Lens Cap for Summilux 1.4/35

Lew

Assuming your Summilux 35/1.4 non asph is a version 2 (11870), the regular lens cap is the Leica 14143 black plastic cap for it but any push-on A42 lens cap should fit like Leica 14003 (metal black paint), 14031 (metal silver), 14268 (plastic black), 14285 (metal black anodized), or 14321 (metal silver). Less expensive A42 copies can be found on Amazon or eBay.

• 4 months later...

Is 42mm the measurement of the outer diameter of the Summilux v2 pre-asph (11870) for caps that slip over the the front?

Could one use a pinch cap instead? What would the inner diameter be?

Thank you.

(As an aside, I roll my eyes at sellers that somehow can't include even a $5 cap for such an expensive lens.)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

36 minutes ago, weatherproof said:

Could one use a pinch cap instead? What would the inner diameter be? [...]

Leica did not offer pinch-on caps for this lens AFAIK. Generic 41mm ones could fit i guess but i did not try. As far as A42 push-on lens caps are concerned, the regular one was the Leica 14143 black plastic cap if memory serves but the following ones will fit too: Leica 14003 (metal black paint), 14031 (metal silver), 14268 (plastic black), 14285 (metal black anodized), or 14321 (metal silver).

19 minutes ago, lct said:

Leica did not offer pinch-on caps for this lens AFAIK. Generic 41mm ones could fit i guess but i did not try.

Thanks lct.

I should have googled harder, but it looks like one wants a 39mm pinch cap. Sources:

https://www.photo.net/forums/topic/210267-lens-cap-size-for-35mm-summilux-pre-asph/

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1788123/3 (German w/ serial 3433xxx)

And for anyone who wants a cap for the 12504 hood, this thread was helpful: 

Edited by weatherproof
add 12504 info

Kaiser provides well-made, push-on lens caps, in an assortment of inner diameters. It is the responsibility of the user to measure the lens, filter, or whatever object is to be capped. This link is for one of the sizes, 49mm, that I randomly selected to copy and paste. There is a drop-down menu for selecting other sizes.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/125281-REG/Kaiser_206949_49mm_Push_On_Lens_Cap.html

My only “relationship” with B&H is that of a paying customer. 

Edited by RexGig0

• 1 month later...
On 12/22/2023 at 12:42 PM, lct said:

I used to try Fuji and Voigtlander 39mm pinch-on caps on my German made 35/1.4 v2 from 1989 (35015**) but they tended to fall off too easily.

Following up for posterity, I measured the ID of my '92 v2 Summilux and it was ~39.8mm.

I had a generic 40.5mm pinch cap and that worked, but only because when fully compressed the springy bits go down to ~39.4mm. Don't know how common this is or if I lucked out with sample variation.

23 hours ago, weatherproof said:

[...] I measured the ID of my '92 v2 Summilux and it was ~39.8mm. I had a generic 40.5mm pinch cap and that worked, but only because when fully compressed the springy bits go down to ~39.4mm. [...]

I did not measure anything but the 40.5mm pinch-on cap of my M-Rokkor 40/2 fits well my Summilux v2 too.

My lens was equipped with this nice cap with embossed Leica logo and red felt inside. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It's pretty similar to this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385576447397?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=vx4sfj7rtoc&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=&var=653399422818&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edited by evikne