Film M camera ... here I am again

cesc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I love the way my 35 FLE renders on film. I almost like it more than on digital.

There’s no right answer, obviously. But of the film Ms I’ve owned—M2, M4-P, M6, and MP (in chrome)—my favorite by far has been the MP, mainly because of the viewfinder, which is identical to the ones in my M10 and M10M. Other finders have felt like a downgrade. I also mainly do family photography and want to shoot at 35 or 28 much of the time when I’m indoors. That was why I sold my M2—I wanted 28mm framelines. The MP also worked for me because it combined two features I like: quick loading and the old fashioned rewind knob.

I sold my MP to try out an M10M. Still not sure how I feel about that switch. I’ve been satisfied with my current M6, but am 90% sure that I’m going to sell it and buy another chrome MP sometime in the future, when funds allow.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 11:37 AM, cesc said:

And also.... should I keep the M9 Monochrom or sell it and invest in lenses instead....

I have sold two Leica bodies (M6TTL and a silver MP with the .085 finder) and one lens (50 'cron). I am not selling any more Leica M stuff. You always wish you had it again and the price will, by the time you realize this, have tripled. Keep your M9M and save a little longer to buy new toys.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2023 at 2:17 PM, cesc said:

I began my Leica journey with film cameras, owning the M6, M3, M2, and MP. However, I eventually made the switch to digital, selling all my film cameras to acquire an M10. As time passed, I found myself missing the analog experience, and I couldn't help but feel a bit 'homesick.' This nostalgia led me to purchase an M9 Monochrom, thinking I could enjoy the best of both worlds. However, this decision made me realize how much I truly enjoy shooting with film. So, I find myself returning to the Leica Users Forum (LUF) film threads.

Now, I'm in search of a film M camera body once again. I've come across comments suggesting that the new film M cameras might not provide the same experience as the classics. Given my background of transitioning from digital, I'm a bit apprehensive about choosing a new M film body. I know this question has been asked many times before, but I'm curious, after returning from the digital realm, which film M camera body would you recommend?

Thanks for your comments!

A M3 with a CLA.

My film camera is a Nikon F2 which I love as much as my Leica M-D 262 digital…!