Any M users here considering a Q3?

James1975

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/13/2023 at 8:18 AM, James1975 said:

if M users mix the Q system as well as the M or not

For the last 6ish years I carried a Q (Typ 116) and an M (Typ 262) together.  I kept a 75mm lens on the M.  Worked well for me, but I used my Q like an M, meaning manual focus almost all of the time.  Now that I have an M11 my Q is semi retired.  I'm keeping it for point-n-shoot duty around the house.  That does leave me with an unresolved question: Do I keep the M 262?  Jury is still out.  Right now I'm swapping lenses -- 35 and 75 -- on the M11.  I might go back to carrying two bodies.

• Like 1

I had the Q2 last year and liked it a lot. But I already have so much gear. I enjoy the M11 for when light and slow is the right approach, and my A7RV (plus several lenses) is a less enjoyable, but extremely reliable tool when speed, reach and resiliency is needed. My iPhone 14 ProMax is a pretty good gap-filler and I still use a RX100V when i need a bit more i.e. for skiing etc. I expect the Q3 to cost significantly above 6k€, and owning already so much gear, i cannot justify that in addition for limited use. But I remain curious and will handle the Q3 at next weeks introduction event anyway. 

I have an M11 and Q2. Not upgrading. 28mm is not my main focal length. If they ever make a 40-50mm then I'm in for sure. 100% guaranteed sale. Until then, no.

That said I like the Q2. I think Leica is shooting themselves in the foot by not having other focal lengths. They're worried it'll cannibalise the M or SL (maybe it would with the SL). In reality they'd have a waiting list for years for a 40-50mm and a 90mm Q cameras.

Between this and dropping the CL I think who ever is making the decisions there, doesn't quite get it.

Gordon

• Like 7

The Q was my entry into the world of Leica, followed by a Q2. I sold that last year when I bought the M11. I've just returned from a trip to Europe with the M11 + 24 and 50 lenses (something not possible with a fixed lens camera of course). However there were a few things that have made me think about the Q3 again...

- When I was just walking around the cities, many times I had a small crossbody pouch that only had the M11 and one lens instead of my full backpack. So in a sense, I was carrying a fixed lens camera for a lot of the time.

- When it was drizzling or a bit wet out, I was nervous to take out the M11. With the Q3, there would be no such worry.

- I've been trying to be more focused on slowing down my photography and learning the RF system. However, I sometimes feel I'm missing shots at low apertures due to shallow DoF, even when utilizing the Visoflex 2. And certainly it takes a bit of time - which then may mean the moment has gone (like when trying to do street photography). Autofocus has its place for me still and the Q3 would provide that again.

Tough decision though given I've invested in the M system now and still really enjoy using that.

Edited by TheEyesHaveIt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, with the new Q3 and the specs that are rumored now. So I definitely think that the Q3 will be a good addition to my Leica MD. The new M have become so expensive that it is difficult to keep up with them now. So a Q3 for auto focus and for video and the wife can take over the photography (so it also looks like you have been on holiday yourself) then I can use my Leica MD myself when the photography is more about an RF feeling (which I still love and won't do without) So my Leica M will be used for something completely different from the Q3. So I "turn down" the investments on M and on my iPhone - use Q instead. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

to me, it comes down to hold a drink or not to hold a drink.

M is cool, but it is a 2 hands operation. the Q offers performance and one button operation like a lazy photographer that can hold a during a party and still take drunk photos.

So you will need both!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I'm primarily a Medium Format guy but I bought a Q2M because it's b&w resolution is so good. That brought me back to the M11 after having left the M cameras a decade ago.

Now I'm very happy to have both.

Here's what the Q3 offers that I'd be interested in on top of using my M11:

1. Weather protection
  2. 8K video
  3. 28mm focal length (I only shoot with a 50mm right now on my M11, and want something wider on occasion)
  4. close focus/macro (My 50mm is the close focus, but it's not anything near a macro setting)
  5. Phase detect hybrid AF (I don't do much that needs AF where using a RF doesn't work, but there could be times)

I think that's really it for me that would move me towards getting the Q3. A really nice Summilux 28mm lens is already 3/4 of the way there in price haha.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kinetic said:

I think that's really it for me that would move me towards getting the Q3. A really nice Summilux 28mm lens is already 3/4 of the way there in price haha.

the lens is actually much wider than 28mm, more like 25mm on the Q's

1 hour ago, Photoworks said:

the lens is actually much wider than 28mm, more like 25mm on the Q's

Well, either way, I think it fits in that focal area for me. I actually don't love that wide of a focal length for most things, but on occasion it's needed.

On my other camera systems, my widest is usually 35mm, and then I have a 21mm just in case, but it's rarely used.

Not me.  I found that I prefer my M11 with Summicron 35, far more than my Q2.  So, I sold the Q2 a couple of months ago and don't need/want another Q.  The 28 just isn't the right focal-length for me.  They make great photos but are far more restrictive than an ILC camera - for me. 

• Like 3

I still have my Q2, but I barely use it anymore after buying an M11 a year ago - I think I only shot with it a couple of times when my M11 was being repaired.

I shot with Q and Q2 for years, and Q3 looks like a fantastic camera, but I see no reason to buy it right now.

Q3M, on the other hand, might be the perfect companion camera for me.

I had a Q2 and sold it for an M11. Since then Ive had a few thoughts about how much auto focus would have got me an incredible amount of more shots.. and now the Q3 finally has a tilting screen for the ability to really shoot from the hip with AF..

But even so I LOVE the M11 size, weight, and the beauty of nailing the focus.. its as if a day of street shooting can be either 'see it and shoot' (Q2 Autofocus) or 'see it, nail focus, shoot' (M11), and I know the M11 is the one that feels more exhilarating to use..

The only reason Id want a Q3 is the weather sealing.. But even then I think an M11 can take the rain (I hope!)

(sniffs) There's an oft-cited equivalency expressed by the Q's proponents of the Q's lens to an M-mount 28mm Summilux. 

[Breathlessly: "It's like getting a Summilux for thousands less and they throw in a free body!!"]

.... and I guess I just don't buy it.

Possibly (maybe perhaps) pedantic, but the reliance of the Q lens on software correction to address its inherent and significant barrel distortion just bugs me. For that reason, I can't shake the impression that it's not really an equivalent lens to its M-mount namesake. Yet for reasons that are not photographic, Leica felt obliged to apply the Summilux name to what's indisputably a different lens. 

It would be as if they applied the Summilux name to their silly watch to enhance its curb appeal. 

I'd better be ready to duck under the table after such an admission of bias. But durn it, that Emperor, he's, what, you can't see it? He's, by golly, he's....

(ducks under the table to dodge the fourteen incoming over-ripe tomatoes, a dozen rotten eggs, and other fragrant detritus)

Well, at least it's weather sealed. Definitely the Leica you'd want to bring to a food fight...