Leica Elpro 1, 2, 3, 4

jip

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone,

I've gotten a set of Elpro 1, 2, 3, and 4 in E55 size.

Part numbers:

• Elpro 1 - 16541
  • Elpro 2 - 16542
  • Elpro 3 - 16543
  • Elpro 4 - 16544

Now I am wondering what they are for, I can find information about them being for the Summicron-R 50mm, I have this lens so could try it out. But what I can't easily find is what is the difference between the Elpros, and if you can stack them, and what other lenses they could work on. etc. etc. 

When googling about them I can't find much information about them at all.

Does anyone have an original brochure about them, where Leica tells us what are they for and how are we supposed to use them? And with what lenses etc. Could I for example use them/some/one of them on a M lens like a Summilux-M 50mm or similar with a step up ring.

Any direction into information about the Elpros would be appreciated. For example, sales brochure, LFI articles, or forum articles.

Thank you!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jip
  • Like 1

In a nutshell, they're a less expensive way to do closeups than buying a dedicated macro lens. They'll work on any lens they'll fit. Yes you can use them with filter thread adapters on any lens.  If you have a camera that has live-view and the proper 55mm-39mm adapter, you can use them with a Summicron-M (although I'm not sure why you'd want to if you have a Summicron-R.)    I ran a crime scene unit for eight years with a Canon 28-105 as my primary lens, and used similar +1, +2, and +3 Hoya close up lenses in combination for all of my macro work as my department's budget couldn't afford a dedicated macro lens. 

Edited by hepcat
  • Like 1

I am thinking of using them on my APO-Summicron-M 90mm lens to take close up pictures of flowers for example. I think Elpro 3 or Elpro 4 will work best, based on the pdf @jankap provided. Alternatively I can use it on my Leica Summicron-R 50mm of course. 

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of the Elpro-S 180 for my APO-Elmar 180 on the Leica S, and that made me decide to get these ELPROs for M and R usage... but I didn't research much before buying 🤣 the link @jankap provided makes me understand with what lenses it'll work best. :) 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've tried the Elpro a while back on arrival (not sure which) on M10M with APO-90 with great success. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...

Günter Osterloh's excellent Leicaflex / Leica R book, "Excellence in Photography APPLIED LEICA TECHNIQUE ",  Pages 162 - 189 "The Near Range" includes full specs of all Leitz R Elpro supplementary c/u lenses and techniques for using same. I use R Elpros frequently and find them to be the equal of marque macro lenses.  Günter Osterloh's book can be a little fragile; binding needs treating with TLC to avoid pages separating.