Positive Comments?

palker

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What I've found interesting are the number of stories of not just immense archives but often hundreds or thousands of un-developed films. Garry Winograd being a case in point. What gems never even saw the light of day, let alone get edited out.

I was thinking of Winograd also. Whether film or digi, the dividing line between "undeveloped" and "barely considered" hardly matters in some cases. It's sometimes just more fun (or urgent) to be out in action than it is to pour over images time and again in order to select and post-process or print. But this also gets to my point about how crucial is one's commitment to- and skills for editing.

I have my 22" home monitor set on screen-saver slideshow and linked to my personal photo files. These folders are more or (frequently) less edited. Means that nearly every day I catch a glance at older and forgotten pics. Very pleasant. But occasionally, I'm stunned by a few seconds of a shot that I see with a new appreciation. Happened yesterday and I went back to find it. Turns out that I have about 5 slightly different perspectives and frames of the subject. Lack of editing confidence kept me from selecting one best. So there they sit.

Ended up with a heap of great books via the threads along with a heap of interesting photographer sites both mainstream and "alternative".

Lately I have scoured the second hand shops for old books on B&W printing and seeing what sensabilities can be applied to digital. What it does is place the importance of the DSLR into the background as all that is needed is a good sensor and lens....the rest is personal choice. Interesting i.t also undermines the use of the small sensor camera as a starting point for B&W digitally printed images

May start a thread on this........meanwhile I will just churn out more wonderfull crap :D

I have my 22" home monitor set on screen-saver slideshow and linked to my personal photo files. These folders are more or (frequently) less edited. Means that nearly every day I catch a glance at older and forgotten pics. Very pleasant. But occasionally, I'm stunned by a few seconds of a shot that I see with a new appreciation. Happened yesterday and I went back to find it. Turns out that I have about 5 slightly different perspectives and frames of the subject. Lack of editing confidence kept me from selecting one best. So there they sit.

Exactly! I have the same setup and it's amazing how valuable it is in helping to forge my photographic direction and goals. As time goes on I realize that most of my images are crap, but the few good ones that stay with me serve as seeds for further work. The result is that ever so gradually my batting average improves (to me at least), and new, interesting directions grow from that again. I think having a screensaver-slideshow of your own work is a great idea.

I remember those marathon threads , they started in the old forum ( the better ones ).

The trouble was that most of those threads were propped up by Wayne(Smokysun) and I with few other than Sean participating.

Eventually we ran out of steam and the other contributing factor to their demise was the M8 which swamped all the postings as well as a shift in the type of forum members.

Hi Imants,

Perhaps now, as the M8 has become a more or less known quantity (which we can see by the number of topics that are recycled in the forum) there might be more of a drift towards discussing photography itself. That could be interesting.

Cheers,

Sean

The other half is to recognize what must be put aside----not to fall in love with our own luck or cleverness----and to recognize the difference between tradition and cliche.

..or even to fall in love with some of our own pictures, which can make us blind to the ways in which they hold us back. Recognizing the difference between tradition and cliche is very important.

Cheers,

Sean

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ended up with a heap of great books via the threads along with a heap of interesting photographer sites both mainstream and "alternative".

Lately I have scoured the second hand shops for old books on B&W printing and seeing what sensabilities can be applied to digital. What it does is place the importance of the DSLR into the background as all that is needed is a good sensor and lens....the rest is personal choice. Interesting i.t also undermines the use of the small sensor camera as a starting point for B&W digitally printed images

May start a thread on this........:D

That could be an interesting thread.

Cheers,

Sean

Yea there are a fair few clues why small sensors results don't work well print wise.......... still thinking and playing with a few ideas........have to figure how to make it all come together

..or even to fall in love with some of our own pictures, which can make us blind to the ways in which they hold us back

Successful editing is very hard IMHO, much harder than taking the photographs in the first place. It sometimes seems like you're choosing between your children, and that's the problem - the emotional attachment not only to the photograph, but also to the circumstances under which it was taken.

Guest malland
Yea there are a fair few clues why small sensors results don't work well print wise.........
Please elaborate as this is a subject that interests me, not having anything but small sensor cameras now, except for the M6, with which I haven't shot for 14 months.

This small-sensor shot produced a good, rich, print that I like:

1808105237_948d5eb3a5_o.jpg

—Mitch/Paris

Flickr: Photos from Mitch Alland

Successful editing is very hard IMHO, much harder than taking the photographs in the first place. It sometimes seems like you're choosing between your children, and that's the problem - the emotional attachment not only to the photograph, but also to the circumstances under which it was taken.

"Successful editing is very hard IMHO" - something worth practising Steve.

"It sometimes seems like you're choosing between your children". - another thing you have absolutely no experience of, I presume.

:D:D:D

Rolo

"It sometimes seems like you're choosing between your children". - another thing you have absolutely no experience of, I presume.

No I haven't <grin>

I practice a lot - with the editing, not the children I hasten to add - but while I find it really easy to edit down to say a handful, iut's selecting that last one or two that I find difficult.

Hi Imants,

Perhaps now, as the M8 has become a more or less known quantity (which we can see by the number of topics that are recycled in the forum) there might be more of a drift towards discussing photography itself. That could be interesting.

Cheers,

Sean

Careful mate!! Thats precisely the sentiment that got this thread started.

:D

............. as we all know a ferrets nest as this one will not change its stripes:cool:

I am sure Sean will be forgiven if there is a slight feather ruffle:D

That's absolutely true. And its so easy to become attached to the content of a photo even when the form is weak. And here I'm not necessarily thinking about familiar subjects but rather subjects that one likes very much *as they exist in the picture*.

Cheers,

Sean