Ilford HP5+ @ ISO 125. how to dev?

Mucleica

Try this

https://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php?Film=Ilford+HP5%&Developer=HC-110%&mdc=Search&TempUnits=C&TimeUnits=D

and read this

You have to start somewhere and with a single film exposed like that you can't experiment easily. B&W film has a wide latitude, so I'm sure that you will get useable results.

• Thanks 1

Overexposure & underdevelopment should give you a somewhat 'flat' negative, this will be easily corrected in printing or scanned & corrected in post process. What it also should do is give more detail in the shadow areas. As Andy says B/W film has a wide latitude, good luck & do post some results.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mucleica said:

By accident I exposed the HP5 at 125 instead of 400. I have HC110 or Rodinal available. Any good experience here, how to develop it decently?

You aren't that far from a normal exposure. You need to give it a little less development so the highlights don't block. I would try either diluting the developer more (less developer, more water to make-up the required volume), or a slightly shorter development time. For instance, if your normal dev time is "8 minutes in Rodinal at 1:50", I would either try 7 minutes, or a 1:60 dilution. You don't need to make a big change, because that will give you low-contrast negatives.

You'll still get dense negatives, but that can be compensated by longer printing times, or more exposure in your scanner.

So, I did a 1:41 instead of the B 1:31 dilution of Kodak HC-110.
And then my usual 6 minutes at 20 C with 1st minute constant, and then 10 sek per minute agitation.

The negatives look quite good, not to dense. I expect good results later in Lightroom.
I will post once they are dry and 'scaned' with my Nikon D850.

• Like 1

• Like 3