For all of those wanting to know how much it costs to repair a scratched Leica lens...

egrossman

I always use UV filters too. But I've noticed shooting at night with things like streetlights/ cityscapes in the frame, I'll have ghost lights floating around. 

Even when using Leica UV filters, that have been tested to have excellent light transmission, ghosting will appear under the right conditions. Small gripe but something that I've noticed.

The cost of that repair isn't bad at all.  As for filters, I've changed to using B+W XS-PRO MRC Nano 007 Clear filters.  I don't think that the coatings on modern lenses need UV filters like they used to.  There is a lot of dust here in the desert and the clear filters keep that off the lens without affecting IQ, and they're perfectly fine to use in low light.  

I do a lot of car shows where there are a lot of people (and dogs) and it gives me some peace of mind to have that little bit of extra protection.  

• 4 weeks later...

I leave a clear filter on my lenses as default.  The filter stays on if I'm just walking around doing something else (like being a tourist) and happen to have my camera along.  

But if I'm actively taking pictures - putting all my attention on getting a shot - I take it off.  Also if the camera is on a tripod, the filter comes off.  Basically, if my attention is primarily on using my camera, I'm not worried about busting the lens (except for extreme cases like weather, the beach, and children lol).  

As for my film camera, there's nearly always a filter on mine anyway (B&W film).  At a minimum, a yellow filter.  Most often, if I'm outdoors, an orange, and occasionally a red.  Really occasionally, a green or blue.  The only time I don't use a filter with B&W film is indoors and no people (with people, yellow).

When I'm walking around with the M4, I use a lens cap - filter or not - because of the cloth shutter.  

At night outdoors, no filter and a lens cap regardless of film or digital.  

Sure, it could be a bit of a pain to attach and remove the clear filter, but if it's a pain, just leave it on!  I just take it off when I'm concentrating.  'Cuz it's better.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/23/2022 at 2:26 AM, cboy said:

I remember Peter Karbe saying in a youtube lecture of his about lenses is that a filter is another lens element which ultimately affects IQ, but to what degree he didnt elaborate. Take it as you will...

I prefer to take precaution for minor scuffs at the expense in loss of IQ.

Mind you having a filter wont protect you from 3 foot drops as i have found out with my other non leica lenses. Actually id say the lens filter did more harm since it shattered inside and the shards damaged the front element like meteor strike lol.

Tbh i believe the most likely damage is when taking lenses in and out of bags and unknowingly graze the front element to sharp corners/ends in the bag, hence the practical use of filters

Last summer, I dropped my Nikon F3 with 50mm f/2 (UV filter and lens cap in place) from about 3.5 feet onto the concrete parking lot. As Murphy's law would have it, it landed right on the front edge of the lens/filter/lens cap.  Jammed the lens cap onto the filter, bent and destroyed the filter but once the filter was removed (pliers were necessary), the lens was fine. Just lucky, I guess.

• 6 months later...

The presence of sand and fine abrasive dust where I live simply forces me to shoot every lens filtered. It's not a lot, but when it comes down to cleaning I'm always grateful that its a filter I need to clean and not my lens.

For my older lenses, like my Summicron M 5cm Collapsible, I use the old Leica 39mm filter ring, but have swapped out the old glass for a B+W or Chiaro pro filter glass. They are held in by a simple retaining ring, easily unscrewed by a rubber lens cone tool. 

The Chiaro filters are so cheap, with fantastic glass but less amazing filter rings. I essentially use them as glass donors for my existing B+W filters when they get scratched.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
On 15. 2. 2022 at 8:56, Kl@usW. said:

Měl jsem podobnou zkušenost před několika lety, tehdy se Solmsem. Měl jsem Summicron R 35mm s poškrábaným zadním článkem. Škrabánek se projevil jen při malých clonách, ale jelikož jsem chtěl objektiv prodat, nechal jsem si jej opravit. Bylo to asi 300 €; většinu celkové práce. Součástí bylo CLA.... 

Hello,

may I ask you where did you send your Summicron for repair?? It was in Europe?

Thank you

Jaromir

On 2/14/2022 at 10:47 PM, egrossman said:

I sent my scratched (front element) 50mm APO Summicron-M to Leica NJ for repair on February 8th (2-day delivery). They received it on the 10th and today (the 14th) I received an estimate for the cost of repair:

Labor $316.25

Shipping $35

Lens 1, finished $113

Total $429.25

I had nightmare scenarios going through my head of a repair bill of around $2,000 (my guesstimate) so clearly this was much better than expected. I was also impressed at the turn around for the estimate. The repair would normally take 4-5 weeks I was told but since a replacement part (I presume the lens element) is out of stock, it will add 1-2 weeks to the repair process.

The good news is that my camera insurance will pay for it.

Moral of the story... use UV filters on lenses! At least the repair was not insanely expensive (relative to the cost of the lens).

I'm sure the repair bill would have been substantially higher if the scratch were on the rear element.

Erik

For me is a low every time I purchase a lens to purchase also a UV filter and it should be 100% leica.Buying Leica lens and put in in front of it other glass is like buying Ferrari and put engine from Fiat.

2 minutes ago, George Stoichev said:

For me is a low every time I purchase a lens to purchase also a UV filter and it should be 100% leica.Buying Leica lens and put in in front of it other glass is like buying Ferrari and put engine from Fiat.

I'm sorry but this is a rather ridiculous statement. Leica doesn't actually make their own filters; they outsource the production to a third party. There are a number of great filter makers such as Breakthrough and B+W. Of course there are good and bad filter makers, but to suggest that ONLY Leica filters will do makes no sense to me.

Erik

Just now, egrossman said:

I'm sorry but this is a rather ridiculous statement. Leica doesn't actually make their own filters; they outsource the production to a third party. There are a number of great filter makers such as Breakthrough and B+W. Of course there are good and bad filter makers, but to suggest that ONLY Leica filters will do makes no sense to me.

Erik

This is your choice of course.At least they should be classy filter… I wouldn’t put other than Leica or Zeiss glass, but everyone can decide and make whatever he/she wants.

Just now, George Stoichev said:

This is your choice of course.At least they should be classy filter… I wouldn’t put other than Leica or Zeiss glass, but everyone can decide and make whatever he/she wants.

I used to use B+W filters but at the recommendation of Leica Store Miami, I have switched to Breakthrough (https://breakthrough.photography) and haven't looked back.

Erik

• Like 1

Filter/no filter arguments will continue to consume broadband forever. I use filters; always have; for b&w film or digital monochrome the use of some colour filter – yellow, green, red, etc. is normal. For copying work and for some landscape, a polarizing filter is all but essential. Landscape photographers use a variety of graduated filters, ND filter, etc. All of those filters are used to make for a better photograph. So, if it is normal to use filters to achieve better results, why avoid using them?