Any film shooters getting the itch to shoot digital?

Huss

3 hours ago, Huss said:

I think of it as instant de-gratification when you shoot film.  The delight of the delay. The wonder of the wait...

Especially when you have to wait 5-7 days for your favorite fiberbased paper to be delivered, as is the case with Rollei 111 from Maco. Gives you enough time and thought to prepare your darkroom for the printing sessions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, logan2z said:

I'm currently 100% film, but the little GR III has piqued my interest.  Seems like a fun little camera to carry around.  But I might rather put that $1000 towards an interchangeable-lens camera like the Fuji X--T5.  Or maybe something full frame in order to provide the basis for a better film scanning platform.  But what generally happens is, I do a bunch of research and ultimately conclude that I'm better off sticking with film, my cheap Epson flatbed for scanning, and wet printing in the darkroom.  No doubt I'll end up there again.

The GRII is really nice and I bet the III is even better.  I struggle with composing with the rear lcd, especially as I am far sighted.  I have toyed with giving it a go with a 28mm optical viewfinder that I have knocking around.  Perhaps that would scratch my Q2 itch?   I am doubtful.... GAS is taking a hold......

help!

On 9/25/2023 at 4:56 PM, logan2z said:

You need to abandon the notion of instant gratification when you're shooting film :)  There have been times when it was months between the time I shot a roll and the time I developed it/saw the images  That does have a benefit - you can be more objective when determining if the photo is a good one since your opinion isn't influenced by the pleasurable memory of the shooting experience (assuming it was pleasurable ;) )  Henry Wessel discusses this in the video below:

It's worth noting that a 1/1000s shutter speed isn't a limitation imposed by film, it's a hardware limitation of the MP's shutter.  The Nikon F6, for example, has a max shutter speed of 1/8000s.  Use an ND filter and you'll have more flexibility in your choice of aperture on a bright sunny day. 

Very cool, thanks for posting!  It is interesting how his pics are so high key.

Huss, 

I shoot more digital than film. I held out against digital at first, but then made a pretty hard switch about 20 years ago when 6MP DSLRs were the heat. 

Recently, I've made a conscious effort to shoot more film again to practice photography with more intentionality. I don't subscribe to an either/or approach. There's a time and place for both, and these days I shoot film when I want to shoot on purpose and not seeing the results for weeks or months is okay.  I only get to the local lab every now and then. I am considering processing my own film again. It's been a while since I have done that.

My recommendation is that you go nuts shooting digital and then see if you like what you're getting. Just don't blow $10K on an M11 to do it until you think it's really something you're into. A note of caution: digital files pile up fast. Going through a Lightroom catalog of 200K images sucks and if you want prints of your digital images you have to go down the slippery slope of printing and color calibrating all your equipment or you're going to pay some lab to print your stuff (and often be less than satisfied). 

Cheers. 

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, _Alex_ said:

Huss, 

I shoot more digital than film. I held out against digital at first, but then made a pretty hard switch about 20 years ago when 6MP DSLRs were the heat. 

Recently, I've made a conscious effort to shoot more film again to practice photography with more intentionality. I don't subscribe to an either/or approach. There's a time and place for both, and these days I shoot film when I want to shoot on purpose and not seeing the results for weeks or months is okay.  I only get to the local lab every now and then. I am considering processing my own film again. It's been a while since I have done that.

My recommendation is that you go nuts shooting digital and then see if you like what you're getting. Just don't blow $10K on an M11 to do it until you think it's really something you're into. A note of caution: digital files pile up fast. Going through a Lightroom catalog of 200K images sucks and if you want prints of your digital images you have to go down the slippery slope of printing and color calibrating all your equipment or you're going to pay some lab to print your stuff (and often be less than satisfied). 

Cheers. 

Actually digital Leicas got me back into photography, then I noticed that you could seamlessly use film Leicas with them.  And then noticed I preferred many things about shooting film.  I've got an M10r - which is great.  I just like the look from film more.  I have calibrated my monitor a long time ago using an X-rite device.  That purchase actually was the single most important thing to get decent results if there is software involved in your workflow - whether you shoot film or digital.

• Like 2

On 10/8/2023 at 2:25 AM, _Alex_ said:

Huss, 

Cheers. 

Why can’t you practice digital photography with more intentionality? Digital files don’t have to pile up fast. Just because you can store hundreds of photos on a card doesn’t mean you must fill it up in 20 minutes using your camera like a machine gun. As was mentioned in a mother thread a few days ago, I use my M9 in exactly the same way I use my MP (or any other camera for that matter).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, ianman said:

Why can’t you practice digital photography with more intentionality? Digital files don’t have to pile up fast. Just because you can store hundreds of photos on a card doesn’t mean you must fill it up in 20 minutes using your camera like a machine gun. As was mentioned in a mother thread a few days ago, I use my M9 in exactly the same way I use my MP (or any other camera for that matter).

I agree with @ianman on this, last Saturday I went out for a walk with my 3 M9s on Dartmoor, I took a total of24 shots, some were duplicates with slight change of composition because I was using my 21mm and the hotshoe viewfinder. I kept 14 of those shots (for my Dartmoor Photowalk Blog and put a couple up on here). The walk was about 1 1/2 miles and took just over an hour. I (like Ian) use my M9s the same as I do a film camera 99% of the time on base ISO, always in manula and unless the light is particularly awkward no checking the screen. I have to say though I prefer my M9s over 35mm film.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ianman said:

You can. But it's not the same, is it? For me it isn't. For me, it takes me back to photography before digital photography was really a thing, back to when I did it all from scratch--bulk loaded rolls of Tri-X, developed them in the kitchen, hung them in the shower to dry, and then printed them in a darkroom. I don't want to do that all the time anymore. I don't want to do that most of the time any more. Frankly, I don't care to make a darkroom print ever again. Occasionally, though, I like to go out and not have the option to chimp, to not be able to see my results right away, and/or to have 1TB of storage or more in my pocket. To each their own. 

I should also add that I'm not always shooting rangefinders. My old Minolta XG-1, my MP, and my digital M10-P are a shooting experience a world away from shooting my non-rangefinder digital equipment with longer, bigger glass, higher frame rates, really great autofocus, etc. 

Edited by _Alex_

15 minutes ago, _Alex_ said:

But it's not the same, is it?

Talking a digital M and analog M as I was, I’d say yes it is. Virtually identical body, same lenses, same controls except for the wind lever. That is all hardware and once the film loaded/card inserted, for all intents and purposes it is exactly the same. Photography with more intentionality is a decision that you decide to take or not, it’s not a law based on gear or on the medium to record the image.

Obviously many forum members started in the film only era, with a varying degree of involvement in bulk loading, processing and printing.

31 minutes ago, _Alex_ said:

Occasionally, though, I like to go out and not have the option to chimp, to not be able to see my results right away, and/or to have 1TB of storage or more in my pocket.

Sorry I don’t understand this. Are you saying you use digital and don’t want to use some of the advantages it does offer? I’m not having a go, just truly don’t understand what you wrote :).

When I first got my Thambar, being able to learn about it and how to use it as I like, having a digital body was an absolute godsend. Now, I use it mainly with film as I generally prefer the look, but will still use with digital on occasion. Digital and analog are 100% interchangeable and both are used the same way, no more or less intentional.

Of course, each to their own! I’m just trying to understand why film should be more “intentional” than digital. It’s seems to be a widespread round these parts so maybe I’m the odd one out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, ianman said:

...Talking a digital M and analog M as I was, I’d say yes it is (the same). Virtually identical body, same lenses, same controls except for the wind lever. That is all hardware and once the film loaded/card inserted, for all intents and purposes it is exactly the same. Photography with more intentionality is a decision that you decide to take or not, it’s not a law based on gear or on the medium to record the image...

I agree 100%.

To be quite frank I am astonished by how many people can't see how the above is true. The mental and physical aspects and approach to shooting either on film or digitally with an M camera are, in effect, only different if the photographer wishes it to be so.

As has been said numerous times the physical post-prod side of shooting on either medium is different from the other but even then; most of the choices / skills learned through film-processing and wet-printing are directly transferrable to similar choices / skills used in the Digital Darkroom.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ianman said:

Sorry I don’t understand this. Are you saying you use digital and don’t want to use some of the advantages it does offer? I’m not having a go, just truly don’t understand what you wrote :).

Ianman, no offense taken.  :)

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. Sometimes I like to go out and shoot without any modern advantages, on purpose, because it takes me back to a different time and I find it refreshing. It's no different than unplugging from wifi, leaving your cell phone at home for a day, writing a letter by hand or on a mechanical typewriter, etc. It's a nice break every now and again. 

Edited by _Alex_

9 minutes ago, _Alex_ said:

..Sometimes I like to go out and shoot without any modern advantages, on purpose, because it takes me back to a different time and I find it refreshing...

Have you never gone out shooting with a digital M whilst adopting the same mindset as when shooting film? Don't Chimp. Don't look at your files as soon as you get home. Consider your subject matter fully before tripping the shutter and only shoot one frame of your subject-matter.

If you haven't tried that approach I think you should give it a go; you might be astonished at how liberating it can be.

Philip.

20 minutes ago, pippy said:

Have you never gone out shooting with a digital M whilst adopting the same mindset as when shooting film? Don't Chimp. Don't look at your files as soon as you get home. Consider your subject matter fully before tripping the shutter and only shoot one frame of your subject-matter.

If you haven't tried that approach I think you should give it a go; you might be astonished at how liberating it can be.

Philip.

sure, man, I have and I can. I can also just do it my way. You don't have to do it. Move on. 

4 hours ago, _Alex_ said:

sure, man, I have and I can. I can also just do it my way. You don't have to do it. Move on. 

:lol:

Good old Dot and Horticulture; she hit the nail on the head! Hey; there's only so much one can do. I really do hope you get what you deserve.

Edited by pippy

6 hours ago, _Alex_ said:

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. Sometimes I like to go out and shoot without any modern advantages, on purpose, because it takes me back to a different time and I find it refreshing.

So in essence you are using your digital camera as if it’s a film camera. Quod erat demonstrandum.

When I use digital I often chimp. Why would I use digital and then forego one of its advantages?

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2023 at 4:56 PM, logan2z said:

You need to abandon the notion of instant gratification when you're shooting film :)  There have been times when it was months between the time I shot a roll and the time I developed it/saw the images  That does have a benefit - you can be more objective when determining if the photo is a good one since your opinion isn't influenced by the pleasurable memory of the shooting experience (assuming it was pleasurable ;) )  Henry Wessel discusses this in the video below:

It's worth noting that a 1/1000s shutter speed isn't a limitation imposed by film, it's a hardware limitation of the MP's shutter.  The Nikon F6, for example, has a max shutter speed of 1/8000s.  Use an ND filter and you'll have more flexibility in your choice of aperture on a bright sunny day. 

Thanks for posting this, I really enjoyed watching it! 

The part that really resonated with me was the acceptance of shooting the seemingly mundane. I typically have this internal conflict when shooting film that whatever I'm shooting isn't worth photographing given the high cost (time and money) of film and processing. I'm planning to start shooting more rolls again and I think I'll take this tip to review them at a later time. It will be fun to see what (I thought) was interesting, what really is, what is not, and what things were like in the not too distant past. 

• Like 3

On 10/9/2023 at 3:33 PM, ianman said:

So in essence you are using your digital camera as if it’s a film camera. Quod erat demonstrandum.

When I use digital I often chimp. Why would I use digital and then forego one of its advantages?

That’s the whole point of using my M-D 262. Some of us like film Leica better, that’s all.

My M-D is for my digital Leica itch, for everything else, I use Fuji gear.