Rubber/Silicone protection for the (top of the) Q

eswa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am new on this forum since I just bought myself a black Leica Q. It looks and feels amazing and therefore I would like to keep it like it is now, knowing that the Q is a camera that you can always take with you. I've looked around for some protective cases and such, but only find these leather holsters. Looks classy, but it doesn't protect all corners of the camera (the top is still exposed). Does anyone know how one could protect the Q a bit more, maybe using a rubber or silicone case, or are there bits to protect the top rounded edges more?

2 hours ago, eswa said:

Does anyone know how one could protect the Q a bit more, maybe using a rubber or silicone case, or are there bits to protect the top rounded edges more?

I think those full silicone rubber skins tend to look pretty bad, and if grit gets trapped between the case and what it is protecting (I had this happen with an iPod) you can get scratches anyway. Leica did make an ever ready case for the Q, the 19502:

https://leica-store.ph/products/leica-q-leather-ever-ready-case-black

I believe this case does not accommodate the lens hood, though, and a B&H reviewer implies that the top is not detachable, which means it will dangle below the camera when in use. Perhaps there's a third party full case that converts to a half case? (Edit: looks like there's a version of the Luigi case linked above that does just this). There are certainly third party half cases sold without tops. You could buy one of these, plus a small generic bag/case to protect the whole thing when the camera is not in use.

Edited by Anbaric

I applied simple, black fabric tape to the sides, edges of the camera body as well as the bottom of the lens tube of my Q2 and use it with the OEM’s half case. I don’t use a camera bag but just a messenger bag or backpack, there it goes wrapped into a thin microfibre pouch. It stays clean, mostly dust free and won’t scratch. 

Edited by Phil75

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wow…I remember the days in the 70’s where we would take some emery cloth to a black paint body and sand down to the brass at the points where the strap wear would be to make it look like we actually used our cameras…wear on the body was a badge of honour 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, bobtodrick said:

Wow…I remember the days in the 70’s where we would take some emery cloth to a black paint body and sand down to the brass at the points where the strap wear would be to make it look like we actually used our cameras…wear on the body was a badge of honour 😂

Yes Bob, but I think we're of the same generation. I remember in the 70's that people would buy a nice new three piece suite but keep the clear plastic delivery wrappers on to so that it didn't get dirty when people sat on it! Each to his/her own :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Corius
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

10 minutes ago, Corius said:

Yes Bob, but I think we're of the same generation. I remember in the 70's that people would buy a nice new three piece suite but keep the clear plastic delivery wrappers on to so that it didn't get dirty when people sat on it! Each to his/her own :)

OMG…I think my parents had that couch…covered in plastic 😂

I remember they had ‘fancy’ ornamental ashtrays that were not used…there were cheap ones that were actually used 😂

Haha, thanks for the input guys! A wrap/skin is maybe quite a good idea, also since I was actually digging the silver/titanium Q more than the black one, but those added a few hundred euros to the price which wasn't worth it to me. So maybe this way I could get a poor man's silver Q after all. Anybody got any experience with these wraps?

Don't hide the beauty of your camera, just take care of it!. Half a cover and some caution!

• Like 1

Actually, you should be really careful with your Leica in gent's toilets!........

No, not that!!!

I was wearing my Q2 cross-body and had slipped it around to my back when washing my hands. The camera came swinging around and clattered into the porcelain sink. Luckily I had the Leica half-case on and although the leather was dented the Q2 itself wasn't marked. I don't think a film protector would have saved it.

• 5 months later...