Macro lenses for SL2.. what have we got? What are we using?

Kristofferpaulsen

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So i’ve realised that sometimes I need to get closer than the 90mm or the 90-280 lets me get in the studio. Not necessarily inches away type macro, just less than 80cm or whatever the 90 APO MFD is. 

On investigation, there’s the Sigma 100mm, but also the option of adapting one of the older Elmar, Elmarit, Elmarit APO etc R lens. 

Anybody got any experience with the R macros and adapting vs the Sigma? Love to hear thoughts!

cheers!

24 minutes ago, Kristofferpaulsen said:

So i’ve realised that sometimes I need to get closer than the 90mm or the 90-280 lets me get in the studio. Not necessarily inches away type macro, just less than 80cm or whatever the 90 APO MFD is. 

On investigation, there’s the Sigma 100mm, but also the option of adapting one of the older Elmar, Elmarit, Elmarit APO etc R lens. 

Anybody got any experience with the R macros and adapting vs the Sigma? Love to hear thoughts!

cheers!

These guys exhaust the possibilities of Leica Macro and show hands on demonstrations on each system including R lenses S lenses etc. It was enlightening  

• Like 2

I owned the 100mm APO-Elmarit-R Macro and 1:1 adapter for many years (at least 20). I did a head to head comparison to the current Sigma 105, the Summarit-S 120 mm Macro, and the Elmarit-R a few years back, when I was an early SL2 adopter. I kind of wish I had written it up, it was interesting.  Frankly, I couldn't tell much performance difference for my purposes, and the Sigma compared very favorably to the famous Elmarit-R. I did think the bokeh of the S lens was a little bit nicer than either of the others. I decided to keep the S lens and Sigma. Fast forward a few years, and I'm selling the S lens and S to L adapter since they have sat unused for 2 years--largely due to bulk and inconvenience of carrying more bits of gear. I focus mostly on nature photography, so I like the lighter Sigma lens. If I were studio based, I'd probably lean towards the Summarit-S.

• Like 1

Elpro Macro attachment for M TL lens 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I have the APO Macro Elmarit-R 100mm f/2.8.  First with an adapter for M, but the SL2 is a much better platform for macro.  For critical focusing and down to the ground work I use an Atmos Shinobi external monitor.

Con : no AF (I do not miss it)

Pro : fast, good working distance and very sharp

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Stef63 said:

I have the APO Macro Elmarit-R 100mm f/2.8.  First with an adapter for M, but the SL2 is a much better platform for macro.  For critical focusing and down to the ground work I use an Atmos Shinobi external monitor.

Con : no AF (I do not miss it)

Pro : fast, good working distance and very sharp

Yeah this is the one im finding most interesting!!

2 hours ago, JeffWright said:

I owned the 100mm APO-Elmarit-R Macro and 1:1 adapter for many years (at least 20). I did a head to head comparison to the current Sigma 105, the Summarit-S 120 mm Macro, and the Elmarit-R a few years back, when I was an early SL2 adopter. I kind of wish I had written it up, it was interesting.  Frankly, I couldn't tell much performance difference for my purposes, and the Sigma compared very favorably to the famous Elmarit-R. I did think the bokeh of the S lens was a little bit nicer than either of the others. I decided to keep the S lens and Sigma. Fast forward a few years, and I'm selling the S lens and S to L adapter since they have sat unused for 2 years--largely due to bulk and inconvenience of carrying more bits of gear. I focus mostly on nature photography, so I like the lighter Sigma lens. If I were studio based, I'd probably lean towards the Summarit-S.

Yeah and i mean… for the price can’t go wrong, right?

• Thanks 1

Suggest to take a look at the 70mm macro from Sigma. Works very well for me on the SL2 and is a kind of budget solution for occasional macro shoots. This link should get you to posts of this combination here in the forum: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/search/?&q=Macro 70mm sigma&author=hofo100&search_and_or=and

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Pierre68 said:

Anyone using macro to duplicate negative or slide with the SL2 and what do you use?

I've been using an old Yashica 55/2.8 macro for medium format and largers negs. It works fine, but I only use this workflow for cataloging. The best negs go to a service bureau to be scanned/printed.

The Yashica macro only goes to 1:2, so I would need an extension tube to do 1:1 copies of 35mm negatives.

The Summicron-SL lenses are very good but perform poorly in macro.

I have the 12 and 24-mm extension tubes, the images look terrible.

It is better to get a proper macro lens like the sigma 105mm.

The resolution of the sigma 70mm is quite good but based on a DSLR lens.

budget are lenses from Laowa macro lens, or the Iris 150mm macro lens + adapter

• Like 1

Just now, Pierre68 said:

Yes the 105 macro from sigma has been tempting me for sometime.

Does any one know of some film or slide holder that could be adapted on this lens to duplicate slides or negs?

Been minimal focus distance 11inch  for 1:1 macro i think it is hard to find.

The Nikon Copier works on a 60mm lens

4 hours ago, Pierre68 said:

Anyone using macro to duplicate negative or slide with the SL2 and what do you use?

High end options for using your camera as a scanner:  https://www.negative.supply

More reasonably priced option is: https://clifforth.co.uk

I use the 100-APO-MACRO-R and the Elpro adapter to get to a 1:1 reproduction ration on the SL2-S.  Either way, a very stiff copy stand is a must.

• Like 2

I have both the 120mm APO Macro Summarit S (because I used to be an S shooter) and the Sigma 105mm Macro. I have used both side by side for negative copying and general work. I am quite demanding when it comes to lenses, and I can say that the 105mm Sigma is extremely good. I saw no real difference in sharpness vs the S lens, and it works very well at infinity too. I would say for work on the SL cameras, the 105mm Sigma is the best current macro option. The S lens is lovely and has beautiful photos, but it is a lot bigger and heavier, and also a lot more expensive, particularly if you do not already have the S adpter L. Furthermore, it only focuses to 1 to 2, and there is no elpro for it to get to 1 to 1. It also has very slow AF that makes a lot of noise and extends the front element out. The Sigma, by contrast, focuses 1 to 1 and uses an ultrasonic motor. The S lens has true mechanical focus, while the Sigma is focus by wire, which works, but it is not quite as nice. The 120mm APO was and is one of my favorite lenses of all time, but the Sigma 105mm is truly impressive, and it is a much better fit for close up work on the SL, I think. It is way ahead of any of the other DG DN Sigma lenses I have used when it comes to optical performance. I did not notice any real fringing or LOCA, and it is sharp edge to edge wide open. Truly a great value.

• Like 4

I have the Apo-Macro-Elmarit-R 100 and 1:1 Elpro which I use exclusively for negative digitising with the SL2-S. Not much I can say except that it is 1:1 and does the job. No sign of field curvature. I thought of other possible lenses, but given that I am likely to want to keep it for a good while with limited use, I reckoned it would earn its keep by appreciating in value.

I use the 24-90 SL zoom at 90 for 5x4 negative digitising. At 90mm it frames a 5x4 pretty exactly.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuart Richardson said:

I have both the 120mm APO Macro Summarit S (because I used to be an S shooter) and the Sigma 105mm Macro. I have used both side by side for negative copying and general work. I am quite demanding when it comes to lenses, and I can say that the 105mm Sigma is extremely good. I saw no real difference in sharpness vs the S lens, and it works very well at infinity too. I would say for work on the SL cameras, the 105mm Sigma is the best current macro option. The S lens is lovely and has beautiful photos, but it is a lot bigger and heavier, and also a lot more expensive, particularly if you do not already have the S adpter L. Furthermore, it only focuses to 1 to 2, and there is no elpro for it to get to 1 to 1. It also has very slow AF that makes a lot of noise and extends the front element out. The Sigma, by contrast, focuses 1 to 1 and uses an ultrasonic motor. The S lens has true mechanical focus, while the Sigma is focus by wire, which works, but it is not quite as nice. The 120mm APO was and is one of my favorite lenses of all time, but the Sigma 105mm is truly impressive, and it is a much better fit for close up work on the SL, I think. It is way ahead of any of the other DG DN Sigma lenses I have used when it comes to optical performance. I did not notice any real fringing or LOCA, and it is sharp edge to edge wide open. Truly a great value.

Great to hear. Thank you!

• Like 1