Any film shooters getting the itch to shoot digital?

Huss

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, Anthony MD said:

I do get more accurate colors with more definition with the MD 262 still film is more pleasing to my eyes quite often…!

Can't corroborate that. On the contrary, I find colour separation better with Kodak's cine stocks than what any digital camera produces by default. Only when you black and white-balance the raw images properly, you'll be close to film. But you will never reach the tenderness of cine stock in skin tones. That is the reason why there are still artists out there (and numbers are increasing) shooting their projects on film, Spielberg, Tarantino, Anderson, Gursky and many, many more. And don't get me started with B&W. No monochrome Leica is remotely close to the real thing. It only excels in resolution but that's to me the least interesting aspect of an image. Your mileage may vary, of course, as this is personal. 

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, hansvons said:

Can't corroborate that. On the contrary, I find colour separation better with Kodak's cine stocks than what any digital camera produces by default. Only when you black and white-balance the raw images properly, you'll be close to film. But you will never reach the tenderness of cine stock in skin tones. That is the reason why there are still artists out there (and numbers are increasing) shooting their projects on film, Spielberg, Tarantino, Anderson, Gursky and many, many more. And don't get me started with B&W. No monochrome Leica is remotely close to the real thing. It only excels in resolution but that's to me the least interesting aspect of an image. Your mileage may vary, of course, as this is personal. 

For landscape photography, my main focus, tends to have more realistic colors from the MD than my film camera.  Yes there is no way to adjust white balance on the MD…!

Edited by Anthony MD

I shoot both film and digital. I generally prefer the look of the  images I shoot on film. Digital images are objective, and film images are subjective. Digital is great for sport, or news, or astrophotography - where you want as detailed and accurate an interpretation of the scene as possible.

But film somehow captures an air of noststalgia, an emotion, a warmth and depth that digital can't yet seem to match up to. I'm sure, as @burchyk mentions above, plug-ins and software will better emulate film in the future, but it's still a good way off.

Here's a photo I snapped last month, on the Olympus MJU2 I bought in 1998. If I'd shot it this on my M11, it just wouldn't have the same feel to it. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12

• 4 weeks later...
Am 13.9.2023 um 03:04 schrieb madNbad:

I tried a couple of DSLR. I like the A7II as a camera but to be effective when out and about, it means adding a battery grip and the lenses are large. I have no desire for a digital M camera and so far the only new camera that has caught my eye is the ZFc. I enjoy the process of using film, mostly because there’s always a bit of mystery if I have done everything right. If traveling by air, it’s too risky to carry film and I’ve reached the point of using my phone to document the trip. If we traveled by air more often, I would invest in a real digital camera but that’s low on the list.

The only way for you to really know is pick a digital camera out of the box and make it your primary for a month. If you’re already using cameras with AE, it’s not that much of a jump, plus you can dial up any ISO you need.

The thing I’m trying to avoid is medium format. There’s something about those big negatives and only twelve exposures.

Oh yes, there sure is something about that. I’m sure there is a 500c waiting for you somewhere. There was one for me, and I don’t regret any bit of going for it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The ever increasing costs of color film is really challenging. I'm trying to tough it out but it is increasingly sucking the fun out of color film photography for me, such that it's quickly becoming a rare treat rather than a constant companion.

Seeing Kodak Pro Image 100 finally return but at double the price it was previously is a massive disappointment. I find it hard to imagine color film will endure at these prices, at least here in Australia.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ii have a rather large assortment of film cameras, 35 and 120. I have a Leica CL digital I bought new from Leica when they first came out. Additionally I have four Canon digitals. As a retired professional photographer I started out with film in the 1970's. Shooting film is enjoyable, shooting digital is just an extension of my computer. Working in the darkroom, loading, reloading, developing, printing, burning and dodging. Yes there are definite limits to print film enhancements. Film places the burden on the photographer's skills; the burden with digital is the software, and skill level of the computer operator to manipulate the image.

• Like 1

I have no itch, I’m just finished with film on travels by plane. Had very damaged 120 films coming out of my Hasselblad after a trip to Tenerife with great shots of El Teide. Such a waste of energy and money. Airport personel at Tenerife was nasty and rude. 
I go to Malaysia next month and I’ll enjoy the peace of mind of my M10-R and leave my M7 alone. Films will have their turn again when travelling by boat and car.

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 3

vor 1 Stunde schrieb otto.f:

I have no itch, I’m just finished with film on travels by plane. Had very damaged 120 films coming out of my Hasselblad after a trip to Tenerife with great shots of El Teide. Such a waste of energy and money. Airport personel at Tenerife was nasty and rude. 
I go to Malaysia next month and I’ll enjoy the peace of mind of my M10-R and leave my M7 alone. Films will have their turn again when travelling by boat and car.

That is really a big struggle tbh! Had a similar experience in Heathrow, London! The airport staff didn't want to hand check the film. They insisted that all film speeds up to 800 will be fine and they were not open for a discussion. I had luck that it seems none of the exposed films have been damaged but was really upset until I received the results from the lab! And it definitely makes travelling way more inconvenient! Does not mean I will stop doing it but definitely a decision to make whether you'd like to bring film or not if travelling via plane! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jewl said:

That is really a big struggle tbh! Had a similar experience in Heathrow, London! The airport staff didn't want to hand check the film. They insisted that all film speeds up to 800 will be fine and they were not open for a discussion. I had luck that it seems none of the exposed films have been damaged but was really upset until I received the results from the lab! And it definitely makes travelling way more inconvenient! Does not mean I will stop doing it but definitely a decision to make whether you'd like to bring film or not if travelling via plane! 

That and lack of time wrt work commitments have made me give up on film now. It was fun, but past 4 years I've definitely been getting more consistent and easier results with digital. Sold the M7, all the film the darkroom stuff and paper this last month.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, otto.f said:

This is a very good example what made me also getting a used digital MM 246 for travel instead of using my Leica M with B&W film. Film only for places which I can reach by car. Results with my monochrome M are so good that I feel less the itch these days to use B&W film. 

Edited by Martin B
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, qqphot said:

i do both extensively, but my digital stuff is all with sony cameras. often with a summicron adapted, but the digital leica bodies don't really appeal to me.

I'm the same but opposite, my film shooting is mainy medium format on Bronica SQ-Ai and my Leica stuff is on M9s.

• 1 month later...

I get the itch. I’ve burned through a few digital cameras and at one point they were my main system. But for 10 years now film has been my go to. Still is. I tried a bunch of the latest digital Ms and I still have an SL2s which doesn’t get much use, the digital Ms I sold. I now have an old m6 and the new one. The SL2s is for low light situations with odd lighting and when I’m using some lighting for ideas. I’ll take film shots at the same time but in those situations digital is great. The rest of the time I shoot film. Mainly because I don’t want to judge things the minute I shoot them, and resisting that is more effort when I’m trying to be in the moment. And I like the quality a lot, there’s a reason people try to make digital look like film not the other way around. But really it’s the whole experience. Like I said though, the moment I need to shoot in a more results based way I shoot digital. It’s just not that often. Don’t underestimate the pull of the advertising and marketing, it’s pervasive. It taps into much deeper consumer and capitalist systems. It’s a legitimate tool but I think for me it needs a specific use case before I’ll reach for it.

• Like 1

Yes, I get the itch for immediate gratification and grab a digital M or SL

And then I get the itch to shoot film and I grab one of the analog M bodies

I usually have 1-2 analog bodies and 1-2 digital bodies when I go out to shoot 

Truly wonderful that I can interchange most M lenses on my analog and digital m bodies without any compromises 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...