Voulez VOOLA Pour Moi?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I thought it would be nice to pick up a VOOLA for my Leica II/III and its Elmar lens, to help overcome all that fine fiddling with aperture adjustment. A single piece of metal. very clever, looks like it could be very useful.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

But yikes the prices!

I think it could be a long wait before I see one.

In the meantime here's a nice photo of a train. Steam folk may recognise it, it's just a few years younger than the camera.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, TLG said:

I thought it would be nice to pick up a VOOLA for my Leica II/III and its Elmar lens, to help overcome all that fine fiddling with aperture adjustment. A single piece of metal. very clever, looks like it could be very useful.

But yikes the prices!

I think it could be a long wait before I see one.

In the meantime here's a nice photo of a train. Steam folk may recognise it, it's just a few years younger than the camera.

Well Flying Scotsman was 100 years old in February, I don't think your camera is older than that.

You beat me to an edit.

I meant to say the Scotsman was earlier (not younger) – so obviously yes, the train is older.

The venting about VOOLA prices still stands though. 🤣

Edited by TLG
clarification
  • Like 1

vor 17 Minuten schrieb TLG:

Do you mean a VALOO? There's an idea. I suppose I could sell my FISON hood and put it towards one of those.

Do you know happen to know how much heavier they are?

Sorry for the typo, VALOO is correct - and it is heavier than FISON 'cause it's thick, full metal. But manageble and handling is superb. (I have both, always choose the VALOO).

Edited by romanus53

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another option, with a very clever design that looks like a FISON and gives aperture adjustment is the Flashback one. I have named it the ELFAS, a kind of super-FISON. 

I included a picture in an earlier post:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/327713-question-re-the-elmar-50mm-f35-f28-ltm-lenses/?do=findComment&comment=4337938

Operating a VOOLA inside a FISON or filter means loosen the screw, turn the whole item and watch the aperture-scale. If you use a VALOO you just mount it one time and then operate its aperture ring. You can use a 19 mm Filter inside the VALOO if needed.

Edited by romanus53

Thank you for all the feedback so far. It's proved very illuminating!

I will investigate the VALOO as a potential alternative and the Flashback FB-07 looks excellent (though it does not ship outside of Japan).

Yes, I tend to set at f9 and try to leave it there, then adjusting speed, but sometimes for artistic reasons I like a shallower depth of field.

The biggest photographic difference I've experienced is between lens hood/no lens hood. For contrast it certainly improves things (train photo above with FISON ON). If I'm trying for a 1920s look then I often leave it off.

I try to travel light, so my Leica fits in a small leather pouch (see towards the back of the photo), with a SBOOI and a FISON in small separate holders simply attached to the pouch shoulder strap.

• Like 1

Update

After considering the available options kindly provided by the contributors here, the current pricing of the VOOLA (which I imagine isn't going to go down), and as an investment – I have decided to take up @105012's suggestion and acquire a Flashback Camera FB-07 Elmar Lens Hood ["ELFAS"]. By contacting Flashback Camera directly I was able to arrange shipping. They are very responsive and efficient. A pleasure to deal with.

I am looking forward to receiving the new lens hood.

Edited by TLG
  • Like 1

I will post again here after I've had a chance to use the FB-07.

Meanwhile, another steam photo (with actual steam). I'm not too fussed about technical excellence but being able to capture an image on film with my "miniature camera" is a pleasant thing to do.

Edited by TLG
  • Like 1

A tip for using the ELFAS: every now and then, check the tightening screw is tight and the hood is fully in position.

It is a lovely thing, black paint on brass, beautifully made. Honestly, it’s what Leitz should have shipped back in the day, and would be worth a pretty penny today if that was what had happened!

13 hours ago, 105012 said:

it’s what Leitz should have shipped back in the day, and would be worth a pretty penny today if that was what had happened!

It's not the cheapest thing to acquire outside of Japan (shipping, import duties) but in comparison with the cost/benefit of the VOOLA and as a long term investment it looks to be worthwhile. We shall see.

I await its arrival.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TLG said:

It's not the cheapest thing to acquire outside of Japan (shipping, import duties) but in comparison with the cost/benefit of the VOOLA and as a long term investment it looks to be worthwhile. We shall see.

I await its arrival.

Nice picture, I miss working on steam, my last turn was back in 1991.

As expected, there's been lots of centenary events this year for The Flying Scotsman, so plenty of photographic opportunities. I hope for more as my friend's just got a job at the National Railway Museum.

While I wait for the FB-07, here's a photo of my fairly compact setup. SBOOI and FISON in the small pouches attached to the strap. Leica I (1929)/Leica III (1933).

• Like 2

On 7/8/2023 at 12:15 AM, TLG said:

The Bobs Camera blog has some comments on the FB-07. [Japanese]

https://akirasofti.exblog.jp/30132751/

entertaining read - reminded me of the movie "Lost In Translation"

The feeling of operation is perfect, and normally you don't put grease in the hood lol
However, thanks to the grease, it has a faint slimy feeling that can be said to be sensual.
  • Haha 1