Weight of the Sigma 105 macro Art on Leica CL mount

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

My Leica CL always gives me as much pleasure, associated with the TL 18, TL 18-56 as well as the recent Sigma 105 DG DN macro Art.

I am now wondering if the weight of the Sigma 105 macro (715 g) does not put too much strain on the CL mount when the assembly is mounted on the tripod head via the nut under the housing. (This Sigma 105 weighs 300 g more than the Leica CL.)

I searched but I can't find a stand collar that can fit this Sigma 105 optic to relieve the case.
The shame would be that an unreliable lens collar would then be more fragile than the optical + housing assembly via the housing nut.

Maybe I'm also worried about nothing...

Thanks in advance for your feedback,
Guytou

Edited by Guytou

2 hours ago, Guytou said:

Hello,

My Leica CL always gives me as much pleasure, associated with the TL 18, TL 18-56 as well as the recent Sigma 105 DG DN macro Art.

I am now wondering if the weight of the Sigma 105 macro (715 g) does not put too much strain on the CL mount when the assembly is mounted on the tripod head via the nut under the housing. (This Sigma 105 weighs 300 g more than the Leica CL.)

I searched but I can't find a stand collar that can fit this Sigma 105 optic to relieve the case.
The shame would be that an unreliable lens collar would then be more fragile than the optical + housing assembly via the housing nut.

Maybe I'm also worried about nothing...

Thanks in advance for your feedback,
Guytou

When you use it, you should always carry it with your left hand, exercising some understanding to try to balance its weight. As seen in the photo.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Yes thanks Dopaco, my left hand supports the Sigma macro when the set is carried via the neck strap.

But my question arises when the set is on a tripod via the camera nut, to do landscape or macro. 
In this case, my left hand can get free and no longer support the lens.

I also notice that the TL 55-135 zoom is not light either and weighs 547 g (with lens hood), not to mention other equally heavy M lenses used with the Leica CL.

But, as I said, maybe I'm worrying for nothing...

Guytou

I have used quite a few weighty lenses on the CL. I don't use the camera as the support, I use the lens. With a 400 Leica Telyt, a huge lens, I only touch the camera to mount the lens, and press the shutter release. I am currently working with a 200mm Micro Nikkor, also a heavy lens, but very well balanced because of internal focusing. This is not the weight or the size of the 400, even with its TC301 2x converter, so as Dopaco says, left hand goes under the balance point of the lens, so the weight on the lens mount is only the camera body. 

vor 6 Minuten schrieb Guytou:

Yes thanks Dopaco, my left hand supports the Sigma macro when the set is carried via the neck strap.

But my question arises when the set is on a tripod via the camera nut, to do landscape or macro. 
In this case, my left hand can get free and no longer support the lens.

I also notice that the TL 55-135 zoom is not light either and weighs 547 g (with lens hood), not to mention other equally heavy M lenses used with the Leica CL.

But, as I said, maybe I'm worrying for nothing...

Guytou

Don't use the camera for mounting a heavy lens, use the mount for the lens. If you don't like it for hand holding, it is necessary for a tripod mounting. You really don't want the camera holding a heavy lens without lens support.

Thank you for your answers.

The Sigma 105 macro does not have a foot collar. The set camera + lens is thus fixed on the tripod via the body.
But I can't find a stand collar for this lens.

The question is : is 715 g too heavy for the Leica CL to carry alone on the tripod ?

I don't have an answer to that...

Guytou

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you use it frequently, you should buy additional accessories or use the famous bags as you see in the photo.

On Amazon there are several add-ons for sale, including bags.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks Dopaco, but I don't see these bags being used with a tripod... 😄

Ideally, I'd like to find a tripod collar like that, with the right diameter for the Sigma 105 macro : https://fr.aliexpress.com/i/1005004716971767.html

Or a longer Arca Swiss plate for the tripod head: the body-lens assembly would be attached via this plate under the CL body while allowing the lens to rest at the other end of the plate.
This would take some of the load off the camera bayonet.

But I don't know if such an Arca Swiss plate exists...

On the other hand, the Leica manual does not specify the maximum weight of a lens that can be supported by the bayonet of the CL body.
I only read that some users use lenses exceeding one kilo without manual assistance and without any particular problem...

I will obviously not go that far !

Guytou

Edited by Guytou

10 hours ago, Guytou said:

Thanks Dopaco, but I don't see these bags being used with a tripod... 😄

Ideally, I'd like to find a tripod collar like that, with the right diameter for the Sigma 105 macro : https://fr.aliexpress.com/i/1005004716971767.html

Or a longer Arca Swiss plate for the tripod head: the body-lens assembly would be attached via this plate under the CL body while allowing the lens to rest at the other end of the plate.
This would take some of the load off the camera bayonet.

But I don't know if such an Arca Swiss plate exists...

On the other hand, the Leica manual does not specify the maximum weight of a lens that can be supported by the bayonet of the CL body.
I only read that some users use lenses exceeding one kilo without manual assistance and without any particular problem...

I will obviously not go that far !

Guytou

I think this is what you are looking for.... I believe (from reviews) the L and E mount lens options are the same body just different mounts.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234036155196?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338344815&toolid=11000&_ul=UK&customid=Cj0KCQjwi46iBhDyARIsAE3nVrZdXPgbQjcy_EyhFq0xhMJFr4_BYVaVsX55uflZEYGUJgvWLC7_eG4aAsY7EALw_wcB&gclid=Cj0KCQjwi46iBhDyARIsAE3nVrZdXPgbQjcy_EyhFq0xhMJFr4_BYVaVsX55uflZEYGUJgvWLC7_eG4aAsY7EALw_wcB

• Like 1

Thanks Boojay 🙂

I had already seen this necklace for Sony mount E.
Indeed, the Sigma 105 DG DN macro Art lens in E or L mount should only differ by the mount and this collar could very well be suitable for my lens.
I will see this very closely.

Many thanks again for these clarifications.

Guytou

• Like 1

I think there is a problem with the images in the Ebay ad.

In one picture it is indicated that the internal diameter of the collar is 61.5 mm. In reality the diameter of the end of the lens where the collar is fixed is about 65.5 mm. Moreover this place is the smallest diameter of the whole lens.

Is this an error in the picture of the description ? 
I don't know and I will ask the seller.

Guytou

11 hours ago, Guytou said:

Surely looking carefully you will find the right accessory.

In the manual of my TL2 it says this about the objectives:

"COMPATIBLE LENSES

All Leica TL lenses essentially have the same external design: they have an external bayonet on the front mount for the lens hood and an internal thread for filters, a setting ring for the distance, a fixed ring with a red index button for changing lens, and a contact strip for transferring information and control signals.

Leica TL zoom lenses also have an additional focal length setting ring with its own index.
Apart from Leica TL lenses, Leica SL lenses can be attached with their L bayonet to the Leica TL2, making full use of all their func- tions."

Some of the SL objectives are very heavy, although they are prepared to be placed on tripods.

Thanks for the info Dopaco.

Most SL lenses are indeed quite heavy, some are well over a kilo.
However I don't quite understand this "although they are prepared to be placed on tripods"
What does this mean?
I have searched but I don't see anything about this in the CL manual...

I may also be able to install this under the body-lens assembly : https://www.kaletys.fr/shop-1/benro-pl100-plateau-arca-swiss-pour-objectif-tete-benro-gh2/gh3

This plate would have a small wedge at its end where the lens barrel would rest. This would relieve the bayonet of the CL in horizontal photography (this effect is lost in vertical position of the camera.)

I'm waiting for the Ebay seller's answer on the error of the diameter in the E mount foot collar ad.

Guytou

On 4/22/2023 at 10:08 AM, Boojay said:

Hello Boojay,

The salesman has just answered me. He tells me that his foot collar doesn't fit my lens and that he doesn't have a suitable foot collar...
His ad is a bit fancy, everything seems to be mixed up and I prefer to drop it...

While searching, I found this one that might fit : https://www.amazon.com/iShoot-Compatible-Converter-Arca-Swiss-Dovetail/dp/B08RNHDDQQ
The 66 mm diameter indicated is very close to the one where it would fit on my lens (65.5 mm). However, I don't know if the indicated diameter (66) is given for the open or fully tightened collar.

I still really want to order it, I'll see when I receive it...

Guytou

• Like 1

Amazon has always given me a lot of security, if it doesn't work, you return it and they pay you the money quickly. I have never had any problems with them and I buy a lot from them.

22 hours ago, Guytou said:

Hello Boojay,

The salesman has just answered me. He tells me that his foot collar doesn't fit my lens and that he doesn't have a suitable foot collar...
His ad is a bit fancy, everything seems to be mixed up and I prefer to drop it...

While searching, I found this one that might fit : https://www.amazon.com/iShoot-Compatible-Converter-Arca-Swiss-Dovetail/dp/B08RNHDDQQ
The 66 mm diameter indicated is very close to the one where it would fit on my lens (65.5 mm). However, I don't know if the indicated diameter (66) is given for the open or fully tightened collar.

I still really want to order it, I'll see when I receive it...

Guytou

Good luck with your search.. I have no idea why they shouldn't be readily available, especially for a macro lens.  I would still want to see a side by side comparison of the E Mount and the L Mount lens to be certain they wouldn't fit.  Maybe an e-mail to Sigma to ask them to confirm if the lenses are the same dimensions, when reading the specs on their site they certainly seem to be.

Edited by Boojay

I honestly think you are probably just fine as long as you are not jumping up and down with it, etc. The CL has an L mount, same as the SL cameras. It should have the same strength as the rest of them. The main difference would be the body housing, which again, is thick anodized aluminum. If you were talking about the 90-280mm zoom or the S 120mm, I might agree with you, but both of those lenses come with a tripod foot (or the adapter does, in the case of the S). I think if Sigma were at all worried about it, they would have provisioned for one. Support the lens as you shoot with it, and if you are worried about the lens during transport, I would suggest using a camera bag, which will support the camera body, as opposed to have the camera hanging off your shoulder bouncing around while you walk.

Thank you.

So I ordered the Ishoot 66mm stand collar. I hope it will fit the Sigma (65.5mm) well, if not I will return it....

I asked Sigma the question to find out if the 105 macro is identical in E or L mount (bayonet excepted). I don't have the answer yet but I assume they are identical.
The difference between Sony and Leica is the lens release button which is not in the same place. The Sony stand collar is not hollowed out at this location and it rubs against this pusher on the Leica.

Guytou

2 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

I honestly think you are probably just fine as long as you are not jumping up and down with it, etc. The CL has an L mount, same as the SL cameras. It should have the same strength as the rest of them. The main difference would be the body housing, which again, is thick anodized aluminum. If you were talking about the 90-280mm zoom or the S 120mm, I might agree with you, but both of those lenses come with a tripod foot (or the adapter does, in the case of the S). I think if Sigma were at all worried about it, they would have provisioned for one. Support the lens as you shoot with it, and if you are worried about the lens during transport, I would suggest using a camera bag, which will support the camera body, as opposed to have the camera hanging off your shoulder bouncing around while you walk.

Yes Suart, I agree with you.

I am very careful and do not play basketball with my photo equipment...

I think the L bayonet has good strength and the CL case is well built (aluminum + magnesium).
I also found that the Sigma 105 macro (715 g) on the CL isn't that heavy after all.

Freehand or with the monopod, my left hand is naturally placed under the optics for maintenance.
With my new tripod I will install either the tripod collar or a longer quick release plate so that the lens barrel rests on it, relieving the mount from the body (a bit like this : https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65192383?image=0)

I will find a solution...

Guytou

Edited by Guytou
  • Like 1