BlackMagic Cinema Camera in L Mount

frame-it

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have compared the still images from the BMCC6K with my SL2-S. It is of no practical value, as gaining access to the BM stills is a tortuous process.
Both images shot with the Apo-Summicron-SL 35, at f/2, 1/1000s, ISO 100, both set to AWB, but reset in post, taking a grey point from the stack of insulation material centre frame.
The SL2-S DNG was imported to Lightroom with all adjustments zeroed out. Adobe Standard profile.
The BMCC6K still image (captured with a dedicated still button on the body) is recorded as a BRAW file, which Lightroom does not recognise. It is also recorded as log format. I imported it to Resolve and applied the native colour space and log conversion, 'captured' it as a still, exported that still as a tiff, and imported the tiff to Lightroom.

First the BMCC6K image then the SL2-S. The BMCC6K is flatter (given that it is graded log footage, I would have been surprised if they matched), but otherwise the colours are acceptably similar.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by LocalHero1953

Applying Auto Exposure setting and a medium tone curve to both in Lightroom makes them very similar in look. BMCC6K first then SL2-S

Finally 1:1 crops. No sharpening.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

interesting Mod for film makers

https://kolarivision.com/product/pod-mod-kit-installation-service-for-blackmagic-pocket-cinema-camera-4k-6k/

Note that this is NOT for the L-mount Blackmagic Cinema Camera 6K, but for the Pocket Cinema Camera 4K/6K, which have MFT or Canon EF mounts. BM is confusing with its body naming.

I don't know those cameras well enough to see what benefit this mod brings: additional battery capacity? Perhaps the top mounted EVF is handy, though I believe both cameras already have tilt screens. In my limited use I have only used the monitor pointing downwards from a high tripod, rather than upwards.

The L-mount with the battery grip gives me well over 2 hrs running time, at the expense of quite a bit of weight. You can hot swap the grip batteries as long as there is charge in the body battery (but only both at a time, and the body battery is inaccessible with the grip attached), and the top of the camera has one cold shoe mount (where I place the SSD). BM seems to have designed the L-mount version to minimise the need for additional cage/monitor/rig.