New Q3 with defective sensor?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/20/2023 at 9:04 AM, LocalHero1953 said:

I see no reason to over-react to this evidence of noise. Noise reduction has been a part of my digital image processing for the last decade or more. What you show here is easily manageable with current noise reduction tools in post processing - at least to a state that you would not notice it in normal use and image display. Do your images depend on severe cropping in deep shadows at high ISO? 

You are showing the display on the camera for both Q3 and Sony. These will be JPGs, which may or may not have had NR (and other processing) applied automatically. How do similar shots look in raw with no NR?

Spoken like a true Leicaiste. 😉 Leica has always been very light on in-camera noise reduction, as opposed to some other (Japanese) brands, leaving it to the user to take control.

1 hour ago, RobW0 said:

I just read the cited page from the manual, and it says the camera will do it automatically every two weeks. Interesting, I wonder if it automatically does it at startup or shut down or when?

As I understand it, pixel remappping is a means of deactivating those pixels that are stuck. At what point does one not have enough pixels for the expected quality of the sensor? 😀

David

Edited by David Wien

Pixel remapping has been around for decades.  I had a 1080p Sony PWM-EX1 back in 2007, was a 1/2 inch cinema sensor, up to 1080p.  After 2 years of run and gun use, dead pixels appeared.  Sony pro support over the phone worked me through diagnostic menus to remap and everything looked fine since.  I used this cam for videos until the first Sony mirrorless.  So, this remapping functionality is tried and true, in many camera formats over the years.

2 hours ago, David Wien said:

As I understand it, pixel remappping is a means of deactivating those pixels that are stuck. At what point does one not have enough pixels for the expected quality of the sensor? 😀

David

I understand what it does. My question was when it does the automatic remapping. 

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting read as I am waiting for my Q3. However, I have a Fuji X-T5, which I will continue to use, if I take night pictures at high ISO and process from RAW in photoshop and increase clarity I get lots of those dots in the black areas, if I convert from RAW using DXO and bring into PS, then no white dots...