First time Leica M owner - sharing my first impressions

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, Leicaboy Norway said:

But with this new M mount travel i'm on, sharpness is not my first priority. 

As many others I want the experience and emotions closer to film. 

The mentioned 3d like pop, or image character is first. I'm not saying I want soft photos, but I want photos that transmit feelings beyond the compositional values. I mean colors and character, the right contrast etc.

That's why I was wondering if maybe I should consider another 35mm lens or at least something a bit wider than my 50.

well said... sometimes i think we (me included) lose sight of the fact that 'image quality' doesn't equal 'quality image'. 

that said, if you need to satisfy your GAS, have a look at CV's attempt at making the original summilux - not sure if youre after vintage rendering. If you want something ultra fast the CV 35mm f1.2 v3 might also be worth having a look

h

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you were to get a portrait lens for your M240... at around $700...

Would you get a Summicron M 90mm f2 pre ashp (3X serial) or a Voigtländer 75mm f/1.5? 

They're priced around the same.

I'm a bit concerned with the size of the Leica lens, and also some reports that the CV isn't sharp wide open. It's not that I am insanely focused on every lens being sharp, im more about character and colors, and the magic some lenses create, but I have had lenses that are so soft wide open that I'd rather get a smaller slower lens that at least i didnt have to think about sharpness when adjusting aperture...

17 hours ago, Leicaboy Norway said:

Would you get a Summicron M 90mm f2 pre ashp (3X serial) or a Voigtländer 75mm f/1.5? 

They're priced around the same.

I'm a bit concerned with the size of the Leica lens, and also some reports that the CV isn't sharp wide open. It's not that I am insanely focused on every lens being sharp, im more about character and colors, and the magic some lenses create, but I have had lenses that are so soft wide open that I'd rather get a smaller slower lens that at least i didnt have to think about sharpness when adjusting aperture..

i dont think you can go wrong with either

some factors you should consider when deciding:

1. how easy it is to nail critical focus;
  2. working distance with the subject; and
  3. what other lens you are using

a portrait lens just needs to be sharp enough. having too much fine detail just means you need to spend more time in post touching up all the skin blemishes (or run risk of being clubbed by the subject for showing too much 'detail'). 

the DOP for a 75mm f1.5 and a 90mm f2 is about the same at 1m - but the framelines favors 75mm

the CV will give you almost 1 more stop of light and due to the shorter focal length - you'll be able to use a slightly slower shutter speed 

if you plan to use another lens (in combo) i'd suggest going with the 90mm if you mainly shoot 50mm (and 75mm if you mainly shoot 35mm)

for me 75mm is preferred as

1. i like using my 35mm for portraits
  2. i can be much closer to my subject - helps with building rapport etc
  3. its easier to use in confined spaces 

from what i've seen on youtube the CV 75mm f1.5 is a stellar lens. i have the baby brother the CV 75mm Ultron f1.9, but i dont really use it as my workhorse lens combo is the CV35mm f1.2 v3 and 7A 75mm f1.25. the 7A is technically not a great lens, but i love its rendering at f2.8 (see image 1 from my recent shoot). i guess thats the subjective 'character' aspect of picking a lens  

• Like 2

Thank you for your awesome reasoning, insights and advice, sometimesmaybe.

I did however go with the 90mm f2 serial 3x.

The reasons being:

1. Collectors value (I have a lot of lenses and it's kind of reassuring to know that they hold some value in case I want to or need to sell them at some point. Besides the monetary, Leica lenses also with their build quality hold up well in terms of function.  

1. I had a 70's Summicron-M 90mm f2 that I sold because it was a bit unruly to focus with on my Canon R5 (didn't have an M camera back then), but the images I did nail focus with have a different character and charm to them than let's say the Canon RF 85mm 1.2 which I'm pretty sure is the best 85mm created, at least IMO. Sold the Canon due to the size.

1.  Seller was really nice and I felt we have/had a good communication. 

1. 4) I don't need a portrait lens to be very sharp wide open, but "sharp enough", and I felt I could trus the Summicron to be just that, without showing all the pimples and stuff.

1. 5) the lcd on the m240 isn't too bad for critical focusing, and I also got a Olympus external viewfinder for $60 to use if in strong light.

So I think I'll do fine. Looking really forward to getting it :) Thanks again!

Edit: sorry about the formatting! I was trying to make the text easier to read 😂

Edited by Leicaboy Norway
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update! 

Used my 90mm for about a month! Brought it to Greece too. I love it.

It is heavier on the M240 than the 50 Cron and 35 1.7 Ultron CV, but compared to any other non rangefinder brand, it is a small lens.

I dont find it very hard or very easy to focus. With the M240 you have the LCD for focus peaking and other times I will just focus with the 90 through the viewifinder.

I also find it has some magic to it. Like a non measurable magic, which is excactly the quality I'm after. Yes it is also sharp. But it can make magical photos with atmosphere.

BTW do you guys recommend any accessories for the 90mm in combination with my M240? Magnifier? Or that metal thing that looks like the next frame thing on analog cameras? Winder almost?

Lenses for my M240 now are 50 sumicron v5, Voigtlander 35 1.7 and Summicron 90mm f2. And all three are amazing, and different beyond their focal length differences. Love it. Pure art.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Leicaboy Norway said:

Magnifier? Or that metal thing that looks like the next frame thing on analog cameras? Winder almost?

thumbs grip? i dont have one myself as i need the hotshoe for the EVF. i have the multifunction grip (which also has usb and flash synch ports) for my larger lenses.

i have a magnifier but never use it as the EVF is good enough for my needs 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 hours ago, sometimesmaybe said:

thumbs grip? i dont have one myself as i need the hotshoe for the EVF. i have the multifunction grip (which also has usb and flash synch ports) for my larger lenses.

i have a magnifier but never use it as the EVF is good enough for my needs 

I have a "Thumbs Up" device, with a cold shoe so I can mount an external optical finder (for my ZM 18mm/f4 Distagon). While I have the VF-2 EVF, I never use it. I guess I'm an "optical finder bigot". I just plain don't like EVFs. Possibly to my disadvantage, but there it is.

...Mike

• Like 2