BlackMagic Cinema Camera in L Mount

frame-it

On 9/17/2023 at 9:42 PM, BernardC said:

I wonder if Leica, Panasonic, and Sigma will offer BRAW as a recording option.

Panasonic already does with some of their S line cameras when attached to a Blackmagic Video Assist recorder. It remains to be seen if Leica and Sigma think it's worthwhile to include that feature, too.

6 hours ago, Archiver said:

Panasonic already does with some of their S line cameras when attached to a Blackmagic Video Assist recorder. It remains to be seen if Leica and Sigma think it's worthwhile to include that feature, too.

Sigma can also record BRAW via a BM device, but it would be better if they could do it onboard. I think it would benefit the whole L-Mount ecosystem if we could produce video files that work natively in Resolve (and can be used in the other top NLEs).

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 9/19/2023 at 9:51 PM, BernardC said:

Sigma can also record BRAW via a BM device, but it would be better if they could do it onboard. I think it would benefit the whole L-Mount ecosystem if we could produce video files that work natively in Resolve (and can be used in the other top NLEs).

There are likely licensing fees a la Prores for internal braw recording. But yes, it would help them all a lot if they could record internal braw, even if it was just one or two models per manufacturer. I'm considering moving to the S5 II X and getting a BM recorder for just this purpose, as the files have a lot of latitude for grading. The S5 internal codecs are decent, but I feel that more could be unlocked with braw.

Missed this announcement: this looks interesting.

At $3000 it looks very interesting (when you're looking at Leica prices). I have often considered BM cameras but been put off by having to buy new lenses - I went the Sigma fp route instead. Eventually I sold the fp because it couldn't keep up with the SL2-S in low light, but this eliminates that hurdle.

A dramatic announcement for Leica and the L-mount: increased licence fees, but will they potentially lose SL-series sales for video?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, frame-it said:

with these same slow processors?

BRAW is supposed to be optimized for in-camera processing, it's probably no more processor-intensive than Prores (which the S5iix does).

4 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

A dramatic announcement for Leica and the L-mount: increased licence fees, but will they potentially lose SL-series sales for video?

It could have the opposite effect, now that the L-Mount provides access to a world-class video ecosystem. The current L-Mount bodies are OK for small productions, but a larger show wouldn't choose them because of the lack of dedicated cinema cameras. Hopefully Panasonic will use this opportunity to upgrade their (EOS mount) EVA1 and VariCam to L-Mount.

• Like 6

Placed a preliminary order (no deposit, no commitment), with Wex (where I have been an occasional customer for some years, and which recently opened a local branch).

Since selling the fp I have been tossing up options for shooting video and stills at the same event - perhaps the S5iix, a second, used, SL2-S or just waiting for the SL3. The BM could be the main video camera, keeping the SL2-S for stills and occasionally a second video. It makes it less likely I would get a SL3.

Why this BM and not a second SL2-S? At first sight, better connectivity (record direct to SSD), much larger LCD, and (perhaps) easier native editing in Resolve.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BernardC said:

It could have the opposite effect, now that the L-Mount provides access to a world-class video ecosystem. The current L-Mount bodies are OK for small productions, but a larger show wouldn't choose them because of the lack of dedicated cinema cameras. Hopefully Panasonic will use this opportunity to upgrade their (EOS mount) EVA1 and VariCam to L-Mount.

Yes, I agree. It may be a threat to current SL-series bodies (less likely to be bought for video), but opening up a big market for lenses. 

Sheer speculation alert: Leica would have known this was coming (L-mount etc). Is this why the SL3 is not going to arrive till next year? It gives them a chance to reduce the focus on video? Or at least position it more exactly in a marketplace of multiplying L-mount bodies.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

Excited to see there is another L mount camera. I would guess that this is not that big of a threat to Leica. Not because it is not good, but simply that I think they serve quite different markets. I think the kind of photographer who is interested in Leica is probably still going to be going to Leica, as the company overall is much more focused on stills and high end lenses/ergonomics for handheld stills work. I think it absolutely makes sense for them to offer great video specs for those of us who want to do some hybrid work, but I think most that are truly video focused have more obvious choices that are better set up for dedicated video work. In L mount the most obvious would be the S1H.

• Like 4