Positive Comments?

palker

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Real Ale:

Supreme Champion

Gold Hobsons Mild

Silver Mighty Oak Maldon Gold

Bronze Green Jack Ripper

Milds

Gold Hobsons Mild

Silver Nottingham Rock Mild

Bronze Brains Dark

Bitters

Gold Castle Rock Harvest Pale

Silver Twickenham Crane Sundancer

Joint Bronze Surrey Hills Ranmore Ale & Fyne Piper's Gold

Best Bitters

Gold Purple Moose Glaslyn Ale

Silver George Wright Pipe Dream

Joint Bronze Fuller's London Pride & Nethergate Suffolk County & Station House Buzzin'

Strong Bitters

Gold York Centurion's Ghost

Silver Inveralmond Lia Fail

Bronze Brains SA Gold

Speciality Beers

Gold Nethergate Umbel Magna

Silver Little Valley Hebden Wheat

Bronze St Peter's Grapefruit

Golden Ales

Gold Mighty Oak Maldon Gold

Silver Oak Leaf Hole Hearted

Bronze Otley 01

CAMRA Bottle-conditioned Beers

Gold O'Hanlon's Port Stout

Silver Titanic Stout & Wye Valley Dorothy Goodbody's Wholesome Stout

Bronze Wapping Baltic Gold

Others:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Carsten's right - the Brits make the best beer and the north Germans and the Belgians are quickly getting the hang of it.

Actually, the Germans started it, I do believe. They at least have the oldest still running brewery in the world: Weihenstephan, established 1040, IIRC.

I do happen to prefer a good British ale, but the German Weizenbier is also amazingly good. Although I come from Denmark, I have nothing good to say about Lager and Pilsner, so I will say nothing.

Well as I managed to introduce the tangent to my own tirade about going off thread .. Beer .. well only the Belgian can make beer that you drink till you pass out and the next day get up .. bright as a new penny .. they can manage to make beer stonger than wine, and easier to drink - no spoon needed.

It was my preference to drinking beer to taking photos that introduced me to my first auto focus camera .. bloody brilliant idea .. all I had to do was be sober enough to remeber where I put it down, and then thank the people who handed it to me with comments like "you left it at the bar"

Auto flash, image stabilisation, auto advance, auto focus (even helps find which glass to pick up), what else can there be?

BTW is a Troll = Piss Head, I missed the definition.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well as I managed to introduce the tangent to my own tirade about going off thread .. Beer .. well only the Belgian can make beer that you drink till you pass out and the next day get up .. bright as a new penny .. they can manage to make beer stonger than wine, and easier to drink - no spoon needed.

It was my preference to drinking beer to taking photos that introduced me to my first auto focus camera .. bloody brilliant idea .. all I had to do was be sober enough to remeber where I put it down, and then thank the people who handed it to me with comments like "you left it at the bar"

Auto flash, image stabilisation, auto advance, auto focus (even helps find which glass to pick up), what else can there be?

BTW is a Troll = Piss Head, I missed the definition.

Spot on! A true photographer schhpeaking, hic.

I did drink quite a bit of that while I was in Berlin, and very good it was too <burp>

This seriously off-topic thread is showing us all up for what we truly are - afficionados of the finer things in life - bars, beer and a befuddled perspective on life seen through the bottom of a glass, or alternatively, through the glassy bit of an M8. Either way, we all think we're seeing things right and everybody else wants to argue about it.

So, in a desperate attempt to get this thread back on track (i.e. as per the first post) .... if the forum doesn't welcome relatively uninformed views or amateurish questions, pretty soon it will become a small collective of self-serving old gits - just like the guys you see propping up bars all over the World. Er, um, sounds familiar....

So, in a desperate attempt to get this thread back on track (i.e. as per the first post) .... if the forum doesn't welcome relatively uninformed views or amateurish questions, pretty soon it will become a small collective of self-serving old gits - just like the guys you see propping up bars all over the World. Er, um, sounds familiar....

Ah yes, that reminds me of some of the folks who frequent my favorite real ale pub when I get back to the UK. Can you spell CAMRA? - horribly unfair generalization but they do flock to my local and are entertaining as a race of their own (ramblers too ... ). :D

Note: I'm totally in support of what they do for us real beer (or bear) drinkers btw. I mourn the increasing loss of real pubs to homogenized theme bars serving something approximating to kidney reprocessed real ale.

VB...FOSTERS:confused: :eek::mad: Guess it sells well over there. I mean when you are up against germanys best where they have to sell it by the litre at octoberfest just to get anyone to drink it. Kind of like a five schooner date huh.

Gee you can tell who the Euros and the Poms are.

Next they will be on about the over rated Swiss and Belgian chocolates. I mean how can these poor blokes begin to appreciate dairy like Aus and New Zealand, and understand just a plain block at coles trumps their chernobyl bitter.

I reckon next they will be telling us how damned good Canon are.

My G2 packed up today. Well, the screen did. Still works but how do you even knokw what ISO you have dialed in. Jap crap. Its only taken about five three metre falls with a tripod base attached, only dunked in the sea once. Been through a fire. Never tried a washing machine. Maybe I should have washed it.

Positive comments.

Get your digit out of the socket. Its live.

Honey that is a lovely dress.

Love the new hair doo.

Um...there is still air in the remaining three.

It'll be right, just chuck some ice in the beer.

And waving the Leica invoice in pounds sterling... "Yes of course it is in Aus dollars!"

I want to see M8 examples supporting the reason why we have these cameras, with explanation of the location, time of day, exposure selected, under/over exposure. Software used, settings selected. I want to know about the balance of 'in-camera' settings vs desk top software. I want to know about people who shoot 10 pics a month vs those who take 10,000. Maybe some pen profile ?

Get the chip off your shoulder, man. It's not our responsibility to educate you. Participation in a forum can be a time consuming activity. Few here have the time to devote to the kind of detailed explanations of our work that you seem to think we owe you. On the other hand, I have never seen anyone on this forum refuse to answer legitimate questions about an image they have posted. I just don't think there should be an expectation of that kind of time committment for every post--particularly when there are flowers out there for us to shoot with out Noctilux. And beers to drink.

The element of street photography is the biggest attraction to the M range, but how many people can do it? I can't, I strugle to get the right balance, intimate, and observation .. I have not yet made a photo which I could feel proud to post. They miss a subtle element which adds the interest to elevate the picture from a drab uninvolved 'snap'.

Let me work from this more constructive part of your post. If you search around here, you'll find some very interesting threads that really are about photography itself. Sometimes they're in the general digital forum. Smokysun is one very curious and awake forum member who usually shows up in interesting threads about photography as a medium, so maybe you'd like to do a search for his name and see what threads come up.

Next idea: Start the kinds of threads that you would find valuable and see what happens. Its more effective, ultimately, to try to create what you want than it is to criticize the absence of that. Speaking generally, for every person who actually creates something, there are ten, a hundred or even a thousand who are content to simply criticize it. I'd rather be the former than the latter. Thankfully, the former exist or we'd likely not have discovered fire yet. That's not to say that criticism can't be constructive but its most useful if it leads to some kind of progress, improvement, etc.

I don't think there really is such a thing as "street photography" but that genre of pictures, broadly considered as pictures of people in public places, is only tangentially reliant on technical skill. The real skills of that are visual and the best clues to them come from painting, which is where Winogrand started and where Cartier-Bresson ended up. "Street Photography", if there can be such a thing, is really an evolution of pictures made of figures in the landscape, a very old and resilient subject that has spanned much of the history of visual art, secular and religious. The clues and the things to learn from lie largely in that history which includes photography, but only as a very recent and young branch of an old tree.

Cheers,

Sean

I....I guess I'll drop in here every so often, ..... once a month and you are up to date.

Well that really will be our great loss won't it?

You give the impression you are owed a photography education here. Had you trawled the archives and asked an interesting question you would have been well rewarded I am sure, whether your now disclosed arrogance deserves reward is another matter however. This thread has given amusement with it's beery tangents, but you squandered an opportunity to tap into the forum's knowledge with this thread by choosing to swagger instead of ask. If, as you suggest, you really do want to learn, then the beery fun had at your expense is your loss and no-one else's.

We will all wait with baited breath of course for your next missive in one month's time because we will have been deprived of your stimulation.

There again, we might be out photographing instead; using the knowledge gained here to get the most out of our equipment.

................... Chris

We've got a photo forum that folks don't want to post photos in and a bar where no-one talks about beer (or bears). :D:D

Hello Pete,

Good points - no photos and no beer, or bears. However, amongst your wonderful photos you have a collection of images of East Anglia (by the familiar descriptions you give your Cambridge shots I wonder, is it your alma mater)?

Pin Mill features large in this collection - and (in my best Suufffolk accent) there be the 'Butt 'n' Oyster', a good pub with stilt be'er beer. View out pub winder in't bad either. Next time I'm there I think I'll take me CAMRA, er, camera.

Pin Mill is on the River Orwell - a very beautiful stretch of water in a subtly beguiling county ... but just a little north east, on the other side of the pensinsula made by the two rivers, flows the Deben. This is my river and it is the most beautiful river in England (undisputed fact - like Brits make the best beer and the Lotus Elan Sprint 1972 is the automotive equivalent of Kate Moss - small, perfectly formed, fiesty and maybe just a little unreliable ...).

There are those who say the M8 is not a landscape camera, but one day I'll travel back to Suffolk, M8 in hand and complete a series on the Deben. It won't be my skill that makes the series a good one - it'll be the camera and that photogenic river.

Right now I'm stuck here in boring old Vienna (there's really nothing to do or see in this old town) - so here's my challenge:

Can somebody beat me to it and produce the definitive Deben scenes a la M8? It would make an expatriate's heart sing.

I'm lying by the way - Vienna is even better than good (Suffolk) beer ....

The real skills of that are visual and the best clues to them come from painting, which is where Winogrand started and where Cartier-Bresson ended up. "Street Photography", if there can be such a thing, is really an evolution of pictures made of figures in the landscape, a very old and resilient subject that has spanned much of the history of visual art, secular and religious. The clues and the things to learn from lie largely in that history which includes photography, but only as a very recent and young branch of an old tree.Sean

Good post, Sean.

I'm struck by reports of the immense archives of some of the most noted photographers. Thousands of no-doubt brilliant images that didn't quite measure up at the time----ignored or selected-out by the photographer or editor. If one of the "Greats" were to look though your or my oeuvre, I suspect that he or she would find some nuggets that we didn't have the eye to recognize and would quickly make room for them by removing from the wall some of our prized prints.

IMO, only half the challenge is inventing or catching the right subject or decisive moments and to do so with technical competence. The other half is to recognize what must be put aside----not to fall in love with our own luck or cleverness----and to recognize the difference between tradition and cliche. For me, that's the slowest learning curve in photography. That's what I look for and would like to see more of (accomplished thoughtfully and respectully:) ) in this and other forums.

Good post, Sean.

I'm struck by reports of the immense archives of some of the most noted photographers. Thousands of no-doubt brilliant images that didn't quite measure up at the time----ignored or selected-out by the photographer or editor. If one of the "Greats" were to look though your or my oeuvre, I suspect that he or she would find some nuggets that we didn't have the eye to recognize and would quickly make room for them by removing from the wall some of our prized prints.

What I've found interesting are the number of stories of not just immense archives but often hundreds or thousands of un-developed films. Garry Winograd being a case in point. What gems never even saw the light of day, let alone get edited out.

I remember those marathon threads , they started in the old forum ( the better ones ).

The trouble was that most of those threads were propped up by Wayne(Smokysun) and I with few other than Sean participating.

Eventually we ran out of steam and the other contributing factor to their demise was the M8 which swamped all the postings as well as a shift in the type of forum members.