightest viewfinder. The SL does not accept R and ROM lenses, and lacks lots of modern perks. The R8 will not work with 1 and 2 cam, but these are the oldest lenses anyway. The SL and R6 may be the most robust (fully mechanical) and repairable.

For me the R8 at current prices is an absolute bargain. It is IMO the best SLR Leica ever made. Some are afraid of the electronics in the R8. I just consider it as a throwaway body  and have 2 in working condition. If anything serious fails, it is often not possible to repair it because lack of parts, but buying an other one that works is cheaper than Leica's service prices anyway. Same story and even more so with the Leica SL, it does not even make economical sense for Leica Service to look at it, let alone open it.

The R6 is the best option if you know a good Leica technician that works for reasonable prices, which is getting harder by the day. But even then, chances are that it will be very expensive to repair anything.

Having said that. With a bit of luck you can enoy each of them for a decade without issues.

To add, the R6 is pretty similar to the M6, I believe, so my guess at least is that it might be repairable a bit longer because of that...at least for the shutter etc.

Personally, I think it depends too on what kind of budget you have, and what kind of look you like. I would recommend the R6, if only because I think the R cam lenses are great. I would say that if you want a longer lens, I would strongly consider the 100mm 2.8 APO Macro. It is a stunningly good lens, even today, and it is really useful for portraiture as well as close up work. It has beautiful bokeh as well. It focuses to 1 to 2, and 1 to 1 with an elpro. It is cheaper than some of the most modern lenses like the 90mm APO Summicron (another top class lens). The 100mm focal length is a really nice balance with 50mm, and the lens is still reasonably sized. It is a bit bigger than the 90mm Summicron, but still not much. It only gives up one stop. If not the 100mm, then I would recommend the 90mm APO, but I think that is a lot more expensive these days. The reason I recommend these two is that their APO characteristics will be a lot nicer on digital, since you are more likely to have color fringing and bokeh fringing with the older lenses, and when used on 30-60mp cameras, the 90mm and 100mm APO will still be tack sharp, while some of the other lenses will struggle a bit unless they are stopped down a lot.

The leaf photo is the 100mm taken on the DMR back in 2005 or so. Taken in Sapporo around this time of year.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions.

Initially I was thinking on the Leica R8 because it is not expensive for what you get but I feel it is a bit bulky for what I am looking. For me the lightmeter is not a problem, since I use an external lightmeter.  

Sadly, my technician died last spring and I move to a different country, so I have any reliable technian close to me for now. 

In total (camera plus lenses) I don't want to spend more than 1500€ (better if is less) at the moment. That's why I'm focusing on 35mm and 90mm lengths. Maybe in the future, if I am comfortable with the system I could do bigger investment in more exotic lenses. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The leitz reflexes are big and heavy, but a  more important factor fi you wish to save money on lenses is that the distance between lens mount and film is longer than most competitors,so byuing less exxpensive optics than the R-ones cannot be done.  However, the unloved Minolta zooms made for the R do work while not costing as much as the real thing. The R8 is not as old as the 6 and presumably has more life left in its mechanics.  The electronics have the same potential problems as others of its kind but the viewfinder is bright. And since if it breaks repair is impossible, hence it is inexpensive, possibly also with a lens on it.

p.

On 10/28/2023 at 12:14 PM, Esjua said:

In total (camera plus lenses) I don't want to spend more than 1500€ (better if is less) at the moment. That's why I'm focusing on 35mm and 90mm lengths. Maybe in the future, if I am comfortable with the system I could do bigger investment in more exotic lenses.

Although it's sacrilege to say it in this forum, there are other options if your budget is limited, or if you prefer smaller cameras. Nikon SLRs were often paired with Leica rangefinders at the height of the film era, and complement each other rather well. Olympus designer Yoshihisa Maitani was inspired by Leica rangefinders and set out to make something comparable to them combined with the versatility of an SLR - in some respects cameras like the OM1 are closer in spirit to your M3 than Leica's own bulkier SLRs. Pentax had its own very successful range of small SLRs. Various Minolta models were the basis for more than one of the R series cameras when they worked in partnership with Leica and, as mentioned above, some of their lenses were effectively rebadged and sold by Leica in R mount (Minolta's own mount is incompatible). Today, there is a wider and cheaper range of excellent lenses available secondhand for any of these systems and several others (especially in Japan!) than there is for Leica SLRs, and if you choose carefully you can pick up some superb glass at well under Leica prices; 1500€ would buy you a very useful system.

On 10/26/2023 at 8:21 AM, Esjua said:

Good night to everyone,

I am new in this forum but not on Leicas. Since 5 years ago, I own a Leica M3. It is my main camera on film and couldn't be more happy with it. Always I have the chance I take some shots with it.

I use only the 50mm focal length on that camera because imo is the best camera in the world for 50mm. I have agnóstico all the Summicrons (except the v4 tabbed), but basically I use the DR for B&W film and the v5 for color film. Sometimes I am tempted for the 50mm apsh Lux, but at the moment I dont need the extra light stop. The f2 is all what I need atm.

The issue here is that I want to have a complement camera for my M3 to shoot different focal lengths without the rangefinder limitation so I thought the Leicas Slr could be a good option. I want a fully mechanical camera so I am between the Leica SL/SL2 or the R6. But the lens compatibility confuses me a bit (cam 1, 2, 3, R only, etc...). Weight is not an issue at the moment(maybe 20 years later could be) since I lift weekly in the gym.

About focal lengths I decided I want a 35mm and 90mm since I had enough 50mm with my M3. But I have the doubt on both if buy the Elmarit f2.8 or go to the Summicron f2. Usually I shoot at 2.8 to 8 but in winter sometimes force me to shoot wide open due to the low light conditions. Apart the extra light step, is it worth to pay the extra the Summicrons in those focal lengths? I plan to use them in my digital cameras too.

I wish dont make it too long.

Thank you for your time. 

I have M, Leica R, and Leicaflex bodies and R lenses from 28mm to 135mm.   I would recommend that you buy three-cam lenses as they fit and work on all bodies except the Leicaflex Standard.  Two cam lenses will work on the R series using stop-down metering.   I prefer the Summicron-R lenses, but I have several Elmarit-R lenses as well.   The SL2, R5, R6 and R6.2 bodies are the "best" in my perspective (most features, and best-handling for the price.)   Now the caveat...  this is NOT a good time to try to buy into the R system.  The lens prices in the past two years have skyrocketed as filmmakers and other photographers have discovered them for mirrorless cameras.   I used mine on my Lumix S1 and S5 much more than I use them on my Leicaflex and Leica R bodies.    Occasionally, you can find an estate sale where a couple of bodies and four to six lenses come up for sale as a lot.  That's how I bought my first two Leicaflex bodies and half-dozen lenses; although most were 2 cam.  I had a couple of them converted to three cam, and I've bought a few more three cam lenses since.

Good luck with your plan! 

On edit:  Here is a good summary on the differences in one, two, three cam, 3rd cam-only, and ROM only R lenses:

https://www.apotelyt.com/photo-camera/leica-r-mount

Edited by hepcat

R6.2, R8, & R9 seem to be the most desirable of the R system, however some people don't prefer the looks of the 8 & 9.  I have the R7 & R3; I love both.  You can definitely pick up an R6, R7, or R8 for about $500 USD and a 35mm 3-Cam for another $400/$500.

6.2 or R9 you looking at about $1000 - $1200 for a body.