Top three things that make the Q3 special?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is so tempting to get into the tiny quibbles about any camera: focusing on the irritants, not the highs that make a camera fun. I’m considering the Q3, but I want to know what everyday artists/photographers see as their biggest delights with this model. Please share the top three things you love about the Q3. Thank you.

Posted (edited)

This is what I see as special.....very hard to only give 3 things as there are many.

1. Lens performance is superb
  2. The physical build of the camera is solid
  3. The Fotos App is flawless for me. I dont use it much but when I engage it, it just works every time.

Having a Q3 as my first introduction to Leica, I would confidently sell all my Sony and Canon gear and migrate fully across for work. The Q3 just works, I don't second guess it. I turn it on, compose and take the shot and the result is always beautiful. I have never encountered this level of simplicity married with robustness and reliability in any other camera. If I had to shutdown my work and sell all my camera gear and keep just one.......the Q3 will be the one.

The Q3 is my personal use camera.

Edited by AussieQ
  • Like 3

After enjoying my Q3 for about 6 Weeks:

1.       The very good lens quality

2.       The haptics of this camera, everything is in the right place for me, the size fits for my hands

3.       Built quality like a rock

Nearly 2000 pictures taken in this short time and taking it along just every day, making it the perfect photographing tool for me.   

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

4. I dont have to carry addtional lenses with me: it does everything except telephoto.

5. The position of the EVF is better than on cameras where it is central.

David

Edited by David Wien
  • Like 1

After many years of adding cameras and accessories to my varied systems, having to decide which body and lenses combination to carry  on a particular day, made the decision to simplify my photography with the purchase of the Q2.  Unfortunately, a Q3 was announced offering a, couple of features that can't be up-dated thru Firmware.

1/  Flip Screen

2/ 60MP Sensor

3/ Build Quality- applies to any Q

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

For me in comparison with other cameras:
1) leaf shutter (Great at weddings or quiet venues where you may be shy to take photos had you used a camera with a mechanical shutter sound. Silent shutter features on those cameras can result in light banding)

2) compact rangerfinder size which makes it easier to carry in certain bags. There are other similar cameras, but I'm glad the Q3 is compact with FF sensor and good lens.

3) 4k60p / 8k30p. Not important for many, but this was the reason why I didn't go for the Q2. I like 4k 60p (even though the quality can be horrible with artifacting/moire), but having that gives me a reason to carry this camera with me as I take many random family vids. Hoping for firmware update on the 4k60p image quality (change pixel binning algorithm or whatever is causing those moire lines/edges). Had I wanted to carry a camera without video, I'd def just use a sony rx1r2 as that has my favorite IQ rendering.

Edited by nariza7
word choice
  • Like 1

#1 is overall image quality. The combination of the lens and its matched sensor is hard to beat, even with larger, heavier systems. The very high image resolution of both the lens and sensor allow it a ton of flexibility for cropping, which essentially helps it match or exceed the image quality of smaller format mirrorless cameras while also having class leading quality against full frame cameras.

#2 is build quality. IP52 rated sealing is rare outside Leica and Olympus/OM systems. 

#3 is design/shooting experience. Leica has designed it with the minimal amount of buttons, but with lots of control/customization to use the camera precisely as you need it. Also part of the design is the relatively small, lightweight overall package, meaning it is a constant companion. The decision to include a quiet leaf shutter, tilt screen, outstanding evf, and direct controls for Macro, shows the attention to detail and consideration for including every necessary feature, without making the camera overly complicated or difficult to use.

• Like 1

I upgraded from the Q2, so I’ve already been spoiled by the lens and the build quality.

I wasn’t sure how significant the extra pixel depth would be, but after shooting around Florence and Tuscany for a week and coming home, the ability to crop into shots and not lose any sharpness is incredible.

On top of that the flip screen enabled me to get shots holding the camera up above crowds that I would have missed with my Q2.

• Like 2

Unfortunately questions like these never really help because everyone has a different perception of what a “delight” is. 
my standards surely are different than yours. But I will play along for fun. 

positive 

1. size and weight 

2. Camera Feel / Build  

3. sensor quality 

negative 

1. lens distortion 

2. lens focus design when shooting flat plane results in field curvature with focus 

3. IOS is extremely poor allowing 100% hit rate at 1/50 when corner sharpness is needed. 

The funny thing is 90% of the people who say positive things about the Q3 it’s the lens they love, and I think it’s the weakest part of the camera. That being said it’s incredibly small lens for is characteristics so it’s a compromise I’m okay with, but it’s definitely not a strong point. My Nikon 35mm 1.8s destroys it, but it’s about 2.5 times larger, so it’s a moot point. But that lens is only $896. Autofocus on the Q3 is quite good and I have no complaints as the camera can focus in the dark. See, not everyone has issues with autofocus. :)

• Like 2