Plastic ring around viewfinder fell off

hirohhhh

5 minutes ago, Adam Bonn said:

Yeah happened to me on my m10. 

its easy to re-fit, loads of advice online about whether to glue it back on or not, and if yes then which glue or clear nail varnish 

I glued this on my camera viewfinder... Better that than to wait to fall off and get lost somewhere.
I put just few small points of Patex glue on 4-5 places in the ring and put it back on the camera. 
You need very very little of this glue. It only need to hold this plastic ring to not to fall off.
Also it is possible to get it off later if you need... But do that on your own responsibility. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LEGEND said:

I glued this on my camera viewfinder... Better that than to wait to fall off and get lost somewhere.
I put just few small points of Patex glue on 4-5 places in the ring and put it back on the camera. 
You need very very little of this glue. It only need to hold this plastic ring to not to fall off.
Also it is possible to get it off later if you need... But do that on your own responsibility. 

yeah I glued mine too, there's a small locating post on the ring and a corresponding hole on the camera body, I used a pin to put a tiny drop of glue on the post so that it bonds the post inside of the hole

• Like 1

There is another “hack“...  :D   
Y
ou can put an diopter on the viewfinder and that will than hold camera one plastic ring
But then you must glue the plastic ring from the diopter so that he don't fall off. Also the diopter can unscrew and get lost.
I fix that with a little bit of teflon tape. The teflon tape is thread sealant for plumbing... 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LEGEND said:

Y
ou can put an diopter on the viewfinder and that will than hold camera one plastic ring
But then you must glue the plastic ring from the diopter so that he don't fall off. Also the diopter can unscrew and get lost.
I fix that with a little bit of teflon tape. The teflon tape is thread sealant for plumbing... 

i always put either my contrast lens or magnifiers to my OVF 😀

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Adam Bonn said:

You must have cut a very, very thin strip of PTFE to mange that. Impressive

It was actually easy procedure... I cut this tape in 3-4mm wide strips and slowly put this on the screw of diopter....
I put enough that had covered every part of this screw and then pressed everything with my fingers by turning the diopter in the process. 
That way I get very tight fit... The part that is not on the screw I cut with a scalpel. If something of this tape stand out I try to rip it off.
The small parts of this that hang out I wind back on the screw with my fingers.
Don't put too much of the tape on the diopter because you need to put it on the camera.
I managed to finish it on the first try... Perhaps I was just lucky...
Sometime when I have nothing to do I take apart old lenses, clean and lubricate them again. I like to do this stuff because it calm my mind... ;)
I know, I am strange... :D 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LEGEND said:

Sometime when I have nothing to do I take apart old lenses, clean and lubricate them again. I like to do this stuff because it calm my mind... ;)

I totally relate to that, I've been taking things apart since I was 5, first toys then eventually cars, motorbikes, watches, lenses.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Adam Bonn said:

I totally relate to that, I've been taking things apart since I was 5, first toys then eventually cars, motorbikes, watches, lenses.

Hehe, it is easy to take things apart is one thing but to put them back again without leftover extra parts is another... :D 
Some people say I am crazy to do that but what are they know... To me the photography is a part of my life that bring me joy and 
relaxation like fishing or yoga to other... I like to do almost everything manually when I make a photo. Exposure metering,
focusing, editing... I was never a fan of AF and zoom lenses because I feel that make me to lazy. I like to be a part of process when 
I make a photo as much as I can. That is the reason I love Leica M rangefinder cameras. They are simple tools for making photos, 
they don't stand in a way, I am the one who decide what and how is done and not the camera. Uf course this is possible with every 
camera set on manual but still the Leica M rangefinder gives me inspiration to go out and make some photographs. Even if they don't 
turn to be good I had enjoyed making them and that is to me most important part of my photography. The other people who say that I am
to much retro, that I live in the past and should embrace new technologies don't know me enough, what I want and value...
Everybody have they own life, mind and world view and I respect that... I say, enjoy your life, do not harm and everything will be all right... :) 

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2022 at 4:00 PM, LEGEND said:

Y

I’ve lost too many diopters to count. Wish M had a built-in, adjustable diopter.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2022 at 12:06 PM, Adam Bonn said:

Me too!  When I read here about sending things out to be worked on, CLA for example, I just think it sounds like a chance to get some cool tools and go for it!

• Like 2

• 2 years later...