60 vs 120 framerate viewfinder

Mak67

I go with the higher 120 frame rate for the viewfinder.  It makes it feel just like looking through an optical mirror box to me.  The other camera companies vf don’t seem to have this ability so the slower refresh lag is just enough for me to say - I pass.  SL2 was the first elec vf to win me over.  Bu5 I won’t shoot it at 60.

Robb

1 hour ago, robb said:

I go with the higher 120 frame rate for the viewfinder.  It makes it feel just like looking through an optical mirror box to me.  The other camera companies vf don’t seem to have this ability so the slower refresh lag is just enough for me to say - I pass.  SL2 was the first elec vf to win me over.  Bu5 I won’t shoot it at 60.

Robb

At least some Sony, Fuji, Canon, and Nikon cameras support 120 fps in EVF. 

However, 120fps consumes more battery. So I use 60fps with stationary subjects.

Edited by SrMi
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, SrMi said:

At least some Sony, Fuji, Canon, and Nikon cameras support 120 fps in EVF. 

However, 120fps consumes more battery. So I use 60fps with stationary subjects.

While those brands have similar modes for 120 vs 60 recycle rate (now, although not always with some older models) they are all still missing the mojo that Leica uses so they still feel scratchy and less clean and smooth.  

so big thumbs up to Leica for the sl2.  At 120 setting the best mirrorless viewfinder experience by far than anything else.

Robb

• Like 2

I started to use 120fps  in the EVF when I got my SL2 and SL2-S.
Before I had SL 601  with 60fps and was amassed how good the EVF was.
SL2 and SL2-S is better but it is not a quantum leap in quality for me so 
few months ago I switched back to the 60fps in the EVF.

I did that because this give me longer battery life in my SL2-S.
EVF use some power, how much I don't know, but switching back from 120fps
to the 60fps it uses at least 2x less, i think... I noticed that by shutting during 
my photo walks or in studio. 

Last month I had shooting in my studio, some fashion collection, and got 
almost 970 photos from one battery.
I think that the battery was around 90% charged. The shooting lasted around 2 hours
and was fast paced. I had my camera all the time on with the power saving off...
I did't used camera menu and from time to time I showed some photos that I made
to the designer. The EVF was on the 60fps and I think that is also what prolonged
battery life so I made this amount of photos.

At the end, after the  photo shooting, I noticed that the battery icon in the menu
showed one line left.  I think that mean it still around 20% of power left inside the 
battery.

My eyes don't see to big difference in picture quality inside the EVF
when I use 120fps vs. 60fps and the benefit of little longer battery life 
is to me more important so now I use 60fps refresh rate in the EVF...

Nikola

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, Mak67 said:

but did you compared 60 vs 120 ? Or just using 120 as default ?

Asking, cause i tryed both and dont see any difference ....

I was not wow’d by the SL viewfinder even though when it came out it was the best looking compared to everything else out there.  

yes, I have shot with the sl2 and sl2-s at 60.  It’s better than the SL but still not as smooth as using 120.  It’s noticeable to me.  I’ll gladly carry more batteries no problem to get that feel.  If you don’t notice a difference then keep rolling and congrats.  But for me it is there.  It’s a big enough deal that if the SL3 only had the 60 mode, I’d just keep my 4 sl2/s and not upgrade…. 

Robb

Interesting. It is a total non-issue for me. I also stick with 60fps and feel like there was no significant difference to me. If there was a difference, it was that 60fps appeared sharper. I can tell the difference in refresh rate, but it does not bother me at all. I am not shooting a lot of action or doing a lot of tracking with a telephoto etc. If I did I might use 120. But now I think I understand why it seemed strange to me when people complained about the battery life in the SL2. I have found it to be quite good. It is nothing like the S cameras, but it is still pretty robust for me.

Either way, the EVF in the SL2 is the best I have seen, but it does not appear at all like an SLR to me. Coming from the S cameras, all EVFs still look like a screen. I think we are still at least a decade if not decades away from something that approaches a mirror or optical viewfinder in terms of fidelity. EVFs are a trade-off. They are useful for seeing exactly the settings you are shooting and the contrast detect focus on the sensor means that you nearly always have perfect focus, but they cannot compare to a good OVF when it comes to color fidelity, contrast range or clarity, especially in bright conditions or dark conditions. In overcast light or indoors, EVF's are at their best. 

• Like 3