Any film shooters getting the itch to shoot digital?

Huss

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The feel, the deliberation, the ergonomics and tactile nature of using a fine piece of equipment is there for me with the film M and I can't see it with digital. There's no itch, the iphone camera is great for just about all photography except my 'hobby film' stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/12/2023 at 6:24 PM, Huss said:

I shoot film 99.9999% of the time, using dozens of different film cameras, Leicas included of course.

But I am getting curious about digital - even though I have a couple of digi cams but never actually use them.  I keep thinking I'd wish I had instead taken a film camera with me.

Any film shooters thinking about trying digital?  And if so, why?

I did, bought an M-D 262 that changed my shooting experience. I get to compare both formats while not having the hassle waiting a month to have film developed while the cost has skyrocketed.

I can shoot all day for free…!

Edited by Anthony MD

On 10/23/2023 at 9:28 AM, Mr.Prime said:

The feel, the deliberation, the ergonomics and tactile nature of using a fine piece of equipment is there for me with the film M and I can't see it with digital. There's no itch, the iphone camera is great for just about all photography except my 'hobby film' stuff.

Try a Leica M-D 262, it will change your mind about digital…!

On 10/23/2023 at 9:28 AM, Mr.Prime said:

The M-D takes images to another level…!

Edited by Anthony MD

On 9/13/2023 at 1:58 AM, 250swb said:

I think I've used my M10 twice this year, and apart from using my Z7 for film scanning I've used it two or three times 'in the wild'. Not much to report, disappointed each time, didn't feel connected to my subject or the camera. I'm having some fun with a digital P&S camera I converted to infrared but it can slip into a pocket and I either remember its there or I don't, ambivalent is the word. Otherwise it's still film all the way!

You need an M-D 262 to change your mind…!

Edited by Anthony MD

26 minutes ago, Datsch said:

You have to act fast for this model…!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

35 minutes ago, Anthony MD said:

You have to act fast for this model…!

I think that's the link for a brand new one, which B&H still list, so yeah that's unavailable.(It's been discontinued for years)

But the secondhand one I linked to at https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/802820010-USE/leica_10945_m_d_typ_262_digital.html seems to be still there as I can put it in my basket, complete with options to prepay UK VAT tax and import duties if I were to be crazy enough to want to bring it across the pond ...

These do go quick though... 🙂

Edited by Datsch

13 minutes ago, Datsch said:

I think that's the link for a brand new one, which B&H still list, so yeah that's unavailable.(It's been discontinued for years)

But the secondhand one I linked to at https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/802820010-USE/leica_10945_m_d_typ_262_digital.html seems to be still there as I can put it in my basket, complete with options to prepay UK VAT tax and import duties if I were to be crazy enough to want to bring it across the pond ...

These do go quick though... 🙂

Good luck…!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It certainly is closer to what I'd be interested in - I think I was looking for an M10D once thinking it would have a longer service life. My M3, M4 are decades old but still serviceable, I'm sure a discontinued digital camera is going to become a brick one day and should be priced accordingly (which they are not). A new camera would presumably have a longer service life but the M11 is an example of too much camera for me as it exceeds much of the technical performance of 35mm film and simply offers more than I need - heck, to my eyes it's capable of replacing MF film in cases where resolution is the priority. The original M was a reliable field-proven camera with few airs and graces, a tool which you could count on. To get the itch to shoot digital I'd want a digital camera that is closer to what I feel is the spirit of the M in simplicity and robustness and is readily available and serviceable without the cost of excess performance.

Edited by Mr.Prime

5 minutes ago, Mr.Prime said:

...a tool  which you could count on. To get the itch to shoot digital I'd want a digital camera that is closer to what I feel is the spirit of the M in simplicity and robustness

For some of us M-D 262 is just that tool,

with some "acceptable flaws", but these flaws are NOT acceptable for many.

Individual thinkings like repair, price, etc. are not debatable.

In that case, I'd be interested to try an M-D 262 but I don't know how that could happen.

hmmm....If I'm honest with myself, I might not enjoy a camera without a film wind-on lever to cock the shutter as much. It actually could boil down to something that stupid!

Edited by Mr.Prime

10 minutes ago, Mr.Prime said:

I might not enjoy a camera without a film wind-on lever to cock the shutter

You are not alone,

Leica ... added the false lever * to M10-D to gain some customers.

I wonder if it will be the case with M11-D 😇.

* not cocking anything

Edited by a.noctilux