35mm Summicron V3 - best kept secret

Advertisement (gone after registration)

35/2 version 2 and 3 are certainly different optically.

Even without knowing what is inside, one can easily see that the front lenses have different diameters. However, both are designed by Dr. Mandler and not too far apart in time, so they most likely share a lot of character and the optical ideals of the time.

I own a V3 that I bought used 20 years ago for so little that I won't even mention it - other than at the time I did not think it was cheap at all - things change.
I am very happy with it and the thought of replacing it never occurred.

I have shared this before, but I think it fits well into this thread:

Instagram's @TokyoCamerastyle aka John Sypal was one of the influencers that was invited to Wetzlar for the M6 re-release.

He took below photo of Leica CEO Andreas Kaufmann showing his M11 paired with a 35/2 V3.

Dr. Kaufmann can pick and choose from any Leica shelf - and he chooses this lens!!

I have no idea if his photography sucks, but if so, it is not the fault of the lens 😉

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Credit: Instagram: @tokyocamerastyle John Sypal.

Edited by nitroplait
inserted credit links
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I love the v3. I got a great copy for $1350 last year and it has become my everyday, random snapshot lens because it's just so small. It's obviously not as sharp and contrasty as my 28 cron which is my most used lens, but it's just a great all-arounder. Here's a recent shot. I think the lens renders bright lights in an interesting way. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I just picked mine up, I'm already in love with the compact size. 
I wasn't really in for a 35 as I have the Zeiss 35mm Distagone already but I found this battered one for less than £700 so I had to pull the trigger. Cosmetically, it has paint loss and the numbers all a bit faded but the glasses are free from scratches, separations etc. so it's all good.

• Like 2

On 9/25/2023 at 12:20 PM, Bear said:

I love the v3. I got a great copy for $1350 last year and it has become my everyday, random snapshot lens because it's just so small. It's obviously not as sharp and contrasty as my 28 cron which is my most used lens, but it's just a great all-arounder. Here's a recent shot. I think the lens renders bright lights in an interesting way. 

Yes, it has glow similar to the Pre asph lux. I have both and don't use the cron much because they're both about the same size. But when I do I'm always glad I bought it. 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2023 at 4:51 AM, nitroplait said:

35/2 version 2 and 3 are certainly different optically.

Even without knowing what is inside, one can easily see that the front lenses have different diameters. However, both are designed by Dr. Mandler and not too far apart in time, so they most likely share a lot of character and the optical ideals of the time.

I own a V3 that I bought used 20 years ago for so little that I won't even mention it - other than at the time I did not think it was cheap at all - things change.
I am very happy with it and the thought of replacing it never occurred.

I have shared this before, but I think it fits well into this thread:

Instagram's @TokyoCamerastyle aka John Sypal was one of the influencers that was invited to Wetzlar for the M6 re-release.

He took below photo of Leica CEO Andreas Kaufmann showing his M11 paired with a 35/2 V3.

Dr. Kaufmann can pick and choose from any Leica shelf - and he chooses this lens!!

I have no idea if his photography sucks, but if so, it is not the fault of the lens 😉

Credit: Instagram: @tokyocamerastyle John Sypal.

This is very cool!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here's another shot taken in Spring in Santa Barbara

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have all the latest and greatest Summiluxes in various focal lengths, but I keep this lens attached to my M almost all the time for the past year, mainly because of its compactness. I like both the 28mm and 50mm, but 35mm is a sweet spot between the two. Plus, the size of this lens is the logical reason for choosing it over any others I have.

It's funny that I purchased this lens while on a trip, totally unplanned. I didn't have any bag with me, and the lens I had was too big to carry around my neck all day. So, I went into the store and asked for the smallest and cheapest lens, and I got this. It was a totally good find, and I paid 10 times less for it than almost any other lens I have.

I used a v3 for many years until I bought a Summilux Asph pre-FLE. The v3 had excellent tonality with b/w film and better ergonomics compared to the v4 because the lens tab is not so close to the lens mount. I wouldn’t mind having one for my M10M.