IDS M11 Grip anyone?

kinetic

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone gotten an IDSworks grip for their M11?

https://idsworks.store/pages/ids-m11-grip-features

I'm not sure how it'll feel, but I think I may need to just buy it to try it for my hand. If anyone has this and can give a review, maybe even photos, that would be great! I'm looking at getting a black one for my black m11.

I have the leica Grip and love it.  I don't see a benefit on the idsworks version over the leica aesthetically or in function. Actually it seems a little bulkier at the base. The Leica looks like it's part of the body.  Price wise 100 bucks would not make my mind change. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Photoworks said:

I am waiting for IDS v2.0, I want the USB-C opening to work

Using the leica grip for now...

How it doesnt work right now? Thought the whole usb c and battery compartments are open?

but may be i’d prefer the leica grip over this for m11

Purchased the black + walnut grip to compliment my black m11.

my reasoning for choosing the ids over the Leica handgrip is very frivolous: I find the handgrip attachment point to be an eyesore. 

I don’t have any issues with access to the usb-c port. The addition of the grip does further recess the port but for reference my primary usb-c cable is the Apple iPad cable. 

Very happy with the fit/finish but have a minor gripe with the mount that I’ll detail later. As a small nit pick you can see from my photo that the finish does not match the cameras.

here is a list of my critiques:

1) unable to remove battery with grip attached. I’m unsure if this is due to machining tolerances or user error and it doesn’t bother me enough to seek comment. No matter how I try to position the alignment the battery release latch will work but the battery seems to catch on something and won’t release sufficiently to allow you to complete the release operation by pushing down (from my tries pushing just reinserts the battery). Not a deal breaker for me as I primarily charge through usb-c and for my workflow I transfer photos via WiFi. This came into focus when I needed access to the SD card to install 1.6.1 firmware as I preferred to do so from the SD card although I am aware it’s possible to perform through Leica FOTOs and may opt to do so in future.

2) I have accidentally opened the battery/usb port cover a number of times from normal usage. I suspect I’m catching the latch that protrudes slightly. Would prefer a “stronger” latch or magnetic connector but not a deal breaker.

3) This is very pedantic but the provided tripod mount screw is just a plain screw. I would prefer a wider knurled screw that can be loosened by hand (a la kamerakraft grips) again not a deal breaker.

Hope this is helpful. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 2

On 3/13/2023 at 6:17 PM, jakontil said:

How it doesnt work right now? Thought the whole usb c and battery compartments are open?

but may be i’d prefer the leica grip over this for m11

there is a door that needs to be open, but he didn't consider that you can use usb-c when you shooting, and keeping door open for it is stupid

7 hours ago, Photoworks said:

there is a door that needs to be open, but he didn't consider that you can use usb-c when you shooting, and keeping door open for it is stupid

Ahhhh oke now i figured! 

20 hours ago, Chuponjr said:

Purchased the black + walnut grip to compliment my black m11.

my reasoning for choosing the ids over the Leica handgrip is very frivolous: I find the handgrip attachment point to be an eyesore. 

I don’t have any issues with access to the usb-c port. The addition of the grip does further recess the port but for reference my primary usb-c cable is the Apple iPad cable. 

Very happy with the fit/finish but have a minor gripe with the mount that I’ll detail later. As a small nit pick you can see from my photo that the finish does not match the cameras.

here is a list of my critiques:

1) unable to remove battery with grip attached. I’m unsure if this is due to machining tolerances or user error and it doesn’t bother me enough to seek comment. No matter how I try to position the alignment the battery release latch will work but the battery seems to catch on something and won’t release sufficiently to allow you to complete the release operation by pushing down (from my tries pushing just reinserts the battery). Not a deal breaker for me as I primarily charge through usb-c and for my workflow I transfer photos via WiFi. This came into focus when I needed access to the SD card to install 1.6.1 firmware as I preferred to do so from the SD card although I am aware it’s possible to perform through Leica FOTOs and may opt to do so in future.

2) I have accidentally opened the battery/usb port cover a number of times from normal usage. I suspect I’m catching the latch that protrudes slightly. Would prefer a “stronger” latch or magnetic connector but not a deal breaker.

3) This is very pedantic but the provided tripod mount screw is just a plain screw. I would prefer a wider knurled screw that can be loosened by hand (a la kamerakraft grips) again not a deal breaker.

Hope this is helpful. 

From the photos and details description seem it works as it’s intended to… but looks lovely 

I got the IDS grip with the black walnut finish. I specifically chose it over the Leica grip as I wanted something a bit different. I love the fit and finish and also the functionality with easy access to the USB port and the battery. Fortunately I have no issues with accessing the battery through the grip without it getting stuck. 

While I had the M10, I bought the Kamerakraft grip (whose the IDS is "inspired") .Sold it (loosing some money) after  the M. So now that M11 provides an easy acces to battery/memory card I do not need a 300USD accessory.

About the grip, I am just happy with the light and cheap "thumbie", and when needed, a simple Arca plate, light and cheap as well.  That's for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gelatino said:

While I had the M10, I bought the Kamerakraft grip (whose the IDS is "inspired") .Sold it (loosing some money) after  the M. So now that M11 provides an easy acces to battery/memory card I do not need a 300USD accessory.

About the grip, I am just happy with the light and cheap "thumbie", and when needed, a simple Arca plate, light and cheap as well.  That's for me.

i have and still using the kamerakraft on my m10r, love it's details and design, only add more heft to the m10r, sometimes i feel overwhelmed but the direct battery door and sdcard even more practical than my m11 since i dont have to take the battery out, but again, the m11 can just use the usb C for easier way

M11 kamerakraft is coming rather sooner but i think i prefer to keep it compact and use a general arca swiss plate when needed.... i always use the thumb grips 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hi all,

Can anyone here perhaps comment on how much bulk the IDS grip adds to the M11 compared to the Leica grip? I would prefer the less bulky option.

With the Q3 for example, the bottom plate of the IDS grip was quite thinner than the bottom plate of the Leica grip so I preferred (and purchased) the IDS grip and was very happy with it. Comparing the 2 bottom plates of the grips for the M11 when looking on pictures, they look similar in thickness though.

Hope someone could help shed a light here. Thank you in advance for your responses!

N.

19 hours ago, NghiaVuong said:

Hi all,

Can anyone here perhaps comment on how much bulk the IDS grip adds to the M11 compared to the Leica grip? I would prefer the less bulky option.

With the Q3 for example, the bottom plate of the IDS grip was quite thinner than the bottom plate of the Leica grip so I preferred (and purchased) the IDS grip and was very happy with it. Comparing the 2 bottom plates of the grips for the M11 when looking on pictures, they look similar in thickness though.

Hope someone could help shed a light here. Thank you in advance for your responses!

N.

I've never had or used an IDS grip. Until you replied to this thread, I've even forgotten I have a grip. it's just such a crucial part of my camera now that I don't even notice it.

There are two versions of the IDS Grip for the M10 series.  The cheaper one ($200+) has a fairly thick bottom plate.  This has a 1/4x20 bottom screw and ARCA dovetails.  It has an INTERNAL place to put a SD spare.

The more expensive ($300) has a removable bottom plate.... That plate allows for tripod mounting.... Underneath it is a thinner plate that would be thinner than the Leica one, and therefore less bulky.....  The extra removable plate has enough thickness for the 1/4x20 screw to grip.  The underplate has a metric screw hole.

Both had ARCA dovetail and trap doors to reach the battery, etc.  The more expensive also has a trap door to an EXTERNAL place to keep a spare SD.

I have neither, but looking to acquire a grip for my M10.  I am doing a lot of research.  Really want a grip with ARCA  dovetail AND  trap door to the battery AND a Portrait mode ARCA DT.  AFAIK, never existed, with the RRS coming in close, but no trap doors.

Most of the grips made seem to be pretty much the same overall size... I am not sure there is a lot of bulk difference other than the IDS model noted above.

@FrankF thank you so much for this detailed description, which also convinced me to purchase the IDS grip ($300 option). As mentioned, I had the IDS grip on my Q3 and was very happy with it. What I liked was the build quality, weight and modest size profile (my hands are not small but certainly also not large).